GLC Updates May 2018

Daily whereabouts of train locations along with sightings for heads ups to other railfans.
TC Man
Railroadfan...fan

Re: GLC Updates May 2018

Unread post by TC Man »

AANscaleRunner wrote:Returned to Cadillac at 1810. Everything after the sand cars was taken to the north yard.

Last car is for Beacon so looks like 3 cars for Beacon in TC now.
CEO of the Waving Institute- teaching great wave forms.

AANscaleRunner
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by AANscaleRunner »

Sounded like northbound out of Cadillac shortly after 0900.

AANscaleRunner
Railroadfan...fan

Heard them return from the north at 1615.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

The cement cars are right after the sand cars. In a few months the clean shiny sand cars will probably be as dirty as the cement cars :) .
AANscaleRunner wrote:Returned to Cadillac at 1810. Everything after the sand cars was taken to the north yard.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

James Sofonia
Grand Traverse Dinner Train 1996

Unread post by James Sofonia »

AARR wrote:You are very fortunate to have watched this operation, Pixl. And you are correct about the flat cars between the engine and ferry. It was to keep the engine of the apron/ship
Another detail I recall was the plants and small trees growing out of the flat cars while they were still in service. I take it they spent years sitting on the ferry dock never carrying any loads, just pushing cars.

TC Man
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by TC Man »

Pixl wrote:
AARR wrote:You are very fortunate to have watched this operation, Pixl. And you are correct about the flat cars between the engine and ferry. It was to keep the engine of the apron/ship
Another detail I recall was the plants and small trees growing out of the flat cars while they were still in service. I take it they spent years sitting on the ferry dock never carrying any loads, just pushing cars.
If GLC went north yesterday, it was not to TC. 2 empty center beams from last week at Amerhart, and the 3 gons in Cadillac for Beacon are not in TC yet. Looks like Beacon has a couple or three hoppers and that box car on their siding.

Todd_F
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Todd_F »

TC Man wrote:
Pixl wrote:
If GLC went north yesterday, it was not to TC. 2 empty center beams from last week at Amerhart, and the 3 gons in Cadillac for Beacon are not in TC yet. Looks like Beacon has a couple or three hoppers and that box car on their siding.
Maybe Friday?? Someone on Facebook posted seeing a NBD GLC train through Durand last night (Wednesday) with a loaded centerbeam in the consist.
You know that little voice in your head? My wife says I lack that.

AANscaleRunner
Railroadfan...fan

Heard them in Cadillac this morning, heard them again around 1330. Didn't run to Clare today. Possible run to Yuma. Also heard MOW equipment moving around the north side. They are doing some track work north of town.

AANscaleRunner
Railroadfan...fan

390, 398 and 399 left Cadillac for Clare at 1010 with 4 tanks, 1 empty centerbeam, 2 tanks, 2 coke, 16 cement, 3 tanks and 22 sand. Wind is out of southeast, heard them almost all the way to McBain.

AANscaleRunner
Railroadfan...fan

Returned to Cadillac at 1650.

MiRailProductions
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MiRailProductions »

AANscaleRunner wrote:Returned to Cadillac at 1650.

I like that blue DJJX gon!
"If you are ever chasing trains, you're bound to end up on a 2-lane, double-striped road with a slow poke in front of you." -Danny Harmon
YouTube - Michigan Rail Productions
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPPgdn ... wZHDIyfk_Q

TC Man
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by TC Man »

MiRailProductions wrote:
AANscaleRunner wrote:Returned to Cadillac at 1650.

I like that blue DJJX gon!

Sounds like gons for Beacon in TC. Nice!

James Sofonia
Grand Traverse Dinner Train 1996

Unread post by James Sofonia »

MiRailProductions wrote: I like that blue DJJX gon!
I've watched these gons being loaded at Beacon, they use a magnetic crane to drop scrap into them. But how do they unload them at the other end? Seems a magnetic crane might pick up the whole car.
Attachments
7878.jpg

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

I'm pretty sure they unload using a magnetic crane too but you make a good point, Pixl. I don't know how they prevent the magnet from picking up the whole car. :?
Pixl wrote:
I've watched these gons being loaded at Beacon, they use a magnetic crane to drop scrap into them. But how do they unload them at the other end? Seems a magnetic crane might pick up the whole car.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

Unread post by Raildudes dad »

Pixl wrote:
One would need a really big magnet and an even bigger crane to pick up the car. Pretty sure they can turn on the magnet and the loose stuff will attach to the magnet.

KC8RBK
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by KC8RBK »

I used to see them unloading cars like that when I hauled into North star Bluescope in Delta, Ohio. I think the magnets are variable, it's not just on and off. The trick is having it high enough to lift the scrap and not the car. Derailments in places like that are fairly common though. At least once a month I'd see a crew in there putting cars back on the tracks and just imagine I was only there a few minutes a day.

firemedic54
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by firemedic54 »

4 unit grain train southbound from Durand.

BL2-1843
Howell Yardmaster

Unread post by BL2-1843 »

firemedic54 wrote:4 unit grain train southbound from Durand.
By Howell south at 11:05am. 396+397+382+329. Should be in Osmer by now.

penn central
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by penn central »

BL2-1843 wrote:
firemedic54 wrote:4 unit grain train southbound from Durand.
By Howell south at 11:05am. 396+397+382+329. Should be in Osmer by now.
Light power heading north now, I chased the loads from Durand to Osmer very nice, Then chased from Osmer to Milan on the AA, A very good day.

AANscaleRunner
Railroadfan...fan

392 and 395 returned to Cadillac at 1600 with 1 coke hopper, around 14 tie loads, 2 wood chip hoppers, 1 empty centerbeam, 5 tanks, 1 loaded centerbeam and a MOW flat with a small load of fresh ties.

Did not get to see them leave town this morning.