CSX on the South Shore

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Indiana.
GaryIndianaRailFan
Railroadfan...fan

CSX on the South Shore

Unread post by GaryIndianaRailFan »

I just saw CSX WB on the South Shore about 10 minutes ago. Does anyone know why CSX is using the South Shore ROW?
“...what thrills me about trains is not their size or their equipment but the fact that they are moving, that they embody a connection between unseen places.”
― Marianne Wiggins

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

Re: CSX on the South Shore

Unread post by justalurker66 »

GaryIndianaRailFan wrote:I just saw CSX WB on the South Shore about 10 minutes ago. Does anyone know why CSX is using the South Shore ROW?
They use the tracks near Miller to access the power plant. The westbound from the plant normally stops when the tail end passes the switch at the Miller South Shore station, then the train reverses down to the CSX mainline clearing the South Shore tracks. (I have watch that move a few times.)

cnw8835
Grain Train Fetish LOLZ

Unread post by cnw8835 »

It was most likely a CSS train interchanged from CSX using CSX power.

GaryIndianaRailFan
Railroadfan...fan

I saw them on the CSS main in Ambridge WB hauling a manifest... Grain hoppers, tank cars, flatbeds etc... two CSX locos. I couldn't tell what the model of the locos were as I only caught a quick look at them in the darkness (it was around 10:30pm).
“...what thrills me about trains is not their size or their equipment but the fact that they are moving, that they embody a connection between unseen places.”
― Marianne Wiggins

9xs
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by 9xs »

GaryIndianaRailFan wrote:I saw them on the CSS main in Ambridge WB hauling a manifest... Grain hoppers, tank cars, flatbeds etc... two CSX locos. I couldn't tell what the model of the locos were as I only caught a quick look at them in the darkness (it was around 10:30pm).
I think they go to State Line with the CSX stuff. Used to be at East Chicago at the Toll Road then at Miller

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

The coal trains are the only CSX traffic still handled at Miller. All of the CSX freight goes via the BRC at Commercial Ave yard.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

GaryIndianaRailFan
Railroadfan...fan

SD80MAC wrote:The coal trains are the only CSX traffic still handled at Miller. All of the CSX freight goes via the BRC at Commercial Ave yard.
So what situation would present itself where a CSX manifest would use CSS&SB's main line WB from Miller? That's the only place where CSX could access CSS as far as I aware.
― Marianne Wiggins

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

GaryIndianaRailFan wrote:
SD80MAC wrote:The coal trains are the only CSX traffic still handled at Miller. All of the CSX freight goes via the BRC at Commercial Ave yard.
So what situation would present itself where a CSX manifest would use CSS&SB's main line WB from Miller? That's the only place where CSX could access CSS as far as I aware.
My guess is CSS was using some CSX power that day that had probably come in on a coal train earlier.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/