List of JAIL RR customers

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
railrod1949
Railroadfan...fan

List of JAIL RR customers

Unread post by railrod1949 »

Please list the active JAIL (Jackson and Lansing RR) RR customers. I know a few . Quality Dairy, Pandos, Alro Steel, Hazen Lumber,Reid Machinery, Michigan Package, and RSDC, as well as Kent Feeds, What are the new customers on the JAIL. Was the Scheafer Bread, a lumber yard on the west side of the old LSMS spur. I know the Lindell Forge was on the south side of the old spur. Can someone scan a map of the old spur showing the location of the Schaefer Bread and the lumber yard. Thanks!
Last edited by railrod1949 on Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:58 am, edited 2 times in total.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: List of JAIL RR customers

Unread post by AARR »

You got the ones I know of 1949.

They also do some tank car team track business including loading crude oil occasionally.
railrod1949 wrote:Please list the active JAIL (Jackson and Lansing RR) RR customers. I know a few . Quality Dairy, Panos, Alro Steel, Hazen Lumber, Michigan Package, and RSDC.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

MiddleMI
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MiddleMI »

Can we please have this merged with the existing and active thread on JAIL?

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=35821&start=20

railrod1949
Railroadfan...fan

AARR wrote:You got the ones I know of 1949.

They also do some tank car team track business including loading crude oil occasionally.
railrod1949 wrote:Please list the active JAIL (Jackson and Lansing RR) RR customers. I know a few . Quality Dairy, Panos, Alro Steel, Hazen Lumber, Michigan Package, and
RSDC.
Goot it all. Thanks AARR! Where is the tank car team track exactly located on JAIL RR?

Dan Cluley
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Dan Cluley »

As far as current customers, Hazen Lumber has been closed for a while, and Kent feeds has not received any rail traffic that I know of for quite a few years. Neither have the elevators in Mason or Leslie.

Lindell Forge was located where Reid Machinery is now, west of MLK and south of the tracks.
Hazen Lumber & a Lansing State Journal paper warehouse were east of MLK and south of the tracks.
Scheafer was a commercial bakery. I believe they were east of MLK and north of the tracks. I don't know if they ever had rail service, but it would have been a long time ago.

Tim
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Tim »

Also on the Hazen/State Journal track was a grocery chain, Schmits if I recall correctly. Schafers did a lot of business with PC, several covered hoppers of flour per day and a boxcar of something around twice a week. They were in the NE corner of Logan/MLK and the tracks. Also active on "The Farm" were four drop forges, another grocery outfit and Duro Therm where the QD is now. In 1968 the "NYC Job" spent 16 hours servicing industries from Holms Rd to Turner St with an occasional extra thrown in to take up the slack.

Waddy
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Waddy »

ambassador steel, willbur ellis and americhem.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Where is Wilber Ellis?
Waddy wrote:willbur ellis
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Waddy
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Waddy »

AARR wrote:Where is Wilber Ellis?
Eaton farm bureau in mason, I believe willbur ellis has something to do with their fertilizer applications.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Thanks Waddy
Waddy wrote:
AARR wrote:Where is Wilber Ellis?
Eaton farm bureau in mason, I believe willbur ellis has something to do with their fertilizer applications.

railrod1949
Railroadfan...fan

Dan Cluley wrote:As far as current customers, Hazen Lumber has been closed for a while, and Kent feeds has not received any rail traffic that I know of for quite a few years. Neither have the elevators in Mason or Leslie.

Lindell Forge was located where Reid Machinery is now, west of MLK and south of the tracks.
Hazen Lumber & a Lansing State Journal paper warehouse were east of MLK and south of the tracks.
Scheafer was a commercial bakery. I believe they were east of MLK and north of the tracks. I don't know if they ever had rail service, but it would have been a long time ago.
Are Capital Steel & Wire, Michigan Packing Co and Shafer Ready Mix companies still JAIL RR active rail customers, these rail customers are located south of Kipp Road, south of Mason.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Railroad1949, I don't think Capital Steel or Shafer Ready Mix are customers. Michigan Packaging of course is a customer and last I heard 2nd largest customer.
railrod1949 wrote:Are Capital Steel & Wire, Michigan Packing Co and Shafer Ready Mix companies still JAIL RR active rail customers, these rail customers are located south of Kipp Road, south of Mason.

Tim
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Tim »

Capital Steel & Wire was never a railroad customer. Shafer Ready Mix was a customer for a brief time shortly after they located there. IIRC, Shafer was the original customer on the east side of the main and MPC arrived after them. MPC moved here after the Valley Line to Eaton Rapids was abandoned. The original customer here was lumber wholesaler Schultz, Snyder & Steal which had been located at North Lansing and served by both the MC and C&O. They became Wicks prior to the move here hence the railroad name for the area was Wicks.

Dan Cluley
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Dan Cluley »

The original customer here was lumber wholesaler Schultz, Snyder & Steal which had been located at North Lansing and served by both the MC and C&O. They became Wicks prior to the move here hence the railroad name for the area was Wicks.
Were Wickes & SSS the same company? I seen to remember them being next to each other in the 1980s-'90s. I think there were separate spurs for each.

Did not realize that SSS came from North Lansing. Do you know exactly where they were located?

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

I may be wrong but I thought SSS acquired the property from Wickes Lumber.
Dan Cluley wrote:
The original customer here was lumber wholesaler Schultz, Snyder & Steal which had been located at North Lansing and served by both the MC and C&O. They became Wicks prior to the move here hence the railroad name for the area was Wicks.
Were Wickes & SSS the same company? I seen to remember them being next to each other in the 1980s-'90s. I think there were separate spurs for each.

Did not realize that SSS came from North Lansing. Do you know exactly where they were located?

Tim
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Tim »

Three S Lumber was located in the sw corner of Grand River Ave and the MC/PM joint main. The MC came in from the south just north of the Larch St underpass. The PM came in from the north around half way between the North Lansing Yard Office and Ed’s Bar, now Zoobie’s. Ed’s was a hangout for all the railroad guys.
Three S had a major fire in the early '70s. I was standing on the Saginaw Ave bridge at Saginaw Yard when a huge fireball mushroomed into the sky when one of the roofs collapsed. The MC/PM Main was closed for firefighting for several hours and the code line along the tracks were damaged.

DelayInBlock
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by DelayInBlock »

You can see a lot of JAIL's customers covered in this YouTube video.

Last edited by DelayInBlock on Wed May 30, 2018 10:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
Delay In Block Productions: "Railroading a Little Different than Usual."

Visit my YouTube Channel and Subscribe: http://www.YouTube.com/user/DelayInBlock
Like My Page on Facebook: http://www.Facebook.com/DelayInBlockProductions

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Thanks, DIB. I like your work.
DelayInBlock wrote:You can see a lot of JAIL's customers covered in this YouTube video.

railrod1949
Railroadfan...fan

Tim wrote:Capital Steel & Wire was never a railroad customer. Shafer Ready Mix was a customer for a brief time shortly after they located there. IIRC, Shafer was the original customer on the east side of the main and MPC arrived after them. MPC moved here after the Valley Line to Eaton Rapids was abandoned. The original customer here was lumber wholesaler Schultz, Snyder & Steal which had been located at North Lansing and served by both the MC and C&O. They became Wicks prior to the move here hence the railroad name for the area was Wicks.
Where about is Amercan on the JAIL former LS&MS trackage in Lansing? DIB mentioned about that rail customer on the video above. Is that customer still active?

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

They (Americhem) are across the street from JAIL's engine house in Mason. They unload in front of the engine house by team track.
railrod1949 wrote:Where about is Amercan on the JAIL former LS&MS trackage in Lansing? DIB mentioned about that rail customer on the video above. Is that customer still active?