GDLK Operations

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
GAP
Railroadfan...fan

Re: GDLK Operations

Unread post by GAP »

On the south side of Three Rivers where M-86 turns east towards Centreville there has been a huge pile of used ties about a quarter mile south of the crossing. Thanksgiving day I noticed that there has been a lot of dirt excavated from the highway towards that pile. Does this have anything to do with the Grand Elk or is it unrelated?

Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Super Chief »

Everyone is asking the same question. The dirt their excavating is the old ROW of the Jackson-Elkhart Airline. Many trees have been burnt and whats to become of the ties is the $64,000 question? They can't burn em so are they burying them? Wouldn't think MDEQ would allow either but after PFAS who knows? Don't know if all the ties are Elks or others too? That embancment their carving away at was the approach to the M-86 overpass to Jackson.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

Where at in Three Rivers? I cannot seem to figure out the spot with Google Maps due to being unfamiliar with the area.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan

South of town where the Kalamazoo branch met the airline between M-86 east and Lutz Rd. south behind Sams Bar. On Fridays way back when a six-pack of Strohs on the switch stand marked the spot.

Ben Higdon
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Ben Higdon »

Anybody been by the old GP site in Kalamazoo recently? I hear there is a new spur into the site.

PatAzo
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PatAzo »

Ben Higdon wrote:Anybody been by the old GP site in Kalamazoo recently? I hear there is a new spur into the site.
It's the stone unload operation. The track looks mostly laid. Equipment has been setting there since summer.

Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan

4017 is in GR for its 92 day FRA inspection. 4189 & 2204 were the 501 today and 4209 & 4206 were the 302. The 4209 has a really large snow plow pilot on its front. Rumor has 4002 coming back from the Decatur & Eastern to keep more 4 axle power available for 501, will see. NS ballast cars were mid-train on 302. Grain extras have been run from the Andersons and NS power came south night before last with Amtrak ballast hoppers going to Elkhart.

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NS3322 »

Whatever became of the GP7u #7030?

Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan

Last I knew it was still in GR as no one seems to know what to do with it. Its been orphaned with the mis-fit locomotives. CN wouldnt move it cause it doesn't have self aligning couplers. Watco wanted it in Cicero Illinois but it never went. Also needed a cab heater but I never heard if it got that.

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NS3322 »

Super Chief wrote:Last I knew it was still in GR as no one seems to know what to do with it. Its been orphaned with the mis-fit locomotives. CN wouldnt move it cause it doesn't have self aligning couplers. Watco wanted it in Cicero Illinois but it never went. Also needed a cab heater but I never heard if it got that.
Thanks for all that information. Sounds like it is the forgotten middle step-child of Watco family.
I'm glad I got to see it running back in 2015:

I have been meaning to ask this before, does the snowplow in Hughart Yard ever get used?

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

I don't think the plow at Hughart has moved since at least when Watco got the line in 2009.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

PatAzo
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PatAzo »

NS3322 wrote:I have been meaning to ask this before, does the snowplow in Hughart Yard ever get used?
The plow is out of service. My GDLK friend says among other things it needs a new set of trucks (plain bearings I think).

PatAzo
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PatAzo »

NS3322 wrote:
PatAzo wrote:
NS3322 wrote:Is the old Conrail caboose safe?
The caboose escaped the scrappers torch. Grand Elk has kindly donated it to the Mid-Michigan Railroad Club.
Is that the group at Turkeyville in Marshall? Will it go on display?
The club has arranged trucking to Turkeyville. The site work to display it won't occur until spring. It will be placed near the depot. The caboose has to be moved off the property in the near future and will spend the winter on the trailer and dollies until a track is laid.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

7030 has sat near the old turntable with the doors on the carbody open for sometime. Wouldn't surprise me if its cut up and parted out.

Did NS or Conrail ever use that old plow in the last 20-30 years? I feel like we don't get enough snow up here to really warrant the use for it, same with CSX and their plow in Wyoming.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

Tim
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Tim »

NS used it around 20 years ago although I don't have the exact dates or the plow number with me at present. Ran from Elkhart to Kazoo, then a turn to GR and then the MC at least as far as Jackson. MofW ran it because the hi-rail inspection trucks were being derailed by the snow build up between the rails and not because the same build up was uncoupling air hoses.

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

Recent sightings at L&W Supply in Grand Rapids, from my night time walks there, here's how traffic has been as of late:
11/29 GAEX 000028 and TTZX 864567 unloaded.
12/11 TTZX 87315 and TTZX 86582 unloaded. Looked quite freshly unloaded Tuesday, so perhaps a pickup of those cars today.
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

Unread post by Raildudes dad »

11/29 GAEX 000028 and TTZX 864567
12/11 TTZX 87315 and TTZX 86582

To and from Decousey KY

Jim_c
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Jim_c »

Fairly long string of CHs sitting on the rarely used siding north of Mosel Ave in Kalamazoo.
Trails to Rails. Put the track back.

PatAzo
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PatAzo »

Jim_c wrote:Fairly long string of CHs sitting on the rarely used siding north of Mosel Ave in Kalamazoo.
The hoppers looked like they'd been stored. There has been talk about adding a transload facility at Mosel.

Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan

The new VP of ops at NS, a Hunter Harrison fan no less is starting parts of Precision Schedule Railroading next year and it sounds like it will affect Elk traffic. If the rumors are true they would have to get their cars out of Elkhart daily or face a $175/per car fine. Whats ironic it was NS dispatchers that kept the Elk held out of the yard up unto this point in the first place. Also look at the junk locomotives UP has been sending on NS run throughs. Now NS says it's going to park 500 of the newest units and run the old stuff too. UP has also said it's going to start running parts of PSR on their lines too. Next year should be interesting. The Elk also reported they are handling 4000 cars per month now.