Where Is It?

Posts that don't fit in the other train categories. Off Subject Chit Chat I tell you. :)
DaveO
Read more, think more, post less

Re: Where Is It?

Unread post by DaveO »

This used to be a rail yard and industrial area. Long time ago.

Imagerail yard by Dave O, on Flickr

railrod1949
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by railrod1949 »

DaveO wrote:This used to be a rail yard and industrial area. Long time ago.

Imagerail yard by Dave O, on Flickr
Somewhere along Woodward Avenue, M-1, between Detroit and pontiac.
Last edited by railrod1949 on Wed May 16, 2018 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

blueheron13
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by blueheron13 »

This sure looks like Woodward Ave in Oakland County, but even if true I don't know exactly where.
Amateur railfan trying to become a real railfan since 2017.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Along the Detroit River? Perhaps the Detroit Terminal?
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

James Sofonia
Grand Traverse Dinner Train 1996

Unread post by James Sofonia »

Traverse City in front of the Hotel Indigo?

Michael
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Michael »

You got it. Woodward and Maple (15 Mile) in downtown Birmingham
blueheron13 wrote:This sure looks like Woodward Ave in Oakland County, but even if true I don't know exactly where.

railrod1949
Railroadfan...fan

Michael wrote:You got it. Woodward and Maple (15 Mile) in downtown Birmingham
blueheron13 wrote:This sure looks like Woodward Ave in Oakland County, but even if true I don't know exactly where.
Yes, indeed, it's Woodward Avenue, M-1, looking southeat, just south of Maple Road in Birmingham, Oakland County.
Last edited by railrod1949 on Wed May 16, 2018 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DaveO

Unread post by DaveO »

You did much better than 2 other people I thought for sure would get it :shock:

Previously known as Hunter Blvd. This was the original railroad route through Birmingham. The now CN/GTW Holly Sub being relocated to the east during the 1930's.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Would you happen to have a map of the original ROW. I cannot envision how it would have looked.
DaveO wrote:

Previously known as Hunter Blvd. This was the original railroad route through Birmingham. The now CN/GTW Holly Sub being relocated to the east during the 1930's.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

GTW6401
how bout no

Unread post by GTW6401 »

Went across from Sherman Drive and 11 Mile in Royal Oak over to Woodward.

DaveO

Unread post by DaveO »

AARR wrote:Would you happen to have a map of the original ROW. I cannot envision how it would have looked.
DaveO wrote:

Generally speaking. Woodward was under the now southbound lanes. Just to the east roughly where the southbound left lane is was the interurban. It continued along Woodward through downtown Birmingham.

Leaving Royal Oak, the railroad followed the now Sherman Drive and then north under what is basically the left lane of northbound Woodward. It bypassed downtown Birmingham using what later was Hunter Blvd(now Woodward). Then as it came to the big hill at Long Lake, it veered northerly along the hillside back to the existing(and current) alignment. You can see much of that alignment with the current NOT 3D google aerial image.

As for the track in Birmingham, look at the 1921 Sanborn Maps in the following link https://www.loc.gov/item/sanborn03931_005/

blueheron13
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by blueheron13 »

Amateur railfan trying to become a real railfan since 2017.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Thanks guys :D

Michael
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Michael »

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

I think this is Star of the West in Quincy.
Michael wrote:Image

railrod1949
Railroadfan...fan

AARR wrote:I think this is Star of the West in Quincy.
Yes, indeed, it's Star of the West at the foot of Church Street. on the south side of the now INER RR aka the Little River RR in Quincy, Branch County. The shot above is looking south. Final run of the remaining passenger train on the former LS&MS RR (the Old Road), later NYC System RR, between Toledo, OH and Elkhart, IN, was made on November 19, 1956. Quincy is also located on US-12 betwween Coldwater and Jonesville.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

I finally guessed one right. If this were baseball my batting average would be about .004. :oops:
railrod1949 wrote:
AARR wrote:I think this is Star of the West in Quincy.
Yes, indeed, it's Star of the West at the foot of Church Street. on the south side of the now INER RR aka the Little River RR in Quincy, Branch County. The shot above is looking south. Final run of the remaining passenger train on the former LS&MS RR (the Old Road), later NYC System RR, between Toledo, OH and Elkhart, IN, was made on November 19, 1956. Quincy is also located on US-12 between Coldwater and Jonesville.

Michael
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Michael »

I posted that one specifically with you in mind AARR :)

Michael
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Michael »

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Thanks, I accept your gratuity :mrgreen:
Michael wrote:I posted that one specifically with you in mind AARR :)