NYS&W Roster

Locomotive identification, railfan locations, frequency information, etc. can be found here.
afleetcommand
Railroadfan...fan

NYS&W Roster

Unread post by afleetcommand »

I'm kind of new to this, been trying to get information and photo/video's of the local rail road's. Right through town is the New York Susquehanna & Western. I know its kind of goofy but I like their paint scheme's. Also the Finger Lakes Railway is close enough. Looking for the best times to catch these trains in the Whitney Point Area (nys&w) and in the Auburn Area for FLRK. Now retired I have TIME to go and collect pics and video's. Always been interested in both the mechanics and the industry side of rail roads. The Historical even more interesting. I remember my dad commuting from Peekskill Station into NYC on the New York Central....rough years for the rail road. I do plan to get down to Croton Harmon to see whats left of that. Where they used to change from third rail to diesel...lots to find and do in this new hobby. Do wish I had a lot more knowledge of the subject, but that's the adventure right? Learning new things?

Here are a couple of pics I stuck together AND a train I was able to get some video of:

Roster Pics
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhSG2rpFlcs

A LOT of power..( Their Roster In Action? Along With Three Others from Three different Companies on the same lash up )
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaNNfyk9HMs

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: NYS&W Roster

Unread post by AARR »

Thank you for posting, afleet. I'm interested in more info about NYS&W. Looks like a lot of sand cars on the one train.
afleetcommand wrote:Here are a couple of pics I stuck together AND a train I was able to get some video of:
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

afleetcommand
Railroadfan...fan

I have to wonder if they haul out of the Jamesville Dewitt Hanson Lime stone pit. Their track goes right by that pit! I'm pretty certain they haul from there to a local company, Sute Kote, and they also bring Sute Kote oil for their asphalt plant. There are a pile of tank cars right there right now.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Seems like I’ve seen trash gons in their consists too
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

afleetcommand
Railroadfan...fan

AARR wrote:Seems like I’ve seen trash gons in their consists too
They may be one of the ways NYC amd New Jersey Trash gets to the Seneca Land Fill? Also there is a incinerator in Syracuse that takes trash from all over. We have a swarm of trash trucks that go through the county 7 days a week from down state. Wish the rail road could take more of that as the roads suffer from the heavy truck traffic.

afleetcommand
Railroadfan...fan

Guess no rail link to seneca but maybe others....

https://www.democratandchronicle.com/st ... 754940002/

afleetcommand
Railroadfan...fan

Nysw3022_3018.jpg

afleetcommand
Railroadfan...fan

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Conductor riding on the back of the covered hopper in winter looks cold

afleetcommand
Railroadfan...fan

You see how quick that big chunk of iron accelerated? That thing was pretty responsive...both braking and accelerating :)

afleetcommand
Railroadfan...fan

Another mish mash of NYS&W snap shots, some fresh and some buried in other video's MOSTLY saw focused so I decided to break them out and mix in one video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUZZFHjBkrM