Delta Yard in Detroit

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
conrail7695
Railroadfan...fan

Delta Yard in Detroit

Unread post by conrail7695 »

Looking at a Detroit RR map I see the yards that NYC, PC, Conrail and now NS uses. Just to the North of of River Rouge yard and across the bascule bridge on the former "NYC, PC." Toledo line and now Detroit line. There is the Exposition spur that services the City of Detroit and the Cement plant there, so my question is what was Delta yard ever really used for?
THANKS M. SHIREY

Fred
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Delta Yard in Detroit

Unread post by Fred »

At one time there were more industries that were served from Delta yard such as Wayne Soap and a Paper Company whose name escapes me. Besides St Mary's (formerly Peerles)Cement the NYC also serviced another cement place along side Delta Yard. In later years the yard was also used as a RIP track.

ConrailDetr​oit
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ConrailDetr​oit »

There is one track left of what remains of Delta Yard, extending from the Conrail Bridge to the I-75 overpass. Used as an extra track for River Rouge Yard for RIPs and maintenance storage.

M.D.Bentley
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by M.D.Bentley »

Delta yard = Conrail. There are some great pictures in the book Trackside Detroit Downriver. Delta was a very busy yard at one time. Sadly no more.

conrail7695
Railroadfan...fan

M.D.Bentley wrote:Delta yard = Conrail. There are some great pictures in the book Trackside Detroit Downriver. Delta was a very busy yard at one time. Sadly no more.
So at one time when is was busy, tell me about it please.
THANKS M. SHIREY

Manistique
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Manistique »

The little bit I recall about Delta Yard is that in the early 1980's it was still a yard but not really used. The Exposition Spur local was based out of it but probably just to pick up its train. Sort of like a holding yard. In addition to the industries mentioned in the posts I am pretty sure it also serviced the Detroit Marine Terminal facility on the north side of Short Cut Channel which was moving scrap from gondola to ship for overseas shipment. DMT had their own switchers in the plant (an Alco S-1 and a industrial unit). I photographed a train out of Delta Yard on the Expo Spur in January 1982 as it ran the entire (at that time) 2.9 length to service the last industry on it, which was a scrap yard at the end of the line. It was abandoned shortly afterwards. Photographs of it are in Vol 6 of my Chronicles of a Detroit Railfan series.

conrail7695
Railroadfan...fan

Manistique wrote:The little bit I recall about Delta Yard is that in the early 1980's it was still a yard but not really used. The Exposition Spur local was based out of it but probably just to pick up its train. Sort of like a holding yard. In addition to the industries mentioned in the posts I am pretty sure it also serviced the Detroit Marine Terminal facility on the north side of Short Cut Channel which was moving scrap from gondola to ship for overseas shipment. DMT had their own switchers in the plant (an Alco S-1 and a industrial unit). I photographed a train out of Delta Yard on the Expo Spur in January 1982 as it ran the entire (at that time) 2.9 length to service the last industry on it, which was a scrap yard at the end of the line. It was abandoned shortly afterwards. Photographs of it are in Vol 6 of my Chronicles of a Detroit Railfan series.
Thank you very much Manistique, for sharing your input of this yard.
THANKS M. SHIREY