Lake State to Lease CSX Line from Plymouth to Mt. Morris

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
User avatar
SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan
Posts: 8462
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2005 5:59 pm
Location: Grand Rapids

Re: Lake State to Lease CSX Line from Plymouth to Mt. Morris

Unread post by SD80MAC »

blueheron13 wrote:I mean it originates in Flint just like D736. Maybe I'm not using the right terms?
D711 is based out of Port Huron, unless something has changed very recently.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/
Image

blueheron13
Railroadfan...fan
Posts: 494
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:01 pm
Location: All over Southeast Michigan

Re: Lake State to Lease CSX Line from Plymouth to Mt. Morris

Unread post by blueheron13 »

D711 generally leaves Flint in the late morning and returns from Port Huron in the late afternoon. A rail fan on Michigan Railroads often gives a heads up when it enters the CN Flint Sub. I caught it today returning to McGrew Yard in the middle of the afternoon.
Amateur railfan trying to become a real railfan since 2017.

User avatar
AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd
Posts: 32324
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2004 8:39 pm
Location: Washington, MI

Re: Lake State to Lease CSX Line from Plymouth to Mt. Morris

Unread post by AARR »

I think there are periods it will operate three days a week rather than daily
blueheron13 wrote:D711 generally leaves Flint in the late morning and returns from Port Huron in the late afternoon. A rail fan on Michigan Railroads often gives a heads up when it enters the CN Flint Sub. I caught it today returning to McGrew Yard in the middle of the afternoon.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan
Posts: 4727
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2005 12:28 am
Location: Marysville, Michigan

Re: Lake State to Lease CSX Line from Plymouth to Mt. Morris

Unread post by GreatLakesRailfan »

I'm pretty sure it's daily (or almost daily) at this point. I usually see the inbound cars heading toward St Clair when I check the mail at the wye on my way home from work, regardless of which day I stop.
AARR wrote:I think there are periods it will operate three days a week rather than daily
blueheron13 wrote:D711 generally leaves Flint in the late morning and returns from Port Huron in the late afternoon. A rail fan on Michigan Railroads often gives a heads up when it enters the CN Flint Sub. I caught it today returning to McGrew Yard in the middle of the afternoon.

User avatar
AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd
Posts: 32324
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2004 8:39 pm
Location: Washington, MI

Re: Lake State to Lease CSX Line from Plymouth to Mt. Morris

Unread post by AARR »

A daily schedule make sense for this time of year because LPG is the primary commodity handled on the line and both terminals get a lot of it now
GreatLakesRailfan wrote:I'm pretty sure it's daily (or almost daily) at this point. I usually see the inbound cars heading toward St Clair when I check the mail at the wye on my way home from work, regardless of which day I stop.
AARR wrote:I think there are periods it will operate three days a week rather than daily
blueheron13 wrote:D711 generally leaves Flint in the late morning and returns from Port Huron in the late afternoon. A rail fan on Michigan Railroads often gives a heads up when it enters the CN Flint Sub. I caught it today returning to McGrew Yard in the middle of the afternoon.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

User avatar
Saturnalia
Authority on Cat
Posts: 13932
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:54 pm
Location: Michigan's Copper Country
Contact:

Re: Lake State to Lease CSX Line from Plymouth to Mt. Morris

Unread post by Saturnalia »

It's worth noting that there's a decent chance that this takeover is delayed due to the ongoing federal government shutdown. The STB is 100% closed and thus they aren't processing any cases. The last filings to make it to the website were from 21 Dec.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

User avatar
Saturnalia
Authority on Cat
Posts: 13932
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:54 pm
Location: Michigan's Copper Country
Contact:

Re: Lake State to Lease CSX Line from Plymouth to Mt. Morris

Unread post by Saturnalia »

Also it looks like LSRC has purchased 6 SD50-2s from CSXT...to be confirmed
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

User avatar
MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner
Posts: 2976
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:46 pm
Location: Grandville, Michigan
Contact:

Re: Lake State to Lease CSX Line from Plymouth to Mt. Morris

Unread post by MQT1223 »

Saturnalia wrote:Also it looks like LSRC has purchased 6 SD50-2s from CSXT...to be confirmed
That’s cool... SD50-2’s returning to work on home rails. Can’t wait to see them in the Lake State Paint.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

User avatar
DaveO
Railroadfan...fan
Posts: 513
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:57 pm
Location: Between here and there

Re: Lake State to Lease CSX Line from Plymouth to Mt. Morris

Unread post by DaveO »

MQT1223 wrote:
Saturnalia wrote:Also it looks like LSRC has purchased 6 SD50-2s from CSXT...to be confirmed
That’s cool... SD50-2’s returning to work on home rails. Can’t wait to see them in the Lake State Paint.
That's probably not a sentiment shared by CSX employees. Given the rails are being rented and the engines sold, that's not much of a homecoming.

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan
Posts: 788
Joined: Sun Nov 08, 2015 1:08 pm
Location: CP-LEVITT

Re: Lake State to Lease CSX Line from Plymouth to Mt. Morris

Unread post by NS3322 »

DaveO wrote:
MQT1223 wrote:
Saturnalia wrote:Also it looks like LSRC has purchased 6 SD50-2s from CSXT...to be confirmed
That’s cool... SD50-2’s returning to work on home rails. Can’t wait to see them in the Lake State Paint.
That's probably not a sentiment shared by CSX employees. Given the rails are being rented and the engines sold, that's not much of a homecoming.
Will there be any job losses as a result of this? Or are impacted employees being given the opportunity to relocate?

User avatar
Saturnalia
Authority on Cat
Posts: 13932
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:54 pm
Location: Michigan's Copper Country
Contact:

Re: Lake State to Lease CSX Line from Plymouth to Mt. Morris

Unread post by Saturnalia »

NS3322 wrote: Will there be any job losses as a result of this? Or are impacted employees being given the opportunity to relocate?
Shouldn't be many cuts. As per usual the Lake State will likely offer to keep most people who want to stay local. The CSX folks will have to relocate if they don't want to switch roads. But usually the shortlines try to keep the original folks cause they know the railroad.

The SD50-2s are supposedly 2477, 2490, 2498, 8527, 8577, and 8599

It should be noted that these are really just SD50s, CSX added the -2 to designate that they're limited to 3000hp.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

User avatar
Doktor No
Railroadfan...fan
Posts: 858
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:49 pm

Re: Lake State to Lease CSX Line from Plymouth to Mt. Morris

Unread post by Doktor No »

All CSX employees effected can bump their seniority to any positions open and anyone junior to their seniority. Not a problem unless your are the most juniorist with nowhere to go except out of town. Then you may choose to go Lake States. Trainmen can bump to the nearest terminal they can hold.
It tumbles down but shouldn't be THAT bad. Ain't many folks up there left anyway.
Enjoy Every Sandwich.

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan
Posts: 788
Joined: Sun Nov 08, 2015 1:08 pm
Location: CP-LEVITT

Re: Lake State to Lease CSX Line from Plymouth to Mt. Morris

Unread post by NS3322 »

Doktor No wrote:All CSX employees effected can bump their seniority to any positions open and anyone junior to their seniority. Not a problem unless your are the most juniorist with nowhere to go except out of town. Then you may choose to go Lake States. Trainmen can bump to the nearest terminal they can hold.
Saturnalia wrote:Shouldn't be many cuts. As per usual the Lake State will likely offer to keep most people who want to stay local. The CSX folks will have to relocate if they don't want to switch roads. But usually the shortlines try to keep the original folks cause they know the railroad.
My assumptions were correct. Thanks for the information guys.

1TrackMind
Railroadfan...fan
Posts: 82
Joined: Thu May 24, 2018 5:47 pm

Re: Lake State to Lease CSX Line from Plymouth to Mt. Morris

Unread post by 1TrackMind »

Image

Robertrains
Railroadfan...fan
Posts: 1375
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 12:13 pm
Location: Roseville, Michigan!!!!

Re: Lake State to Lease CSX Line from Plymouth to Mt. Morris

Unread post by Robertrains »

This shall be awesome!!!! I can't wait to see this coming down the tracks to Plymouth! My first LSRC/SBS train, Mt. Morris, 5-28-2006 (I photographed on Canon® 35mm S.L.R.): Image
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=4623710
Robert Jackson (Extreme Railfan/Bluewater and Michigan Transit Museum member)

http://cooltrains.rrpicturearchives.net/

penn central
Railroadfan...fan
Posts: 1321
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:07 pm

Re: Lake State to Lease CSX Line from Plymouth to Mt. Morris

Unread post by penn central »

Well Mr Jackson if your waiting for that power combination to come into Plymouth your gonna be pretty much out of luck. The 5921 is sidelined with a major issue, The 3563 is gone or scrapped, The 2052 has been sidelined since 2016. The 2003 is now a slug number 304. The trailing unit witch is either the 1280 or 181 has been scrapped. That is a heck of a picture tho. Very nice.

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan
Posts: 788
Joined: Sun Nov 08, 2015 1:08 pm
Location: CP-LEVITT

Re: Lake State to Lease CSX Line from Plymouth to Mt. Morris

Unread post by NS3322 »

penn central wrote:The 5921 is sidelined with a major issue
Aw man, not the ex-GTW unit!

penn central
Railroadfan...fan
Posts: 1321
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:07 pm

Re: Lake State to Lease CSX Line from Plymouth to Mt. Morris

Unread post by penn central »

NS3322 wrote:
penn central wrote:The 5921 is sidelined with a major issue
Aw man, not the ex-GTW unit!
I know that was one of my favorites to. It has been parked since 2016 also. I have heard ramblings that it might become the 6300, Once its possibly repaired.

User avatar
AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd
Posts: 32324
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2004 8:39 pm
Location: Washington, MI

Re: Lake State to Lease CSX Line from Plymouth to Mt. Morris

Unread post by AARR »

I agree with penn central. It's the type of picture that many will enjoy seeing as the years go on.
penn central wrote:Well Mr Jackson...That is a heck of a picture tho. Very nice.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Robertrains
Railroadfan...fan
Posts: 1375
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 12:13 pm
Location: Roseville, Michigan!!!!

Re: Lake State to Lease CSX Line from Plymouth to Mt. Morris

Unread post by Robertrains »

OK, I am well aware that the "ALCOS" are gone! They all, except RS2U #469, were scrapped at the Roundhouse in Saginaw by Waymore® Power in 2011!!!! I was really hoping LSRC SD40 #5921 would be coming down the tracks! :cry: WOW, LSRC is getting "BIGGER!!!!" :mrgreen: This is awesome!!!! :mrgreen: I hope they stay "Independent!!!!"
My album with more LSRC ALCOS: http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/archiv ... x?id=66481
penn central wrote: » Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:19 am
NS3322 wrote: » Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:00 pm
Aw man, not the ex-GTW unit!
I know that was one of my favorites to. It has been parked since 2016 also. I have heard ramblings that it might become the 6300, Once its possibly repaired.
Robertrains wrote: » Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:38 pm
penn central wrote: » Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:12 pm
Well Mr Jackson if your waiting for that power combination to come into Plymouth your gonna be pretty much out of luck. The 5921 is sidelined with a major issue, The 3563 is gone or scrapped, The 2052 has been sidelined since 2016. The 2003 is now a slug number 304. The trailing unit witch is either the 1280 or 181 has been scrapped. That is a heck of a picture tho. Very nice.

This shall be awesome!!!! I can't wait to see this coming down the tracks to Plymouth! My first LSRC/SBS train, Mt. Morris, 5-28-2006 (I photographed on Canon® 35mm S.L.R.):
Image
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=4623710
Robert Jackson (Extreme Railfan/Bluewater and Michigan Transit Museum member)

http://cooltrains.rrpicturearchives.net/

Post Reply