Interlochen

Any historical questions can be posted here. Answers would certainly help as well :)
wagnew0923
Railroadfan...fan

Interlochen

Unread post by wagnew0923 »

For my 2015 hike I will be traveling to Interlochen to see what I can discover including the town of Pine Park. I need some help though, where was the cross tracks and interlocking tower located in Interlocken.

Also I hope to eventually post pictures of Henry, Mi when I get off my lazy butt.

Michael
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Interlochen

Unread post by Michael »

http://www.michiganrailroads.com/RRHX/S ... chenMI.htm
Here is a photo of the tower

The crossing of the PM and M&NE in Interlochen was probably right at N Railroad Street and West Railroad Avenue https://goo.gl/maps/GjNHb

James Sofonia
Grand Traverse Dinner Train 1996

Unread post by James Sofonia »

wagnew0923 wrote:For my 2015 hike I will be traveling to Interlochen to see what I can discover including the town of Pine Park. I need some help though, where was the cross tracks and interlocking tower located in Interlocken.
I'll dig up some info I have on the area and post it tomorrow. When is your trip? Maybe we can meet up for an hour or two.

wagnew0923
Railroadfan...fan

I would love to meet. I should be up there all next week. I intend to also locate Clarey, Wallin (which kinda still exist) and Westend all Southwest of Interlochen and all are "ghost towns." It does not look too bad on the topo maps but Westend will be challenging as there is a river to cross. So I will go to where the spur began the tressle, then drive to the other side. I hope to cover 25-30 miles this year depending on the difficulty of the West End trail.

James Sofonia

Here is a shot of Interlochen State Park. You can see the M&NE RR grade south of the park, straight N/S line in the trees. The grade is not too hard to find and is walkable in this area.

The Pine Park station was right in the center of the "day use" parking lot today.

In the North camp you will see these loging wheels, and near the wheels is a display with photos and information about the railroad that once ran through the park.

Here is a shot a little north of the state park at Interlochen. Note the school at the south end of town on 11th st. You can see the grade coming up from the south headed straight for the school. Walk a little south of the school it crosses a small creek and the pilings from the trestle can be found there.

EWRice
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by EWRice »

There is section of the hiking trail in the south campground that puts you right on the grade for a short time. The guide brochure they have at the start of the trail shows where it is, but it is obvious when you are on it.

ThatRailfanningKid
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ThatRailfanningKid »

A trail to possibly look into that's also in the area is the trail from Frankfort through Elberta, Benzonia, and back south into thompsonville. I rode a portion of it this summer, and it's a neat ride or walk, and its 22 miles long.
Evan

wagnew0923
Railroadfan...fan

Made it about six miles from Thompsonvill before the trail was too covered in water from the rain. Sorry Robert I did not call you but I left my cell phone at the cabin. The trail from Interlochen to Thompsonville is devoid of any artifacts except some ties and a bolt I found. I am hoping for a better more interesting trail.

Henry is great by the way, a lot of Relics and a single house with some railroad stuff on it.

dthomson
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by dthomson »

I realize I'm a few years late to this conversation, but just discovered this group. I'm working on a Web site documenting the history of Interlochen, where I live, and am particularly interested in railroads and logging as part of that. Regarding "You can see the M&NE RR grade south of the park, straight N/S line in the trees", I was also under the same impression until I did a little bit more footwork. What you see there is actually the utility line corridor. The railroad grade itself sits just to the east of it, and for the most part parallel to it. Sections of it can still be discerned in aerial maps, but the route is a lot more subtle to pick out. I hope to "diagram" it as part of my Web site.

James Sofonia

Yes there is also a power line corrodor in there, but if you go to the park and walk around nearby you will find the grade noticably raised up from the surrounding terrain. There are no trees growing on the grade but the overhead canopy makes it hard to see from above.You can also see "borow pits here and there where they took extra soil to build the grade. The park even has a nature trail routed down a portion of it with a few interpretive signs about the railroad. There is also a old hand drawn map on display near the large red loging wheels showing the path of the line and location of the train station that once stood there. Take a hike, it's a nice day :D

EWRice
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by EWRice »

Since this has been resurrected, does anyone know what quadrant of the crossing the interlocking tower was located in? I have a picture of it, but would like to know what direction the view is.

Atkinson_Railroad
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Atkinson_Railroad »

Better late, than never regarding replies to Internet Forum posts.

EW,

The Interlocking Tower at Interlochen, Michigan appears to have been located in the
northwest quadrant of the crossing based on the attached photos of the tower/depot, and
various map screenshots found on the web. The depot was located in the opposite southeast quadrant
as indicated on the 1908 map.

Lots of memories and recalled stories from long gone family members relate to this area for me
from childhood, and later while living in Benzie County for a couple decades.

In the 1980's many portions of the Manistee and Northeastern Railroad bed could be followed
in a Jeep. I recall bouncing up and down over ties that were still in the ground near what was known
as Allyn (Just north of the Platte River Fish Hatchery on County Road 669 -Maple City HWY).
I also explored the route between Honor and Empire in that same Jeep long before the explosion of
development up there. And as usual during the time... I never cataloged or photographed any of
the adventures.

John

GREEN LAKE TWP 1895 INTERLOCHEN

http://www.historicmapworks.com/Map/US/ ... /Michigan/

GREEN LAKE TWP 1908 INTERLOCHEN

INTERLOCHEN 1908 MAP

Attachments
MNE Interlochen 2962 CHL CMS Conn wm 1280x837.png
INTERLOCHEN 1908 MAP.JPG

Standard Railfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Standard Railfan »

I recall bouncing up and down over ties that were still in the ground near what was known
as Allyn (Just north of the Platte River Fish Hatchery on County Road 669 -Maple City HWY).
I also explored the route between Honor and Empire in that same Jeep long before the explosion of
development up there. And as usual during the time... I never cataloged or photographed any of
the adventures.
I made more than a few trips in my Jeep on the TC area ROWs in 80's. IIRC I was too busy hanging on to my beverage to take any photos. :lol: