Where Is It?

Posts that don't fit in the other train categories. Off Subject Chit Chat I tell you. :)
James Sofonia
Grand Traverse Dinner Train 1996

Re: Where Is It?

Unread post by James Sofonia »

railrod1949 wrote: I know that above shot is looking southwest.
Rodney that's brilliant since the compass is in the lower right of the picture.

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

railrod1949 wrote:
~Z~ wrote:Where be it?
Trail on far right side of photo is along an old ROW, then the trail veers off to the west while the original ROW continues to parallel the road in the foreground.

It's in west Michigan? I know that above shot is looking southwest.
It is in west michigan somewhere, correct.
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

railrod1949
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by railrod1949 »

~Z~ wrote:
railrod1949 wrote:
Trail on far right side of photo is along an old ROW, then the trail veers off to the west while the original ROW continues to parallel the road in the foreground.

It's in west Michigan? I know that above shot is looking southwest.
It is in west michigan somewhere, correct.

M-119 northwest of Petoskey.

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

railrod1949 wrote:M-119 northwest of Petoskey.
Noppers, think SouthWest michigan.
Webmaster

railrod1949
Railroadfan...fan

~Z~ wrote:

Van Buren Trail State Park, with Blue Star highway (old US-31, now A-2) in the foreground, looking southwest towards Benton Harbor and St. Joseph. Old C&O Railway spur ROW on the right that went to the Palisades Power Plant, all south of South Haven. In Covert Township, Van Buren County. The old C&O Railway (later Chessie, now CSXT) line between South Haven and Hartford was abandoned abandoned and ripped up five years ago. the spur that ran to the Palisades Power Plant had a connection with that South Haven branch between 16th Avenue and I-196 in South Haven Charter Township. All the road crossings on that branch did have crossbucks only.
Last edited by railrod1949 on Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

railrod1949 wrote:
~Z~ wrote:

Van Buren Trail State Park, with Blue Star highway (old US-31, now A-2) in the foreground, looking southwest towards Benton Harbor and St. Joseph. Old C&O Railway spur ROW on the right that went to the Paliside Power Plant, all south of South Haven. In Covert Township, Van Buren County.
There ya go Rodney, you got it. Good job browsing around to find it. Was indeed a spur that went to the nuke plant. Supposedly they are decommissioning that plant in a few years.
Webmaster

Jochs
Iron Horse Whisperer

Unread post by Jochs »

DaveO wrote:
Pixl wrote:Well I did much research on this location, but could not confirm all facts. But that said, I believe the state highway in front of this restaurant under the pavement used to be a branch line of a major RR in the area.
It was a Pere Marquette line. It seems that road is built on the r-o-w there.
The r.o.w. was west of M-139, though original US 31 crossed the Somerleyton Bridge, which was an old truss bridge over the St. Joseph River near Scottdale. It crossed Pipestone Rd. just west of M-139, and there used to be a wooden trestle over the Big 4 line, and another over Empire Ave in the valley between Pipestone and M-139.

BTW, Henry's Hamburgers used to be a nationwide chain...now only one restaurant remains, the one in Benton Harbor.
I should have gotten that one as well.

Stop googling my area! :lol: :lol:
Jeff O.
Celebrating 11 years dial-up free!

(18:36:45) MagnumForce: Railfanning is way more fun when you stop caring about locomotives and signals
(19:11:29) cbehr91: I can't believe I'm +1ing Brent but +1

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

Where be it? This narrow gauge is very closely parallels with an old ROW.
Attachments
wherebeit74.JPG
Webmaster

railrod1949
Railroadfan...fan

~Z~ wrote:Where be it? This narrow gauge is very closely parallels with an old ROW.

Michigan Ausable Valley RR near Fairview in northern Michigan!

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

railrod1949 wrote:
~Z~ wrote:Where be it? This narrow gauge is very closely parallels with an old ROW.

Noppers, way farther south.
Webmaster

railrod1949
Railroadfan...fan

~Z~ wrote:
railrod1949 wrote:

Noppers, way farther south.

Southern Michigan or SE Michigan?

James Sofonia

Burley Park near Howard City.

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

Pixl wrote:
Noppers. Rodney, in southeast michigan is where this photo is. There was a "where is it" 4 years ago that AARR guessed right on that's very close nearby.
Webmaster

80mac
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by 80mac »

~Z~ wrote:
Pixl wrote:
Noppers. Rodney, in southeast michigan is where this photo is. There was a "where is it" 4 years ago that AARR guessed right on that's very close nearby.
Yates Cider Mill.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

It looks like Yates. They have a short segment of narrow gauge rail on the north side of their building. They may use it to dump apples.
Yates Cider Mill.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

railrod1949
Railroadfan...fan

AARR wrote:It looks like Yates. They have a short segment of narrow gauge rail on the north side of their building. They may use it to dump apples.
Yates Cider Mill.

It's definately Yates Cider Mill, Rochester Hills, looking northeast towards 23 Mile Road and the old Michigan Central RR (later New York Central, later Penn central) RR ROW is just behind the photographer's current position. it use a short section of the narrow gauge railroad to transport the apples to the mill. Yates Cider Mill is just to the left of the above shot (not visible).
Last edited by railrod1949 on Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:15 am, edited 2 times in total.

Man o' War
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Man o' War »

That's Yates. AARR is correct in that it is used to dump apple remains after pressing. Pretty smelly affair on a hot day. As I recall, it is on a built on a slight grade and the loads are pushed gently out and then cable winched back into the mill. Fun to watch while you are swilling cider and stuffing yourself with really good donuts and fudge.

Man o' War

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NS3322 »

Where is it?
And if somebody can give more info on it that would be awesome to!

DaveO
Read more, think more, post less

Unread post by DaveO »

NS3322 wrote:Where is it?
And if somebody can give more info on it that would be awesome to!
Where it's at https://goo.gl/maps/WG8RgUq1Rnn

Actually around on 41 Road it would seem from the aerial.

Ephraim Shay lived in Haring during those years. The years during which his new locomotive type was planned and constructed.

Was this the site of his homestead? Don't know but it's possible.
Looking at the 1889 Atlas of Wexford County, Shay did own the land across 41 Road. Where the current track is was part of the townsite of Haring and ownership can't be determined from this atlas.
Last edited by DaveO on Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.

James Sofonia

Z,

Something screwy here. The photo you put up looks like a Google Street view, but if you bring up 1990 E Avon Rd, Rochester Hill on GS there are buildings missing, and there is no river next to the mill. It is South West of the mill where it crosses under the Avon Hy. Hmmnn..