The CP Holiday Train in Northern, IN: 12/1/18.

Give us a run down of what you saw, post pictures if you'd like...any info is welcome.
Jochs
Iron Horse Whisperer

The CP Holiday Train in Northern, IN: 12/1/18.

Unread post by Jochs »

I went down to Goshen, IN in hopes of catching the Canadian Pacific Holiday Train late Friday Night/early Saturday Morning. I saw online that the train was lit up when it came through the tunnel into the U.S., which I was glad to read, as it was rumored that the lights were going to be turned off before the train left Canada.
I got down to Goshen around 12:15 am on Saturday, 12/1/18, and had to wait until almost 3 am before it arrived.
Here it is at 2:56 am, near Martin's Supermarket (the building in the background.)

I then was able to get ahead of it in Elkhart, as they recrewed the train around CP 417.
Here is my video of it near Hively Ave (CP 419) in Elkhart around 3:53 am. It's hard to see in my videos, but the lead unit on this train is CP 2246.

I thought about trying to see it again west of South Bend, but decided not to, as I still had about a 30 minute drive home from the South Bend area. It took me about 45 minutes or so to get home from Elkhart.
I'm glad the weather held out. It was a little hazy, but there was no rain or snow falling, and temps were around 32 degrees around Goshen and Elkhart.
Jeff O.
Celebrating 11 years dial-up free!

(18:36:45) MagnumForce: Railfanning is way more fun when you stop caring about locomotives and signals
(19:11:29) cbehr91: I can't believe I'm +1ing Brent but +1

BL2-1843
Howell Yardmaster

Re: The CP Holiday Train in Northern, IN: 12/1/18.

Unread post by BL2-1843 »

Fantastic Jochs. May be just me, but while I have seen lots of pictures of the train over the years day and night, had never seen a video of it moving at night before. Can watch this over and over, and have. Thanks for posting!!

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

Nice work getting a video from each side of the train Jochs.
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Same here Jochs :D .
~Z~ wrote:Nice work getting a video from each side of the train Jochs.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Jochs
Iron Horse Whisperer

Unread post by Jochs »

AARR wrote:Same here Jochs :D .
~Z~ wrote:Nice work getting a video from each side of the train Jochs.
Thank you! :)
I had originally planned on shooting it from the Martin's parking lot, but found it better on the other side because the tracks are raised up above the parking lot. Then, when they slowed down and I got ahead of them, (and found out they were recrewing at CP 417, I found a spot along that road that follows the tracks from Hively Ave toward U.S.20 (I think it dead-ends at a motel) where I could take a video of the other side.

I'm also glad the weather cooperated.
Jeff O.
Celebrating 11 years dial-up free!

(18:36:45) MagnumForce: Railfanning is way more fun when you stop caring about locomotives and signals
(19:11:29) cbehr91: I can't believe I'm +1ing Brent but +1