Where Is It?

Posts that don't fit in the other train categories. Off Subject Chit Chat I tell you. :)
railrod1949
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Where Is It?

Unread post by railrod1949 »

Pixl wrote:Well it's there, today I found photo of a sliver of the row, maybe 40 ft or so. Most of the visitors probably don't care of the rr and take pictures of nature instead. Built lightly and with little to no use over the years, not even foot traffic I think they have disappeared.
That railroad trackage on Isle Royale only lasted from 1872 until its ripped up in 1885 after the island copper mine closed.

EWRice
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by EWRice »

That explains why McCargo cove dock is where it is. I always wondered why it was positioned so far off the lake. There is a tall ridge running parallel to the creek that feeds into McCargo cove. The walking trail along the side of the ridge is very wide and flat compared to most other trails. In spots you could almost drive an atv down it. (For those who have never been on Isle Royal, most of the trails are like well traveled deer runs, not hiking trails like you find at state parks and such). I will have to look back at my pictures and map.

James Sofonia
Grand Traverse Dinner Train 1996

Unread post by James Sofonia »

EWRice, Thanks for your personal experience. I would like to go there myself some day, meantime anything you can share, especially photos would be appreciated. Thanks.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Me too!
Pixl wrote:I would like to go there myself some day.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Michael
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Michael »

I read that more people visit Yellowstone National Park on any given day than will visit Isle Royale in an entire year which is not surprising since it is a long boat ride and only available 6 months of the year and there are limited cabins and provisions available on the island.
That is the appeal right AARR? 8)

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Less people is better 8)

I like exploring and fossil hunting with others who share those interests like on the Road Rallies :D
Michael wrote:I read that more people visit Yellowstone National Park on any given day than will visit Isle Royale in an entire year which is not surprising since it is a long boat ride and only available 6 months of the year and there are limited cabins and provisions available on the island.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

EWRice
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by EWRice »

It was one of the greatest weeks of my life. 6 friends, 3 tents, 3 canoes. Every type of weather (other than snow and cold) that you can think of. I could tell you stories that would make you smile, stories that would make you cringe, and at least one story that will make you wonder how I am still here. By far the most exhausting relaxation I have ever experienced. I have been itching to go back, and this post is not helping. Highly recommend this trip for people who want to disconnect and enjoy nature.

James Sofonia

Michael wrote:I read that more people visit Yellowstone National Park on any given day than will visit Isle Royale in an entire year which is not surprising since it is a long boat ride and only available 6 months of the year and there are limited cabins and provisions available on the island.
It is a shame that they don't let dogs on the island, not even on boats anchored off shore. Dogs and outdoor people go together. After all they released many wolves recently on the Island, is there much difference to the environment?
I don't go camping anywhere my cocker spaniel is not welcome, so I guess I won't see this wonderful natural park asset.

C&O6084
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by C&O6084 »

I'm sure the wolves on the island would enjoy your dog visiting, too.

ConrailDetr​oit
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ConrailDetr​oit »

Imagewhere by tcamp7837, on Flickr

hoborich
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by hoborich »

After all they released many wolves recently on the Island, is there much difference to the environment?
I didn't know they released wolves on Isle Royal recently. There were a couple packs on Isle Royal years ago, but they didn't thrive, and were almost gone. Don't know why things would be any different this time. Wolves have thrived in parts of da UP however. And they are a problem for farmers, killing livestock. The farmers practice 3-S control measures. Shoot-Shovel- Shutup. I know there are wolves in the Pickford area.
"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a TV commercial is right for you".

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Is that CR's North Yard?
ConrailDetr​oit wrote:Imagewhere by tcamp7837, on Flickr

railrod1949
Railroadfan...fan

AARR wrote:Is that CR's North Yard?

Old Ford Piquette Avenue Plant, north of I-94 and west of I-75, west of Milwaukee Junction, Detroit.

railrod1949
Railroadfan...fan

railrod1949 wrote:
AARR wrote:Is that CR's North Yard?

Old Ford Piquette Avenue Plant, north of I-94 and west of I-75, west of Milwaukee Junction, Detroit.

To Conrail detroit, no comfirmation from you yet.

Avnx
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Avnx »

Conrail Terminal East?

ConrailDetr​oit
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ConrailDetr​oit »

Correct, CP Bonita looking south

railrod1949
Railroadfan...fan

ConrailDetr​oit wrote:Correct, CP Bonita looking south

Yep, indeed, it's CP Bonita on the Conrail Share Assets RR atg the end of Girardin Street, south of E.McNichols Street, Detroit, Wayne County. Final run of the remaining old New York Central System passenger train nos. 394/395 the Beeliner, between Detroit MC Station and Bay City, was made on March 19, 1964.

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Is it in the UP?
~Z~ wrote:Where be it?
https://i.imgur.com/KyMlj9m.jpg

James Sofonia

~Z~ wrote:Where be it?
Looks like it could be the service shop at the wye of the Toonervile Trolley, Soo Jct.
Attachments
tooner.jpg