GoGo Squeeze purchases old Cherry Growers building

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

GoGo Squeeze purchases old Cherry Growers building

Unread post by NS3322 »

TC John posted on the michiganrailroads.com board, "Macherne North America, makers of GoGo Squeeze who leased a lot in the back of the Cherry Growers complex for years bought the entire complex. They have added a very large new pole building warehouse as well. Huge new GoGo Squeeze building sign lights up the night now where Cherry Growers sign was simply painted on the building. Looks quite busy, appears they greatly expanded there operations here. So I wonder- and chance for GLC to get them as a shipper or receiver?"

They cut the rail by Beacon Recycling, but that would not be hard to fix.

1TrackMind
Railroadfan...fan

Re: GoGo Squeeze purchases old Cherry Growers building

Unread post by 1TrackMind »

I don't know looking at the product and how its made I don't see anything that would require rail. The only thing that might utilize rail would be inbound fresh fruits and veggies in reefers and maybe fruit/veggies squeezes out but that seems slim.

chapmaja
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by chapmaja »

To me this seems like an IM dream company. Bring fruit inbound via IM trailer and you can load it with outbound product for transit to Chicago via truck. There is would be transferred to rail. I would love for the GLC to pick them up as a customer, but I just don't see it happening.

DaveO
Read more, think more, post less

Unread post by DaveO »

chapmaja wrote:To me this seems like an IM dream company. Bring fruit inbound via IM trailer and you can load it with outbound product for transit to Chicago via truck. There is would be transferred to rail. I would love for the GLC to pick them up as a customer, but I just don't see it happening.
If you look online at their product offerings, the major ingredient is apples. Sourced locally. They have another plant in Nampa, Idaho which is also an apple growing area.

DLM
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by DLM »

Apples will be sourced locally unless Michigan has a bad crop. Then they will come from NY or WA.

I move apples from WA to Michigan when there is a bad crop here on 53' intermodal containers. But only between October and April when it is cold. Since the natural decomposition of apples generates heat, a reflective blanket is placed over the load during the cold months to keep them from freezing. The apples are then quickly used to make applesauce. Other types of fruit are more sensitive to heat or cold.