CSX To Donate Equipment

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
trnwatcher
My name ain't Steven

CSX To Donate Equipment

Unread post by trnwatcher »

Looks like the plow in GR and DokNo's camp car will be leaving GR for a tourist line.

http://trn.trains.com/news/news-wire/20 ... Y.facebook
Steven F. Shick
http://www.youtube.com/user/trnwatcher
http://www.trnwatcher.net

I.T. guy/Railfan
"The true railfan has two favorite railroads....the Baltimore & Ohio and another one." - Charles S. Roberts

trnwatcher
My name ain't Steven

Re: CSX To Donate Equipment

Unread post by trnwatcher »

Sorry MR apepars to have pulled this story from their website. I'll keep looking to see if they report later.
Steven F. Shick
http://www.youtube.com/user/trnwatcher
http://www.trnwatcher.net

I.T. guy/Railfan
"The true railfan has two favorite railroads....the Baltimore & Ohio and another one." - Charles S. Roberts

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NS3322 »

Someone posted a part of the leaked article on RYPN:
Trains Magazine wrote:Two historic snowplows will start a new lives at tourist railroads in West Virginia and Maryland. CSX Transportation has donated a former New York Central snowplow to the Western Maryland Scenic Railroad in Cumberland, Md., and an ex-Chesapeake & Ohio snowplow is headed to the West Virginia State Rail Authority for use in and around Cass, W.Va. . . .

In addition to the snowplow, the West Virginia State Rail Authority is also being donated a maintenance-of-way camp car in Grand Rapids . . .
http://www.rypn.org/forums/viewtopic.ph ... YiiTvSuXfQ

Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Super Chief »

Well it's too bad some rail groups in Michigan didn't get a chance to keep them. Last I heard all the snowplows on the west end of Elkhart yard are going to be scrapped by NS as they are going to rework that end of the yard for percision railroading. The group in Port Huron came to mind as they like all things Pure Michigan. Camp cars are unique and very few left.

Doktor No
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Doktor No »

The camp car is probably the one in the support yard. Older then even me. The Russell plow has a broken coupler. It is a special lil bugger. It is a curved casting and it has a crack half way thru the shank. Good luck finding one of those. Thusly I will assume they will truck them out. Maybe they could donate that exSBD scale test car that's in the remnants of the car shop repair tracks? Build date of 1927, same as Mom! When they were cleaning out the yard of junk a few years back they wanted me to move it....I said you need to put in a few hundred feet of rail and a new switch first. Its all GONE except for whats under the car. The powers that be didn't believe me...so I took pics. Oh well, still sits there.
The plows air system for operating the wings and the flanger were rebuilt in 2013/2014 along with the interior lighting system. Didn't fix the coupler tho. last I knew.
Curb Your Enthusiasm.

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

Doktor No wrote:The camp car is probably the one in the support yard. Older then even me. The Russell plow has a broken coupler. It is a special lil bugger. It is a curved casting and it has a crack half way thru the shank. Good luck finding one of those. Thusly I will assume they will truck them out. Maybe they could donate that exSBD scale test car that's in the remnants of the car shop repair tracks? Build date of 1927, same as Mom! When they were cleaning out the yard of junk a few years back they wanted me to move it....I said you need to put in a few hundred feet of rail and a new switch first. Its all GONE except for whats under the car. The powers that be didn't believe me...so I took pics. Oh well, still sits there.
The plows air system for operating the wings and the flanger were rebuilt in 2013/2014 along with the interior lighting system. Didn't fix the coupler tho. last I knew.
They put a new coupler on it. It looks kind of goofy but it works. They also installed a new electric heater.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NS3322 »

Doktor No wrote:Maybe they could donate that exSBD scale test car that's in the remnants of the car shop repair tracks? Build date of 1927, same as Mom! When they were cleaning out the yard of junk a few years back they wanted me to move it....I said you need to put in a few hundred feet of rail and a new switch first. Its all GONE except for whats under the car. The powers that be didn't believe me...so I took pics. Oh well, still sits there.
Is this it? That is a big scale test car!
What other "treasures" remain in Wyoming Yard?
Attachments
sbd.JPG
f.JPG

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NS3322 »

Super Chief wrote:Well it's too bad some rail groups in Michigan didn't get a chance to keep them. Last I heard all the snowplows on the west end of Elkhart yard are going to be scrapped by NS as they are going to rework that end of the yard for percision railroading. The group in Port Huron came to mind as they like all things Pure Michigan. Camp cars are unique and very few left.
I wish we had a Michigan Railroad Museum. We could give those guys in Union a run for their money! :D

Farmboybello
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Farmboybello »

NS3322 wrote:
Super Chief wrote:Well it's too bad some rail groups in Michigan didn't get a chance to keep them. Last I heard all the snowplows on the west end of Elkhart yard are going to be scrapped by NS as they are going to rework that end of the yard for percision railroading. The group in Port Huron came to mind as they like all things Pure Michigan. Camp cars are unique and very few left.
I wish we had a Michigan Railroad Museum. We could give those guys in Union a run for their money! :D
We just have a lot of small museums/heritage railroads instead of one big central museum like Illinois (The Henry Ford and Greenfield Village do have quite the extensive collection though). Don't forget that the last ALCO every built (and a few other hidden gems) lives here! Also I am surprised SRI didn't take at least one snowplow considering I don't think they have one.
Railroad right of ways are for railroads, not bikes.

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NS3322 »

Farmboybello wrote:We just have a lot of small museums/heritage railroads instead of one big central museum like Illinois (The Henry Ford and Greenfield Village do have quite the extensive collection though). Don't forget that the last ALCO every built (and a few other hidden gems) lives here! Also I am surprised SRI didn't take at least one snowplow considering I don't think they have one.
We do have a lot of small museums and treasures. (Heck, a pair of Baldwin Sharks lurk here). But hey, a guy can dream. :)
The last ALCO ever built? Are you referring to the GLLX T6?

Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Unread post by Ypsi »

It is not as easy as it sounds to "get" equipment. The railroad I volunteer on has had stuff given to us for free on multiple occasions, but it comes down to the cost of moving something to any site, rail served or not. In the case of the railroad I am on, we are land locked, so even if we get something shipped near us on tracks, it needs to be lifted at least once if not twice. We have had quotes for almost any distance starting in the 10k+ range, and can easily go up depending on what you are doing. For us, it would generally be a lift, transport, and then a lift when it arrives on site.

SRI probably has little interest in a plow since it would not be useful for their money making runs with the 1225 or fall color tours. As cool as it would be to "have" it would likely be worth less than the space it takes up.
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

There were a few folks from SRI trying to get the snowplow but it was already spoken for at that point.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

Doktor No
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Doktor No »

NS3322 wrote:
Doktor No wrote:Maybe they could donate that exSBD scale test car that's in the remnants of the car shop repair tracks? Build date of 1927, same as Mom! When they were cleaning out the yard of junk a few years back they wanted me to move it....I said you need to put in a few hundred feet of rail and a new switch first. Its all GONE except for whats under the car. The powers that be didn't believe me...so I took pics. Oh well, still sits there.
Is this it? That is a big scale test car!
What other "treasures" remain in Wyoming Yard?
Yes, that's it!
Curb Your Enthusiasm.

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GreatLakesRailfan »

Super Chief wrote:The group in Port Huron came to mind as they like all things Pure Michigan. Camp cars are unique and very few left.
I'm not entirely sure which group you're referring to, but the only group I'm aware of in Port Huron is focusing on the railroads in the Port Huron area- i.e. the interurban, the Pere Marquette, the C&O/CSX, the GTW/CN and that obscure shortline with the blue boxcars. At this time space for equipment like CSX had in Grand Rapids is pretty much non-existent (the empty spot on their display track is supposed to be for that old Alco that is supposed to be coming back from Tennessee at some point). Until something changes in terms of their acreage they won't be in the market for any more rolling stock for a while- there's simply nowhere to put it.
~ Charles W.

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GreatLakesRailfan »

Ypsi wrote:In the case of the railroad I am on, we are land locked, so even if we get something shipped near us on tracks, it needs to be lifted at least once if not twice. We have had quotes for almost any distance starting in the 10k+ range, and can easily go up depending on what you are doing. For us, it would generally be a lift, transport, and then a lift when it arrives on site.

It depends who you deal with. That ex-GTW reefer we brought back from Holland didn't require a lift on either end. The moving company just jacked it up and pulled it away (there were a few more steps, but no cranes). My understanding is that they did the same thing when they moved the ex-COE caboose up here several years ago.
~ Charles W.