Where Is It?

Posts that don't fit in the other train categories. Off Subject Chit Chat I tell you. :)
~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Re: Where Is It?

Unread post by ~Z~ »

Correct PatAzo, looks like a good spot to see GDLK.
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

Where be it? Few hints - we've done an aerial shot of where this spur in the foreground goes before. Looks like a sign for an interstate junction ahead, and the mainline is seen to the right.
Attachments
wherebeit93.JPG
Webmaster

railrod1949
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by railrod1949 »

~Z~ wrote:Where be it? Few hints - we've done an aerial shot of where this spur in the foreground goes before. Looks like a sign for an interstate junction ahead, and the mainline is seen to the right.

Kinross Charter Twnship, Chippewa County, just northeast of Rudyard in the da UP. Looking southwest along old US-2 with I-75 to the left and the old Soo Line RR, now CN, to the right. Just northwest of the Chippewa County International Airport, formerly the Kincheloe AF Base, The track crossing old US-2, is a spur track to the propane tank farm at the former Kincheloe AFB. Final run of the remaining old Soo Line RR passenger train that ran between the Soo and Minneapolis-St. Paul, MN, was made on March 5, 1960.
Last edited by railrod1949 on Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

Nice work railrod.
Webmaster

Michael
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Michael »

railrod1949
Railroadfan...fan

Michael wrote:Image

Detroit, MI

Michael
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Michael »

It is in Detroit. I thought maybe ConrailDetroit would know the exact spot.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

On the abandoned segment of Terminal East?
Michael wrote:It is in Detroit. I thought maybe ConrailDetroit would know the exact spot.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Michael
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Michael »

AARR wrote:On the abandoned segment of Terminal East?

No. It's a more interesting location (I think) very close to an active line

Buster Manning
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Buster Manning »

This is Magnolia St. between Vinewood St and McKinley St., just south of CP Vinewood on the Shared Assets....noticed this place a long time ago when Amtrak was still going on the Shared between Vinewood and West Detroit, quite the grade going down off the main into this area

railrod1949
Railroadfan...fan

Buster Manning wrote:This is Magnolia St. between Vinewood St and McKinley St., just south of CP Vinewood on the Shared Assets....noticed this place a long time ago when Amtrak was still going on the Shared between Vinewood and West Detroit, quite the grade going down off the main into this area

Yes, that's Magnolia Street, actaully looking northeast between Vinewood and Mckinley Streets, Detroit, Wayne County. The buildings on the right is the Choctaw Kaul District. Just south of CP Vinewood on the Contrail Shared Assets. Amtrak trains 350, 351, 352, 353, 354 and 355 between Pontiac and Detroit ran on the the Conrail SA between CP Vinewood and West Detroit via Bay City Junction until June 15, 2015 when the Amtrak trains rerouted to operate via the CN Shore Line Sub, the new Amtrak bridge connetor (over Junction Street) at West Detroit and the Conreail SA/Amtrak Michigan Line between CP Vinewood and CP Town Line. The spur line across Magnolia Street was off the connection with Conrail SA.
Last edited by railrod1949 on Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

DaveO
Read more, think more, post less

Unread post by DaveO »

Buster Manning wrote:This is Magnolia St. between Vinewood St and McKinley St., just south of CP Vinewood on the Shared Assets....noticed this place a long time ago when Amtrak was still going on the Shared between Vinewood and West Detroit, quite the grade going down off the main into this area
That was a tough one. From the street angle I knew it was in the original French platted section. The bricks in between meant it was in the original core of the city. But there used to be so many industrial spurs taking off here and there that I couldn't narrow it down to an exact location.

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

Where be it? The general store located in this "bustling" community was for sale in this photo and is out of business as of now. As far as I can tell, it was the only commercial building in this "town." Railline is still in use daily.
Attachments
wherebeit94.JPG
Webmaster

Michael
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Michael »

Good job Buster :D

DaveO you aren't kidding about the amount of spurs in that area. I found embedded rails all over that area.
The remnants of this railroad bridge as well https://goo.gl/maps/8UsKGc46mLk
DaveO wrote:That was a tough one. From the street angle I knew it was in the original French platted section. The bricks in between meant it was in the original core of the city. But there used to be so many industrial spurs taking off here and there that I couldn't narrow it down to an exact location.

DaveO
Read more, think more, post less

Unread post by DaveO »

Michael wrote:Good job Buster :D

DaveO you aren't kidding about the amount of spurs in that area. I found embedded rails all over that area.
The remnants of this railroad bridge as well https://goo.gl/maps/8UsKGc46mLk
DaveO wrote:That was a tough one. From the street angle I knew it was in the original French platted section. The bricks in between meant it was in the original core of the city. But there used to be so many industrial spurs taking off here and there that I couldn't narrow it down to an exact location.
Per the 1921 Sanborn the spur there served the Northway Motor and Manufacturing Company at ground level(elevated to surrounding land I would say).
On the 1950 Sanborn the spur is shown as elevated and served the Frigidaire Refrigerator Warehouse on elevation.
And there were many other spurs around.

railrod1949
Railroadfan...fan

~Z~ wrote:Where be it? The general store located in this "bustling" community was for sale in this photo and is out of business as of now. As far as I can tell, it was the only commercial building in this "town." Railline is still in use daily.
In SE Michigan

Standard Railfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Standard Railfan »

~Z~ wrote:Where be it? The general store located in this "bustling" community was for sale in this photo and is out of business as of now. As far as I can tell, it was the only commercial building in this "town." Railline is still in use daily.
Fibre, Chippewa County, Michigan. CN line, ex-Soo Line, Southwest of Sault Sainte Marie.

Edit for spelling of Fibre.

railrod1949
Railroadfan...fan

Standard Railfan wrote:
Fibre, Chippewa County, Michigan. CN line, ex-Soo Line, Southwest of Sault Sainte Marie.

Edit for spelling of Fibre.

Yes, now I remembered that town Fibre, Rudyard Township, Chippewa County in the da UP. My best railfan friend and I were up there in August, 2000, Looking west along the CN line, former Soo Line crossing Trout Lake Road (WH 40, former M-48). We stopped at that general store to gas up. Final run of the remaining Soo Line RR passenger train that ran between Sault Ste Marie and Minneapolis-St. Paul, MN daily ex Sundays, was made on March 5, 1960. Fibre is 32.0 miles southwest of the Soo.

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

Good finding there Standard.
Webmaster

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

Where be it? Depot on right side, rail trail down the middle.
Attachments
wherebeit95.JPG
Webmaster