Car VS Train. Trenton. Jan. 19 2019

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
Trainman2223
Railroadfan...fan

Car VS Train. Trenton. Jan. 19 2019

Unread post by Trainman2223 »

http://www.thenewsherald.com/news/trent ... b76e9.html

" Trenton police say car went through Van Horn crossing gate, crashed into middle of moving train
Identifications not yet confirmed, but victims appear to be from Trenton and Taylor.

Steve Voss, director of police and fire services, calls the investigation into Saturday morning’s car-train crash “the most challenging” the department has ever handled.

Two people, who have still not been officially identified by the Wayne County Medical Examiner’s Office, were killed in the crash that occurred on Van Horn, near West Jefferson.

Although identifications have not been confirmed, police believe they are dealing with a man from Taylor, and a woman from Trenton.

Both were in their mid 20s.

The woman’s name might be released sometime Monday, although some have named her on social media. There is no word when a positive identification can be released on the man.

Police said the car was traveling east on Van Horn at about 2:15 a.m. Jan. 19 when it appears to have crashed through the flashing guard rails before slamming into the middle of the train.

The train carried the car along the tracks until the emergency brakes were at some point activated, bringing it to a stop at South Huron River Drive in South Rockwood.

That created an investigation scene stretching nearly six miles.

Police now confirm there are at least two people, a salt truck driver and another motorist, who witnessed the crash.

Voss said police might not ever know why the vehicle went through the gate.

Police said the crash was an emotionally difficult scene for first responders and said there is a procedure in place should anyone need to talk about it with a professional.

Numerous agencies assisted with the emergency, including police and fire units from Rockwood, South Rockwood, Gibraltar and Brownstown Township.

Police said the snow that fell shortly after the crash, along with the distance the car was pulled and the early morning hour all contributed to the complexity of the investigation."
Semper Fi

“I bought a perfect second car... a tow truck.”
Rodney Dangerfield

chapmaja
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Car VS Train. Trenton. Jan. 19 2019

Unread post by chapmaja »

WXYZ reports it was a man and women who were apparently dating that were involved in the crash.

The cause of the accident may never be fully known, but I think the toxicology results will play a major role in this investigation. I would not be shocked if it turns out the driver who under the influence at the time of the accident. I rarely go though that crossing, but I don't recall it being a crossing that is out of the ordinary. Given the crashing through the gates rather than going around them makes me think under the influence as well.

Trainman2223
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Trainman2223 »

it's a level crossing, 4 lane's of traffic ( 2 East 2 West) No obstructions of view IIRC the speed limit is 45.

The part that sticks out to me is.

"The train carried the car along the tracks until the emergency brakes were at some point activated, bringing it to a stop at South Huron River Drive in South Rockwood.

That created an investigation scene stretching nearly six miles."

That's insane. From VanHorn Rd in Trenton to South Huron River Drive in South Rockwood. With the snow that was falling, How fast would you have to be going to get a car stuck "mid train" and have it carried nearly 6 miles with out it catching a switch or hitting signals, ect. :shock:
Semper Fi

“I bought a perfect second car... a tow truck.”
Rodney Dangerfield

hoborich
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by hoborich »

2:15 am might be a clue!
"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a TV commercial is right for you".