Deshler Northwest Wye Removal?

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
bnsfben
Railroadfan...fan

Deshler Northwest Wye Removal?

Unread post by bnsfben »

While in Deshler I’ve noticed the Northwest quadrant wye is completely rusted over. I’m assuming it is no longer used? CSX has a track panel laying next to the switch of the wye on the Garrett Sub. This track panel is not a switch; it is a straight track panel. Are they thinking of removing/abandoning the Northwest Wye?

Jochs
Iron Horse Whisperer

Re: Deshler Northwest Wye Removal?

Unread post by Jochs »

No trains went that way last fall during our meet, and when I was there last summer in the middle of July I don't recall seeing any trains going on the wye.
Jeff O.
Celebrating 11 years dial-up free!

(18:36:45) MagnumForce: Railfanning is way more fun when you stop caring about locomotives and signals
(19:11:29) cbehr91: I can't believe I'm +1ing Brent but +1

MSchwiebert
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MSchwiebert »

According to someone who lives there, they ran a container train (south to west) via the NW wye earlier today (4/23). That would have been first move using the wye since a baretable train back in January.
I don't see the turnout being removed, even with the lack of use. Would the additional work (signals, etc.) offset the savings of getting rid a turnout? For what it's worth, back in the 1990's when Deshler north was shut down to through traffic, the physical plant was left intact.

penn central
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by penn central »

MSchwiebert wrote:According to someone who lives there, they ran a container train (south to west) via the NW wye earlier today (4/23). That would have been first move using the wye since a baretable train back in January.
I don't see the turnout being removed, even with the lack of use. Would the additional work (signals, etc.) offset the savings of getting rid a turnout? For what it's worth, back in the 1990's when Deshler north was shut down to through traffic, the physical plant was left intact.
Yep i remember it was closed to threw traffic from 1990 to 1997. It's hard to believe that its been over 20 years ago that it was reactivated.

MSchwiebert
Railroadfan...fan

Train that used the NW wye today was X151-23 with 40 loads for BNSF.

DaveO
Read more, think more, post less

Unread post by DaveO »

MIght be a panel for a grade crossing replacement?

M.D.Bentley
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by M.D.Bentley »

Maybe to straight rail the diamond then ? Echos of E.H.H. ?

L.O.L............

JoJames
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by JoJames »

Track panel Is NOT to remove the turnout.

Toppysager
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Toppysager »

The last scheduled train to use it was Q209 (Walbridge-Hammond) back in the Summer. Since then there's been nothing other than random moves like today's X151
I'll take a hotstot intermodal over a manifest any day

JoJames
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by JoJames »

Now you have q200 and q203 using the northwest transfer daily.

Toppysager
Railroadfan...fan

JoJames wrote:Now you have q200 and q203 using the northwest transfer daily.
I believe Q200 was diverted to the Toledo Sub only temporarily for a C&O curfew (signal cutovers that took place at the end of October). I think it still runs the Toledo Sub on occasion when crew availability (or lack thereof) necessitates it, but it is still profiled via the C&O, and diversion is uncommon. You are correct about Q203 however; that train has been profiled down the Toledo Sub since it was added on October 18th, 2018. Usually Q203 is an overnight/pre-dawn run through Deshler

Toppysager
Railroadfan...fan

penn central wrote:
MSchwiebert wrote:According to someone who lives there, they ran a container train (south to west) via the NW wye earlier today (4/23). That would have been first move using the wye since a baretable train back in January.
Yep i remember it was closed to threw traffic from 1990 to 1997. It's hard to believe that its been over 20 years ago that it was reactivated.
So there were no through trains at all? I didn't arrive in this world until 1998, so I wasn't around to see it much less aware of the railroading world until well after. I'm surprised there wasn't anything. Did all the traffic just run via the C&O?

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

I believe during that period the rail was cut between somewhere around Perrysburg and Deshler.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

MSchwiebert
Railroadfan...fan

That is correct, all through traffic was routed via Fostoria. The elevators in Custar and Weston were served by the local out of Lima, and a yard job served the industries here in Perrysburg. The Lima local had to use the Tontogany siding for run around moves, so the portion that was truly devoid of any traffic was from the Roachton road signals (MP189.5 or so) and a point between Tontogany and Haskins - about 5 miles of track. I don't think it was ever physically cut, but there were gondola cars stored both on the siding and main for quite a long time, and on the portions were the local and yard job did operate they had to using rusty rail rules.
Toppysager wrote:
penn central wrote:
So there were no through trains at all? I didn't arrive in this world until 1998, so I wasn't around to see it much less aware of the railroading world until well after. I'm surprised there wasn't anything. Did all the traffic just run via the C&O?

JoJames
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by JoJames »

Rails were never cut. Track inspections were done hi railing twice a week.

Plannerdad
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Plannerdad »

August 9th observations at Deshler:

My brother and I spend about 12 hours in Deshler from 11:00am to after 10:00pm. Just before noon, a long merchandise freight went northbound through the diamond, did not get there in time to see the power. Around 1:00pm, the local went north through the diamond and returned around 3:00pm. That's all we saw going through the diamond on the N/S line. Although one of the people there indicated the north/south line and the north leg of the "Y" are busier early in the morning, around 4:00am. Not being a morning person, I did not independently verify. Maybe next year I will stay up all night.

The E/W line, including the Y legs to the south were fairly busy, but seemed to come through in clusters. I should have counted better, but there seemed to be about one/hour with clusters of 4 or 5 trains going through at various times, like Noon, 4:00 and 7:00pm. Maybe 6 or 7 heading to/from the south with most of those on the Y leg pointed toward North Baltimore.

We saw trains with steel slabs and other stuff about three times over two days at Deshler to/from the south, then east and to/from the north at Fostoria, loaded heading south and empty northbound.

JoJames
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by JoJames »

Q203 is the only scheduled train using the northwest transfer and that’s during the early wee hours of the morning. Q506 should have been the northbound you saw and it’s counterpart Q507 would also cross the diamond. The ore trains K172 and K173 should also cross the diamond along with the local D743. Once in a while Q200
may use the northwest transfer for several different reasons.

Jetlink
Not a Railfan

Unread post by Jetlink »

Wow. That’s a big change. I haven’t been to Deshler in probably about 3-4 years now. There was still significant traffic north and south across the diamonds my last visit. I had heard not much on the northwest transfe/wye any longer but didn’t realize the other north south traffic had declined.
interested in trains

Patiently waiting for LansingRailfan to antagonize me in his tagline

JoJames
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by JoJames »

Jetlink wrote:Wow. That’s a big change. I haven’t been to Deshler in probably about 3-4 years now. There was still significant traffic north and south across the diamonds my last visit. I had heard not much on the northwest transfe/wye any longer but didn’t realize the other north south traffic had declined.
When CSX had The Detroit Edison contract it was very common to 10-12 trains a day North of Deshler. Most of these used the Northwest transfer.

Plannerdad
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Plannerdad »

It looks like the steel slab train could have been routed through Deshler on the N/S line at one time. Did not spend as much time in Fostoria, but I saw no N/S trains on the old C&O going through the diamond.