Freight trains to be rolling between Ypsi and Jackson

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
chapmaja
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Freight trains to be rolling between Ypsi and Jackson

Unread post by chapmaja »

AARR wrote:Because 24 is the number of every sports uniform I ever wore 8)
DaveO wrote:Do you know why it would be nice to call it B24?
I may have missed the post to this question but what purpose does B25 serve? Does it switch any local customers?
I think it is a transfer of steel cars from Middleton or Delta Ohio to the JAIL in Holt however it seems to be running other traffic as well.

I wonder if NS is realizing maybe they need to have a way for traffic to run east of Jackson as well. I wonder if we see this continue and if it will become a larger train.

DaveO
Read more, think more, post less

Unread post by DaveO »

You were so close to the correct answer AARR :mrgreen:
Since it runs by Willow Run, I think it would be a nice touch to give a nod to the B-24 Liberators that were built there.

Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Unread post by Ypsi »

I've heard them with over 20-30 cars some nights, and seen them with 15-20 in person. It seems to vary but there are a decent number of cars coming from Wayne.
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown

chapmaja
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by chapmaja »

DaveO wrote:
You were so close to the correct answer AARR :mrgreen:
Since it runs by Willow Run, I think it would be a nice touch to give a nod to the B-24 Liberators that were built there.

Which is why the combined Willow Run and Ypsi school district should have been nicknamed the Liberators, or bombers or something like that rather than the Grizzles. They look they used old Oakland University uniforms.

Ypsi

Unread post by Ypsi »

The combined district was a voting process of some sort (old ypsi high alumni and current YCS sports coach), not sure how it worked but as I recall there were suggestions and options for those ideas, but they just didn't make the cut I guess.

Train stuff:

B25 was by 30E at 1:30am with 2 SD40-2's and about a dozen cars. Maybe they found a way to get cars to go both directions now. Not sure if they have flipped back west yet.

Buster Manning
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Buster Manning »

They always had a way to go east....isn't 331/332 a Wayne-Bellevue train??

NS used to say that all the Mich. traffic HAD to go to Elkhart to go over the hump and get put on the proper train...based on what somebody thought was a good operating plan...I know of a couple of shortlines who lost traffic account of this decision...too many out of the way miles that cut into the revenue

B25 switched to a Jackson yard starting point last week monday with a 1030pm start

Ypsi

Unread post by Ypsi »

AKAIK Wayne has 38E, 39E for road freights and that's it. I don't think 25E (was dedicated racks to Wayne for NS) is running currently (no racks anywhere at the Ford Wayne assembly plant as of my last look), and I don't think 60T or 61T get called to run anymore either with dedicated coil cars. That leaves the B17 which is the day local, and the B18 which is the night local (again based on last check/ knowledge of the symbols. B16 (or whatever the oak wood transfer was), but I haven't seen in it in a while as it's an overnight/ early morning gig) In theory the 38E/39E can make pick ups in Toledo, Monroe, Livernoise, and Wayne. Not sure how often each of those gets switched but those are the spots they have been known to work.

24 hours at Wayne isn't high on my list, so for now that's what I have observed. For what it's worth this is what a day probably looks like currently.. might be missing a local, but this is what I personally have observed (updated for the B25 called out of Jackson now).

01:30-03:00 NS B25 arrives
02:00-04:00 NS B25 departs
07:00 Amtrak 351
08:00-09:00 NS B17 on duty
11:10 Amtrak 353
13:05 Amtrak 350
13:00-16:00 NS 38E arrives
18:45 Amtrak 355
19:00 Amtrak 352
19:00-22:00 NS 39E departs
20:00-21:00 (?) NS B18 on duty
23:10 Amtrak 354

blueheron13
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by blueheron13 »

When 25E was regularly bringing in empty racks to Wayne, was there ever a dedicated loaded autorack train heading out of Wayne?
Amateur railfan trying to become a real railfan since 2017.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

There was at least one vehicle rack train originating from Wayne. I’ll try to look up the symbol later unless someone can post it first.
blueheron13 wrote:When 25E was regularly bringing in empty racks to Wayne, was there ever a dedicated loaded autorack train heading out of Wayne?
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

blueheron13
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by blueheron13 »

Just read on Facebook that a B19 brought some private cars (which are now spotted in Ann Arbor) from Oakwood to Wayne overnight a couple of nights ago. So maybe B19 is the Oakwood/Wayne overnight transfer job that Ypsi alluded to above?
Amateur railfan trying to become a real railfan since 2017.

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NS3322 »

blueheron13 wrote:Just read on Facebook that a B19 brought some private cars (which are now spotted in Ann Arbor) from Oakwood to Wayne overnight a couple of nights ago. So maybe B19 is the Oakwood/Wayne overnight transfer job that Ypsi alluded to above?
In case anyone was wondering, these cars are owned by Charter Steel and are "normally" based in Milwaukee (where I took this photo).

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

228 ran to Norfolk, VA and 27V to Voltz MO. From June, 2003.
AARR wrote:There was at least one vehicle rack train originating from Wayne. I’ll try to look up the symbol later unless someone can post it first.
blueheron13 wrote:When 25E was regularly bringing in empty racks to Wayne, was there ever a dedicated loaded autorack train heading out of Wayne?
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Ypsi

Unread post by Ypsi »

The charter cars a neat to see on the AML, they had difficulty getting into AA from the looks of it. Apparently Amtrak won't switch them at ARB anymore, so seems they had to get creative. Detroit is one of their largest concentrations of customers. From the sounds of it, they had to work their way up from Toledo this year.

KenB
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by KenB »

NKP 765 hauled them from Cleveland to Bellevue, NS to Ann Arbor, Only place in Michigan Amtrak switches private cars is Pontiac. Wonder how they will leave Michigan?

Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Super Chief »

Wouldn't it be cool if NS took em to Jackson, then to Kazoo, then to Elkhart via Grand Elk then west. Creative planning and dreaming I know but at least NS isn't totally against private cars running on their system. Go Blue for them.

Ypsi

Unread post by Ypsi »

More likely than not they will go NS to Detroit, then CN to Pontiac.. unless it's cheaper/ easier to haul back to Toledo and get on Amtrak there. No matter what it's going to be better to try and get on Amtrak at some point. Michigan just isn't the ideal place to do that anymore.

DaveO
Read more, think more, post less

Unread post by DaveO »

Ypsi wrote:More likely than not they will go NS to Detroit, then CN to Pontiac.. unless it's cheaper/ easier to haul back to Toledo and get on Amtrak there. No matter what it's going to be better to try and get on Amtrak at some point. Michigan just isn't the ideal place to do that anymore.
Has to be a terminal location of the train or an approved intermediate stop with sufficient dwell time. Toledo isn't on that list.

https://www.amtrak.com/content/dam/proj ... 062118.pdf

Ypsi

Unread post by Ypsi »

B25 woke me up both ways today

B25 clear 30E 2:12am SD40-2 LHF, two coil cars and a CH. (3 mixed)
B25 clear 30W 6:22am SD40-2, 36 cars mixed

Ben Higdon
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Ben Higdon »

Ypsi wrote:B25 woke me up both ways today

B25 clear 30E 2:12am SD40-2 LHF, two coil cars and a CH. (3 mixed)
B25 clear 30W 6:22am SD40-2, 36 cars mixed
Dang! I drove through depot town about 615 this morning. Noticed some MOW equipment on the siding there.

Ypsi

Unread post by Ypsi »

B25 clear 35W

SD40-2, 9 cars mixed. Not sure if they ran really early today or started from Wayne.