GDLK Operations

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
Jim_c
Railroadfan...fan

Re: GDLK Operations

Unread post by Jim_c »

Ultra-late report: GDLK was SB from Plainwell about 8:35 last night after a trip to Otsego. Solo power 4225 long hood forward. Hadn't seen that before on GDLK.
Trails to Rails. Put the track back.

dave989
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by dave989 »

I saw 4225 leaving Grand Rapids going solo, long hood forward Friday afternoon.

GAP
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GAP »

And Saturday afternoon about 4 p.m. 4225 was siting just north of Mosel Ave in Kalamazoo with a train of about 30 to 40 cars. It has really been getting around.

GTW
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GTW »

I noticed today the former GDLK #4002 had been assigned to the new Decatur & Eastern Ry. that Watco purchased from CSX. Also, work is in progress at Schoolcraft for the PTC upgrades.

Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Super Chief »

Heard 101 crew last night with 4209 at 3:30am headed north. They had to hand throw the switch at Cowling as the contacts must be a little off so Watco dispatch didn't actually have control of it. I quess its common to hand throw one after the controller is unlocked and moved to hand throw. The contractor has been working the whole CTC this past month installing the new code wire so a little TLC by CDL might be needed.

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

Two loads at L&W Supply in Grand Rapids. TTZX 857012 (1/3 unloaded) and GAEX 000016 fully loaded. Don't look for any trips by GDLK to L&W tomorrow.
Also, wasn't aware that GDLK currently can't go southeast of Eastern Ave in Grand Rapids towards the old Steelcase area. There's one section of rail just west of Eastern Ave that's unbolted and turned on its side.
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan

Well after all this time Wayland got its first 90 car unit train via CSX from the north last night. BNSF & KCS power pulled into. Wyoming yard. Anybody know if the power stayed on or did Elk crews run the power down to Wayland?

Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan

Also 4189 & 4225 had a good size train of sand hoppers and gondolas laden with scrap metal and pullin hard from 4th street out of the St. Joesph river valley to Elkhart. You can tell that gas prices are up just by the amount of frac sand cars Elk is hauling right now.

Tankcar123
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Tankcar123 »

Super Chief wrote:Well after all this time Wayland got its first 90 car unit train via CSX from the north last night. BNSF & KCS power pulled into. Wyoming yard. Anybody know if the power stayed on or did Elk crews run the power down to Wayland?

GDLK pulled it in. Took the power off. CHS is using their GLLX 4433 to move cars into place.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Inbound fertilizer? Dry or liquid?
Tankcar123 wrote:
Super Chief wrote:Well after all this time Wayland got its first 90 car unit train via CSX from the north last night. BNSF & KCS power pulled into. Wyoming yard. Anybody know if the power stayed on or did Elk crews run the power down to Wayland?

GDLK pulled it in. Took the power off. CHS is using their GLLX 4433 to move cars into place.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Tankcar123
Railroadfan...fan

Liquid. Inbound.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Thanks Tankcar.
Tankcar123 wrote:Liquid. Inbound.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

~Z~ wrote:Two loads at L&W Supply in Grand Rapids. TTZX 857012 (1/3 unloaded) and GAEX 000016 fully loaded. Don't look for any trips by GDLK to L&W tomorrow.
Also, wasn't aware that GDLK currently can't go southeast of Eastern Ave in Grand Rapids towards the old Steelcase area. There's one section of rail just west of Eastern Ave that's unbolted and turned on its side.
These two cars were missing from L&W supply this evening (9/20) and no new cars spotted at the industry.
Webmaster

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

Did everyone forget the K808 from 2016? That was the first unit train to CHS via CSX and the Elk
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

Tankcar123
Railroadfan...fan

Unit train in Wayland is empty and ready to leave. Should see it on the move early in the week.

Tankcar123
Railroadfan...fan

GDLK 303 picked up the unit train in Wayland at 1500. Headed to GR now. Does anyone know the K train number for the run back to Chicago?

Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan

501 has been about 30 cars long each day. 16 lumber loads yesterday another 9 loads today. Good customers for them in Bristol and Elkhart.

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

No cars at L&W Supply in Grand Rapids the past two times I've been there, 9/20 and 10/2. Hope it's just a coincidence and in between shipments.
Believe I'm hearing GDLK south at 36th St in Grand Rapids at 9am.
Webmaster

GAP
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GAP »

Twice recently (today and a month ago) I've seen a GDLK freight parked at Mosel Ave in Kalamazoo facing south in the late afternoon. Does this train get combined with other freight in Botsford Yard and then head to Elkhart later Saturday night? I know that on Saturdays something runs south in the evening instead of the usual early morning run. The engines at Mosel today were 4189 (W&S colors) and 4209 if that helps.

PatAzo
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PatAzo »

The 303 (turn to GR) often dies on its way back to Kalamazoo. The yard job will go out and fetch it over the weekend along with the 4124 and 4225 that have a northbound train at Park.