Amtrak Storm Cancellations

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan

Amtrak Storm Cancellations

Unread post by Super Chief »

WWMT 3 just announced Amtraks 350 & 355 are cancelled due to todays snowstorms and bitter cold. Must not want to hit a crossing snow pile at 110 mph and hope for the best, they've had 3 accidents involving Michigan trains this month.

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Re: Amtrak Storm Cancellations

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

There are also multi-day limited cancellations from Chicago to St. Louis, Milwaukee, and Carbondale. Most likely they are trying to protect equipment from deep freezing away from terminals where things can't be warmed back up. Horizon cars with their exposed undercarriage piping are notorious for freezing solid.

In Michigan, just 350/355 are affected. Blue Water and Pere Marquette are expected to operate as normal.

PatAzo
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PatAzo »

Better to deal with delayed passengers sitting at a station than dealing with delayed passengers sitting on a train stuck along the country side.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

Trying to keep CUS fluid. Less equipment running is less stuff to break, so the folks at CUS can keep up and have enough equipment.

At least the deep freeze is temporary. It'll be 40+ in Chicago by the weekend and everything will thaw.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Unread post by Ypsi »

According to snow drifts I observed before and after 2 pm 350 ran. 350 and 355 both have statues tonight.
Attachments
IMG_1977.PNG
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown

9xs
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by 9xs »

ITCS apparently turned off so the limit is now 79

NSSD70ACe
The Conrail Guru

Unread post by NSSD70ACe »

9xs wrote:ITCS apparently turned off so the limit is now 79
Could also be speed restrictions. Saw a post from Metra indicating that speed restrictions would be in place when the temperature hits zero. Not sure if that factors in windchill or not.
:roll:

the contents of the above post are my opinion and mine alone, and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

DaveO
Read more, think more, post less

Unread post by DaveO »

NSSD70ACe wrote:
9xs wrote:ITCS apparently turned off so the limit is now 79
Could also be speed restrictions. Saw a post from Metra indicating that speed restrictions would be in place when the temperature hits zero. Not sure if that factors in windchill or not.
Wind chill has no meaning with regards to inanimate objects.
Welded rail can pull apart in extreme cold which is likely the reason for temporary speed restrictions.

Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Super Chief »

Well with Horizon cars known to freeze up, wind chill underneath the cars at 110mph must be a female dog to thaw out at end terminals. I thought the speed restrictions would come out in force with -40 degrees air wind chill and 35 mph westerly winds coming into play.

PatAzo
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PatAzo »

Last time I rode to Chicago in the winter they had one working door when they pulled into Union Station. The rest were frozen. The conductor was dumping rock salt on them thinking that would help.

Manistique
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Manistique »

On Monday I saw 350 coming into Pontiac. It had two Genesis units leading back to back. I did see 355 leave Pontiac yesterday with the two units leading

Today the Amtrak Train Status site says 350 is cancelled. So 355 must also be as there will be no train set in Pontiac for it. We will see. No 350 so far and it was due into Pontiac by now.

NSSD70ACe
The Conrail Guru

Unread post by NSSD70ACe »

Manistique wrote:On Monday I saw 350 coming into Pontiac. It had two Genesis units leading back to back. I did see 355 leave Pontiac yesterday with the two units leading

Today the Amtrak Train Status site says 350 is cancelled. So 355 must also be as there will be no train set in Pontiac for it. We will see. No 350 so far and it was due into Pontiac by now.
350/355 turn is canceled through the 31st.
:roll:

the contents of the above post are my opinion and mine alone, and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Unread post by Ypsi »

Official Amtrak release on the trains cancellations

https://m.amtrak.com/h5/r/www.amtrak.co ... eled1.html

Today this Michigan line will see only B25 and other locals.. this is possibly the first time in the modern era no passenger service has happened in a day.. possibly in decades (or in theory a century) on this line. I will have to do some research.
Attachments
IMG_2008.PNG
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown

coasterrider
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by coasterrider »

yeaaah I get a day off LOL