GDLK Operations

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
NSSD70ACe
The Conrail Guru

Re: GDLK Operations

Unread post by NSSD70ACe »

Waddy wrote:
SD80MAC wrote:So I have no idea how true or not true this is, but I'm hearing that NS will be running unit trains to and from the new ethanol plant in Albion. Hearing they would come out of Elkhart with a GDLK crew, and an NS crew would jump on in Kalamazoo and take them east. Anyone else heard this?
Heard about it, just been talk so far.
Something new for the NIMBY crew in Kalamazoo to scream about when they hear the rumor. Certainly would be cool to see.

Forgot to ask: Where would these trains be going from Albion? Back into Kalamazoo or east to Detroit?
:roll:

the contents of the above post are my opinion and mine alone, and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Super Chief »

502 hit a truck at Shaver and Melody Lane yesterday at 1100 am approx. 4017 was engine involved. Truck destroyed but luckily the driver wasn't.

Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan

So whats the plan on these ethanol trains being hauled on an Amtrak line as far as speed and infastructure. Does the power have to have ITCS radios like the Burns Hatbor units?, does speed play into it if units aren't PTC equipped, is the Michigan line east of Kazoo have the problems solved they were having getting PTC working? Depending on direction is the Jackson power now have anything special now to run on this segment? Just curious as this changes the playing field a little bit. Also does the Kalamazoo branch need any updating for this business?

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

Super Chief wrote:So whats the plan on these ethanol trains being hauled on an Amtrak line as far as speed and infastructure. Does the power have to have ITCS radios like the Burns Hatbor units?, does speed play into it if units aren't PTC equipped, is the Michigan line east of Kazoo have the problems solved they were having getting PTC working? Depending on direction is the Jackson power now have anything special now to run on this segment? Just curious as this changes the playing field a little bit. Also does the Kalamazoo branch need any updating for this business?
AFAIK ITCS is NOT yet operable east of Kalamazoo, and NS' systems will be able to inter-operate with ITCS once they bring on PTC, but as of now they're stuck as to who's gonna support it right now, since it would require extra effort from NS right now to keep PTC-capable units on the MI Line.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

PatAzo
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PatAzo »

GAP wrote:Any more word about the stone trains to Kalamazoo? They were the talk of last summer but nothing seemed to materialize.
There is some conveying equipment, rail and what looks like a fabrication to bridge a small unload pit staged on the property.

Ben Higdon
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Ben Higdon »

This past saturday there were two woodchip(?) hoppers on the spur off the North Pass in Kalamazoo. Judging by the wheels they were spotted within the previous couple days. No indication of why they were there. The siding runs into a building but I didn't think to check if the rails were polished leading to the building's door. This was a James River facility, and later I heard LC Howard (warehousing) was using it. The parking lot is full of LC Howard trailers. Anyone know what they're there for?

Also noticed a few gondolas at the "junk yard" downtown.

Looks like more clearing has been done at the east end of the old Georgia Pacific property. There was a good amount of some kind of equipment or materials staged but couldn't tell what it was from the distance.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

IIRC they are loading them on MSO
Ben Higdon wrote:This past saturday there were two woodchip(?) hoppers on the spur off the North Pass in Kalamazoo.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

PatAzo
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PatAzo »

Ben Higdon wrote:This past saturday there were two woodchip(?) hoppers on the spur off the North Pass in Kalamazoo. Judging by the wheels they were spotted within the previous couple days. No indication of why they were there. The siding runs into a building but I didn't think to check if the rails were polished leading to the building's door. This was a James River facility, and later I heard LC Howard (warehousing) was using it. The parking lot is full of LC Howard trailers. Anyone know what they're there for?
Cotton seed for animal feed.

Waddy
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Waddy »

b34 delivers them, as pat said cotton seed

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Is It pulpwood loaded on MSO that I’m thinking of?
Waddy wrote:b34 delivers them, as pat said cotton seed
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Ben Higdon
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Ben Higdon »

PatAzo wrote:
Ben Higdon wrote:This past saturday there were two woodchip(?) hoppers on the spur off the North Pass in Kalamazoo. Judging by the wheels they were spotted within the previous couple days. No indication of why they were there. The siding runs into a building but I didn't think to check if the rails were polished leading to the building's door. This was a James River facility, and later I heard LC Howard (warehousing) was using it. The parking lot is full of LC Howard trailers. Anyone know what they're there for?
Cotton seed for animal feed.
Interesting. Wonder if this is basically a team track operation, or is LC Howard handling it?
And how is the cotton seed unloaded?

On a related note, any theories why MDOT decided to keep (a shorter version of) the North Pass? Only incentive I can think of is MOW. Unless NS requested/required a sidetrack for their exclusive use if a train crew died on hours or something odd like that.

Doktor No
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Doktor No »

They are, as said, cotton seed for animal feed..dairy cows. Increases the butterfat content in the milk. The unload by either using an overhead backhoe type thingy or just open the end doors and use a Bobcat to do it. Lake Odessa used to get a lot of them and a customer at Wyoming Yard gets/gots them also.
Curb Your Enthusiasm.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Middleton used to get them in box cars. They built a little ramp (barely enough room for the bobcat). The cottonseed was loaded into the boxcars bulk...no packaging or containers. The bobcats would just drive through the boxcar door and shovel the stuff out then turn on the ramp and dump it into trucks.
Doktor No wrote:They are, as said, cotton seed for animal feed..dairy cows. Increases the butterfat content in the milk. The unload by either using an overhead backhoe type thingy or just open the end doors and use a Bobcat to do it. Lake Odessa used to get a lot of them and a customer at Wyoming Yard gets/gots them also.

Waddy
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Waddy »

Jim_c
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Jim_c »

GDLK with 3 center beams loaded with ties north of the diamond in Kalamazoo. They stopped a few blocks north, but south of Paterson St. MOW crew looked to be preparing to unload the ties. Forklift and other equipment around there as well. My wife made me pay attention to driving, so my details are a bit sketchy.
Trails to Rails. Put the track back.

Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan

CP Park got new switch points installed, but signals are still unlit northbound. Have been that way for a couple of weeks. Signals at Cowling have been lit.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

Super Chief wrote:CP Park got new switch points installed, but signals are still unlit northbound. Have been that way for a couple of weeks. Signals at Cowling have been lit.
Maybe changed over to approach-lit?
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

tsinoms
Adult Gerber Baby

Unread post by tsinoms »

Can anyone confirm a new engine at the shop in GR? Was rolling by there on the way to work and saw what I thought to be a olive engine with a yellow stripe like the ADBF but didn't have a good view.
Also looks like 3531 has been taken off yard duties at least for now. 4125 is handling the yard solo.
This is my life. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

If this is a problem get used to it.

Waddy
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Waddy »

tsinoms wrote:Can anyone confirm a new engine at the shop in GR? Was rolling by there on the way to work and saw what I thought to be a olive engine with a yellow stripe like the ADBF but didn't have a good view.
Also looks like 3531 has been taken off yard duties at least for now. 4125 is handling the yard solo.
its just the 4225

dave989
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by dave989 »

I went to the engine house on Friday and saw no sign of any new or odd power on the Elk
in Grand Rapids.