West Michigan RR Abandonment Petition Coming

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan

Re: West Michigan RR Abandonment Petition Coming

Unread post by Super Chief »

So where did the rest of the locomotives go that were there? Also if stored cars are on the east end how do they run around the train as CSX after dropping off would put the cars on the west end. Does CSX notify them first so they can have the engine positioned in town prior to arrival?

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

lighthouse wrote:1/23/18....2 hoppers on the way 2 the West Michigan Railroad for rubber chip loading
Do you know where in Hartford that the hoppers are getting loaded with rubber chips? Do they get loaded right where CSX drops off the cars or does West Michigan RR pull them a bit east? Also heard they are getting tank cars sometimes as well.
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

Farmboybello
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Farmboybello »

Super Chief wrote:So where did the rest of the locomotives go that were there? Also if stored cars are on the east end how do they run around the train as CSX after dropping off would put the cars on the west end. Does CSX notify them first so they can have the engine positioned in town prior to arrival?
Currently there are two ex-UP locomotives stored on the east end of the line behind the Amish metal shop. There might still be another locomotive stored behind Hanson Logistics which is seen in the video I linked earlier. I also believe there is a small yard on the west end of the line that the cars can be stored on or the locomotive can run around on.
~Z~ wrote:
lighthouse wrote:1/23/18....2 hoppers on the way 2 the West Michigan Railroad for rubber chip loading
Do you know where in Hartford that the hoppers are getting loaded with rubber chips? Do they get loaded right where CSX drops off the cars or does West Michigan RR pull them a bit east? Also heard they are getting tank cars sometimes as well.
I am pretty sure the rubber chip hoppers are loaded in the city as it is the only place on the line that is able to load cars like that.
Railroad right of ways are for railroads, not bikes.

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

They unload and load everything right in downtown Hartford by CSX at the moment. No yard or runaround on the railroad, so the engine is always on the east end of the "train".
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NS3322 »

Farmboybello wrote:Currently there are two ex-UP locomotives stored on the east end of the line behind the Amish metal shop. There might still be another locomotive stored behind Hanson Logistics which is seen in the video I linked earlier. I also believe there is a small yard on the west end of the line that the cars can be stored on or the locomotive can run around on.
Were the T6 and CF7 moved someplace else?

Farmboybello
Railroadfan...fan

NS3322 wrote:
Farmboybello wrote:Currently there are two ex-UP locomotives stored on the east end of the line behind the Amish metal shop. There might still be another locomotive stored behind Hanson Logistics which is seen in the video I linked earlier. I also believe there is a small yard on the west end of the line that the cars can be stored on or the locomotive can run around on.
Were the T6 and CF7 moved someplace else?
The only locomotives that i know for sure that are there are the two ex-UP MP15s and #1512. There may be more that are hidden behind Hanson Logistics though.
Last edited by Farmboybello on Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

WMI and GLLX currently have the two ex UP MP15s, 1512, a T6, and the CF7 on the line. GLLX #4 sounds like it will be joining them at some point.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

TC Man
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by TC Man »

SD80MAC wrote:They unload and load everything right in downtown Hartford by CSX at the moment. No yard or runaround on the railroad, so the engine is always on the east end of the "train".
How does WMI even make money with this being right next to the CSX interchange? They only transport the cars a few hundred feet? Seems CSX could service this themselves?
CEO of the Waving Institute- teaching great wave forms.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

I’ve asked the same question.

It’s my understanding that one of the factors is a short line will switch the cars when the customer wants for less cost.
[quote="TC”]How does WMI even make money with this being right next to the CSX interchange? They only transport the cars a few hundred feet? Seems CSX could service this themselves?[/quote]
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Super Chief »

So the rumors they were going to put the line in back to Paw Paw can be put to rest. Bring on the trail to run in front of the Lake Cora residents homes, better than tankers being stored there. No news on this for a while so my guess the current state of affairs will suffice.

Farmboybello
Railroadfan...fan

Super Chief wrote:So the rumors they were going to put the line in back to Paw Paw can be put to rest. Bring on the trail to run in front of the Lake Cora residents homes, better than tankers being stored there. No news on this for a while so my guess the current state of affairs will suffice.
I would not totally put to rest the possibility of this line going back to Paw Paw. The owners of the line are putting in serious effort at finding customers along the line. Which would help bring a reason to expand it.

dave989
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by dave989 »

Went to Hartford to Hanson Logistics east of town. They have been doing lots of track work but not past
59th street. From there to Lawrence, they have cleared the brush but that is it so far. There is no way
to rebuild the line to Paw Paw without major $$$$$. Too much mother nature to clear away and the crossings
have been torn out east of Lawrence.

jimnorthwood
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by jimnorthwood »

"The WMRR fully intends to reactivate segments of the corridor as they become economically viable."

https://www.stb.gov/filings/all.nsf/ba7 ... 246819.pdf

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NS3322 »

Though getting to the point of making an offer has not been easy, working with the current owners of
WMRR has been a breath of fresh air. The previous owners were not very helpful, not just to the DNR,
but also to the new owners. The DNR’s discussions with the previous owners went silent for an
extended period. When it finally came to light that the corridor had been sold, we were soon to
discover that the new owners were not provided the basic information to the corridor they purchased.
This included such things as track maps and copies of the original deeds.
Pretty much sums up Pioneer!
I am glad the line has new owners!
The DNR applauds these efforts, and negotiations with WMRR have included discussions that the reactivated corridor will allow
for both rail and trail activities where possible. Except, between Mileposts 25.1 and 26.5. Here, the
previous owners of the WMRR sold the corridor, but that sale was made,
Is the infamous Lake Cora "backyard running" section between mileposts 25.1 and 26.5?

Farmboybello
Railroadfan...fan

NS3322 wrote:
The DNR applauds these efforts, and negotiations with WMRR have included discussions that the reactivated corridor will allow
for both rail and trail activities where possible. Except, between Mileposts 25.1 and 26.5. Here, the
Is the infamous Lake Cora "backyard running" section between mileposts 25.1 and 26.5?
Yes

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

So in other words, reactivated rail service will never extend beyond Lawrence?
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

NS3322 wrote: Is the infamous Lake Cora "backyard running" section between mileposts 25.1 and 26.5?
I'm happy to take advantage of the opportunity to post this image as much as I can. :lol: :D

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

J T wrote:
Not unless you can go around, or fork up a ton of money.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

Farmboybello
Railroadfan...fan

O Scale Railfanner wrote:
J T wrote:
Not unless you can go around, or fork up a ton of money.
Pioneer did sell the right of way next to Lake Cora but as I believe the STB document stated, the purchase agreement with the new owners included a clause that they have the right to reacquire the land to build through the area next to Lake Cora to connect the two segments of the right of way. Therefore, returning rail service to Paw Paw is 100% possible.

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NS3322 »

Farmboybello wrote:Pioneer did sell the right of way next to Lake Cora but as I believe the STB document stated, the purchase agreement with the new owners included a clause that they have the right to reacquire the land to build through the area next to Lake Cora to connect the two segments of the right of way. Therefore, returning rail service to Paw Paw is 100% possible.
Oh good! Cannot wait to hear the complaining from the NIMBY people! :lol: