Where Is It?

Posts that don't fit in the other train categories. Off Subject Chit Chat I tell you. :)
PatAzo
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Where Is It?

Unread post by PatAzo »

A mainline used to curve along the red line. Today it's overgrown to the point you can barely make out the old right of way.

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

I'll guess Waterford Twp area? There's so many lakes and old raillines around there.
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

PatAzo
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PatAzo »

~Z~ wrote:I'll guess Waterford Twp area? There's so many lakes and old raillines around there.
Closer to home.

railrod1949
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by railrod1949 »

PatAzo wrote:
~Z~ wrote:I'll guess Waterford Twp area? There's so many lakes and old raillines around there.
Closer to home.

Kalamazoo area?

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Niles?
railrod1949 wrote:
PatAzo wrote:
Closer to home.

Kalamazoo area?
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

PatAzo
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PatAzo »

How about a larger view rather than just naming the city? Once you look for it you can follow much of the old right of way though the track has been gone a long time.

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

Ah yes, that reworking of the intersection helps a ton. That's Kalamazoo, where Stadium Dr and US131 meet on the southwest side of town. Looks like the ROW continues west and possibly merges in at Mattawan.
Webmaster

railrod1949
Railroadfan...fan

~Z~ wrote:Ah yes, that reworking of the intersection helps a ton. That's Kalamazoo, where Stadium Dr and US131 meet on the southwest side of town. Looks like the ROW continues west and possibly merges in at Mattawan.

Indeed, that's the reworking of the intersection of US-131 and W. Stadium Drive (old US-12) on the southwest side of Kalamazoo, about a mile west of the Western Michigan University campus. That body of water in the above shot is Asylum Lake.

Michael
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Michael »

This should be easy enough

railrod1949
Railroadfan...fan

Michael wrote:This should be easy enough

State Line Road, State Line, IN looking north along the rail trail to Niles, MI and south behind the photographer's current position toward South Bend, IN just west of M-51 in Michigan and State Highway 933 in Indiana. The rail trail was the former New York Central Big Four Route RR, now the Indiana Michigan River Valley Trail in Niles Township, Berrien County.
Last edited by railrod1949 on Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PatAzo
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PatAzo »

~Z~ wrote:Ah yes, that reworking of the intersection helps a ton. That's Kalamazoo, where Stadium Dr and US131 meet on the southwest side of town. Looks like the ROW continues west and possibly merges in at Mattawan.
Thought that would do it. This was the original Michigan Central route west out of Kalamazoo. Next time you drive through the area you can note the difference between Stadium Drives elevation and where the track is now. Until Michigan Central build the new alignment from Howard St to Mattawan in 1910.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

PatAzo wrote:
Thought that would do it. This was the original Michigan Central route west out of Kalamazoo. Next time you drive through the area you can note the difference between Stadium Drives elevation and where the track is now. Until Michigan Central build the new alignment from Howard St to Mattawan in 1910.
Wow, Had no idea about this. Will definitely check it out next time I'm down there.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

Jochs
Iron Horse Whisperer

Unread post by Jochs »

Here is an actual location I actually visited instead of googling it. :lol:
Where is this?
oldbridge1.jpg
Jeff O.
Celebrating 11 years dial-up free!

(18:36:45) MagnumForce: Railfanning is way more fun when you stop caring about locomotives and signals
(19:11:29) cbehr91: I can't believe I'm +1ing Brent but +1

railrod1949
Railroadfan...fan

Jochs wrote:Here is an actual location I actually visited instead of googling it. :lol:
Where is this?
oldbridge1.jpg

Old Ann Arbor RR bridge over the Shiawassee River just south of Bennington Road (Main Street) in Vernon, MI between Durand and Owosso. West of M-71 in Vernon. Final run of the remaining AA RR passenger train between Toledo, OH and Boat Landing/Elberta/Frankfort, was made on July 19, 1950. The track in the background is the GLC RR.
Last edited by railrod1949 on Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

railrod1949 wrote:
Jochs wrote:Here is an actual location I actually visited instead of googling it. :lol:
Where is this?
oldbridge1.jpg

Old Ann Arbor RR bridge over the Shiawassee River just south of Bennington Road (Main Street) in Vernon, MI betweetween Durand and Owosso. West of M-71 in Vernon. Final run of the remaining AA RR passenger train between Toledo, OH and Boat Landing/Elberta/Frankfort, was made on July 19, 1950. The track in the background is the GLC RR.
Is there anywhere you haven't been? Lol
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

I can confirm Railrod's guess of Jochs' pic is correct.

Where be it?
ROW off to the left. The trail pictured is a named trail.
Attachments
wherebeit103.JPG
Webmaster

railrod1949
Railroadfan...fan

MQT1223 wrote:
railrod1949 wrote:
Where is this?
oldbridge1.jpg

Old Ann Arbor RR bridge over the Shiawassee River just south of Bennington Road (Main Street) in Vernon, MI betweetween Durand and Owosso. West of M-71 in Vernon. Final run of the remaining AA RR passenger train between Toledo, OH and Boat Landing/Elberta/Frankfort, was made on July 19, 1950. The track in the background is the GLC RR.
Is there anywhere you haven't been? Lol

In Grand Rapids or Kalamazoo area?

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

railrod1949 wrote:In Grand Rapids or Kalamazoo area?
My photo is not in the GR or Kzoo area. Unless you were responding to MQT1223 asking where you haven't been, and haven't been to GR or Kzoo :)
Webmaster

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Hartford?
~Z~ wrote:Where be it?
ROW off to the left. The trail pictured is a named trail.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Jochs
Iron Horse Whisperer

Unread post by Jochs »

For the record, your guesses are correct. I stood on the Main St. bridge and took a photo of the abandoned bridge over the Shiawassee River just west of beautiful downtown Vernon, MI.
It was taken on 12/17/18 the day after I saw the North Pole Express.
And MQT1223, there are lots of places in Michigan that I've never been. :lol: :wink:
I have been around the perimeter of the thumb, but never in the "middle" of it, and I still have lots of the U.P. to explore.
I have been to 41 states. I have yet to visit Alaska, Hawaii, Washington, Oregon, New Mexico, California, Nevada, Arizona, and Utah.
Jeff O.
Celebrating 11 years dial-up free!

(18:36:45) MagnumForce: Railfanning is way more fun when you stop caring about locomotives and signals
(19:11:29) cbehr91: I can't believe I'm +1ing Brent but +1