Monon SW1

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Indiana.
redcrumbox
Railroadfan...fan

Monon SW1

Unread post by redcrumbox »

Monon SW1 50 transformed to a calf after unfortunate accident. Loco was in the process of moving to Logansport.

(face-book link)
https://scontent-atl3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/ ... e=5CA8D6C8
Old EMD’s are the gift that keeps on giving.

Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Monon SW1

Unread post by Super Chief »

Well looks like the trucking service wasn't too reliable. What a shame, trucker hit a bridge or what's the details?

EWRice
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by EWRice »

The irony of it all is that they hit an NS bridge. I read that the clearance was 14' 5" or such on the bridge. An SW is 14' 6 1/2" from rail head to cab top. They had it loaded on beams (sans trucks) but still had the steps on. From the pictures I saw, she was sitting pretty high for the steps to clear the road. Somebody in a heap of trouble. :shock:

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GreatLakesRailfan »

EWRice wrote:The irony of it all is that they hit an NS bridge. I read that the clearance was 14' 5" or such on the bridge. An SW is 14' 6 1/2" from rail head to cab top. They had it loaded on beams (sans trucks) but still had the steps on. From the pictures I saw, she was sitting pretty high for the steps to clear the road. Somebody in a heap of trouble. :shock:
They didn't hit the NS bridge. They hit the old US24/35 bridge over SR25 on the south side of Logansport. If I understand things correctly, they should have gone over the overpass, not under it.

There's an updated version of the Trains story available now, with the correct bridge location.
~ Charles W.