State Awards Rail Crossing Safety Funds

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Indiana.

State Awards Rail Crossing Safety Funds

Unread postby justalurker66 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:46 pm

Governor Eric Holcomb and the Indiana Department of Transportation have awarded more than $121 million in state matching funds for rail crossing safety improvements throughout the state. The funding was made available through INDOT’s Local Trax matching grant program.

Elkhart (City) - Hively Ave. east of Main St. crossing the Norfolk Southern Railway - $15,853,300
Elkhart County - Sunnyside Ave./Mall Dr at U.S. 33 (Main St.) - $20,088,000
Gary - N. Clark Rd. near airport - $15,200,000
Hammond - Bridge over Norfolk Southern 800 feet E of Parrish Ave., 600 feet N of 173rd St. - $6,760,070
Hobart- Colorado St. over CN/Grand Trunk and Western - $7,336,580
Kosciusko County [Milford] - C.R. 1300 N extension over Norfolk Southern Railroad and Main Street - $7,757,695
La Porte - Tipton St. to Park St. between State St. and Furnace St. - $6,238,880
Schererville - Kennedy Ave. bridge over Canadian National and Norfolk Southern railways - $8,229,340
Terre Haute - Near intersection of N. 13th St. and 8th Ave. - $13,520,000
Vanderburgh County - Mill Rd. approx. 650 feet W of Kratzville Rd. - $6,237,500
Wabash - N. East St. over the Norfolk Southern Railroad near E. Hill St. - $8,560,000
Wells County - Rerouting of Hoosier Highway to connect to Adams Street at Bluffton City Limits - $6,019,073

Source: ... fety-funds
Press Release: ... ns/2224b0b
User avatar
Posts: 1507
Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:51 am

Re: State Awards Rail Crossing Safety Funds

Unread postby justalurker66 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:27 am

Details on the two Elkhart projects (both overpasses)

Hively Overpass ---

The City of Elkhart has been selected to receive a nearly $16 million grant from the Indiana Department of Transportation’s Local Trax Program. The grant will allow the City to construct a railroad overpass at Hively Avenue on the City’s southeast side.
The INDOT grant is expected to fund 100 percent of the cost of design and inspection and 75 percent of the cost of right-of-way and construction. The City’s share of approximately $4 million will cover the remaining 25 percent. The final financial details will be determined as the project proceeds. Early information from INDOT suggests that construction of the project could begin in 2021. ... ly-avenue/

Dunlap Overpass ---

According to a press release issued by Gov. Eric Holcomb’s office Thursday, Elkhart County government will receive almost $20.09 million from the Indiana Department of Transportation for the $30 million Dunlap overpass.

However, Elkhart County Highway Department Manager Jeff Taylor said he was notified by the state that the county would receive $14 million. He’s checking with state officials about the difference and how much the railroads are participating in costs. State officials said Norfolk Southern Railway, CSX Transportation and Canadian National are investing a combined amount of nearly $10 million in grade separation projects in the state.

Regardless, the county will accept the money and begin design engineering on the new overpass. The state’s press release shows the project location as Sunnyside Avenue/Mall Drive at U.S. 33.

Yoder believes the county’s project is a year ahead of the Hively project. County officials were not aware that the city of Elkhart was going to apply for the grant, Yoder said, but they will be working with city officials on coordination of the projects. ... 81f07.html
Proposed Dunlap Bridge
User avatar
Posts: 1507
Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:51 am

Return to Indiana Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests