Norfolk Southern Wayne Yard Ops

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Norfolk Southern Wayne Yard Ops

Unread post by Ypsi »

With the new ranger production in full swing at Wayne, Norfolk Southern's ops at Wayne have also ramped up. Last night there was a decent amount of activity at Wayne on the NS side. Around 7:00pm we had NS 39E departing the yard, B18 switching Wayne industries, and an autorack train on the south pass. On the NS side of autorack loading there were 4 cuts of 6 cars staged for loading. 39E was also noted to have a decent length train including empty frame flats. Between 6-8pm at Wayne look to be good for spotting now, normally we get a pair of CSX trains, Amtrak 352, Amtrak 355, NS 39E, and B18 switching. Normally the Amtrak's will take their turn, 39E will depart, and while this is happening B18 can pull for headroom on the yard lead. Just last month we did 6 trains in an hour on the CSX and AML between 6:50 and 7:50pm. The final note was the CSX side has had no cars since the focus production ended and it does not appear that they will be getting business back.
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown

Man o' War
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Norfolk Southern Wayne Yard Ops

Unread post by Man o' War »

Thanks for the report. Nice to hear that things are busy around Wayne.

Man o' War

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Does NS still have an agreement with Ford to handle most of their vehicles? At one time NS had mixing centers for Ford traffic. The agreement often short hauled other railroads that were involved in Ford traffic.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Ben Higdon
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Ben Higdon »

What's the best location to watch in Wayne? If I'm not mistaken you can't get close to the diamonds...

Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Unread post by Ypsi »

Elizabeth street is good, you can park in a number of spots just be mindful of people walking about and thag it is a busy area with 24/7 industry. I have never had any issues. You can get the Chessie trains right by the NS yard driveway on annapolis street.
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown

ConrailDetr​oit
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ConrailDetr​oit »

Ypsi wrote:You can get the Chessie trains right by the NS yard driveway on annapolis street.
Chessie trains have been gone from Wayne for a long time..... :lol: