GLC Updates April 2018

Daily whereabouts of train locations along with sightings for heads ups to other railfans.
AANscaleRunner
Railroadfan...fan

Re: GLC Updates April 2018

Unread post by AANscaleRunner »

Todd_F wrote:Nice score on 382, Mark!!
I'm definitely coming up to shoot that tomorrow. Does the freight they took to North Yard go to Kalkaska? Just trying to gauge my trip.

GLC 390 just got clearance across CN in Durand at 8:06 PM. No doubt running down to interchange Anne Pere.
The hoppers were all for Wyoming Feed here in town. Not sure about the tanks. Best bet is to get to the engine house at 8 and see which way they go. Good luck in the chase. I should have taken tomorrow off work for chasing. :lol:

Todd_F
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Todd_F »

Thanks Mark, I appreciate it.
You know that little voice in your head? My wife says I lack that.

Todd_F
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Todd_F »

382 & 399 on duty at 8, sharp. Currently kickin' cars at the east end of Selma Yard at 8:20am. Great lighting for 382 if/when they go south.

UPDATE:
They are making a Yuma Run at 8:48 AM. Power is tacking onto the hoppers right now.

AANscaleRunner
Railroadfan...fan

Looks like you picked a great day to be up here. I knew I should have called in sick and chased trains. :lol:

Todd_F
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Todd_F »

Indeed.
They should be departing Wexford by 10:45. Need to pick up the cut.

AANscaleRunner
Railroadfan...fan

382 and 399 left Cadillac for Clare around 1215 with what looked like 5 coke hoppers, 1 empty centerbeam, 3 tanks and 29 sand hoppers. Had a bit of an obstructed view today, count may be off by one or two.

Todd_F
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Todd_F »

The Cadillac and Owosso trains are swapping at Lake George at 2:10pm.

382 is going back to Owosso.

AANscaleRunner
Railroadfan...fan

397 and 390 returned to Cadillac at 1540 with 4 sand hoppers, 1 loaded centerbeam, 1 covered hopper, 9 tanks and 42 sand hoppers. Assuming the first 4 hoppers were sand, they looked to be very clean.

BL2-1843
Howell Yardmaster

Unread post by BL2-1843 »

GLC came to Howell Sunday morning shortly after 10:00 to pick up the 68 cars CSX left for them in the Howell passing siding last Thursday. Consist for this train was listed here on the 19th. They replaced it with nearly 40 cars for CSX whenever they get around to picking up these. Power heading south was 382+392+399 . Should be heading back north before noon. Guess 385 has been out of service for quite some time already with a power assembly failure and may not run again. The GP35s are dropping fast with 390+392+393 the only 35s now running. Their "new" 382 is the best unit running to date now and has turned out well for them. Can smell the new paint coming for it already.

MiRailProductions
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MiRailProductions »

BL2-1843 wrote:GLC came to Howell Sunday morning shortly after 10:00 to pick up the 68 cars CSX left for them in the Howell passing siding last Thursday. Consist for this train was listed here on the 19th. They replaced it with nearly 40 cars for CSX whenever they get around to picking up these. Power heading south was 382+392+399 . Should be heading back north before noon. Guess 385 has been out of service for quite some time already with a power assembly failure and may not run again. The GP35s are dropping fast with 390+392+393 the only 35s now running. Their "new" 382 is the best unit running to date now and has turned out well for them. Can smell the new paint coming for it already.
GLC 385 has been in and out of service ever since the collision and derailment in South Boardman in 2012. Todd_F posted a video on his channel that shows GLC 385 in service on ONTN just this past week, so did it come back out of service recently? It'd be sad to see my favorite GP35, and favorite diesel loco for that matter, go. I've got a lot of childhood memories with it.
"If you are ever chasing trains, you're bound to end up on a 2-lane, double-striped road with a slow poke in front of you." -Danny Harmon
YouTube - Michigan Rail Productions
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPPgdn ... wZHDIyfk_Q

AANscaleRunner
Railroadfan...fan

390 and 397 leaving Cadillac for Clare at 1000 with 7 covered hoppers (feed empties), 1 tank, 10 tie loads and 4 tanks.

AANscaleRunner
Railroadfan...fan

392 and 382 returned to Cadillac at 1445 with 3 wood chip hoppers, 1 pole load, 1 idler, 1 pole load, 1 idler, 1 pole load, 15 sand hoppers, 3 tanks, 1 gondola, 3 cement hoppers and 3 tanks.

Gon looked empty from my vantage point.

Todd_F
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Todd_F »

^^Hmm, Wexford again tomorrow before Clare, perhaps? Would be crazy cool if 382 goes north with those tanks and cement.

TC Man
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by TC Man »

Todd_F wrote:^^Hmm, Wexford again tomorrow before Clare, perhaps? Would be crazy cool if 382 goes north with those tanks and cement.
There is a loaded center beam for Traverse City currently in Cadillac , and I'll bet that empty gon is also for Traverse City.
CEO of the Waving Institute- teaching great wave forms.

Todd_F
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Todd_F »

In light of GLCs new SDs finally hitting the rails, I have a couple questions for some of our far more knowledgeable and seasoned AA fans.
When might be the last time a 6-axle locomotive ran freight service north and/or west of Cadillac?
Are the TC/Petosky lines capable of handling the heavier SDs? I've heard "never gonna happen" a lot on this question.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

To the best of my knowledge the last time a 6-axle engine ran wet of Cadillac was in the late 60's when several LS&I GE's were on loan to DT&I. I think they made a trip or two on AA. However, I don't know if they came over on the ferries or not.

As far as north of Cadillac I think MIGN might have tried out a 6 axle unit in the late 70's before settling on GP7's.

Maybe someone else will have better recollections than me.
Todd_F wrote:In light of GLCs new SDs finally hitting the rails, I have a couple questions for some of our far more knowledgeable and seasoned AA fans.
When might be the last time a 6-axle locomotive ran freight service north and/or west of Cadillac?
Are the TC/Petosky lines capable of handling the heavier SDs? I've heard "never gonna happen" a lot on this question.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

TC Man
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by TC Man »

Todd_F wrote:In light of GLCs new SDs finally hitting the rails, I have a couple questions for some of our far more knowledgeable and seasoned AA fans.

The former C&O rails in the TC area (TC to Grawn and TC to Williamsburg) are 112lb or better (133lb in some areas). The former PRR from Walton Junction to MP 16 (or so) was totally rebuild in the early 2000's with all new ties, ballast, and I want to say 133lb rail. From MP16 to MP 25.0 (at the TC depot where the old PRR ends at the C&O rails) is a mix of 85lb and 100lb, with 112lb at several rebuilt crossings (and several yards each side of those crossings). Where they rebuilt about 1/2 mile of track when the 2 tunnels went in, that stretch has all new ties, ballast, and 115lb rail.

That being said, doing the per-axle weight, it seems that the weight would be very similar between a GP35/38 or the SD-40? SD-40 more weight, but distributed along 6 axles instead of 4? The Dakota Southern ran 6 axles on 85lb rail before they rebuilt their line.
CEO of the Waving Institute- teaching great wave forms.

Todd_F
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Todd_F »

Thank you for the fantastic information, guys!! I don't know about others, but the prospect of having SDs roaming rails that haven't seen SDs since I was a child, or even before I was born, is utterly fascinating to me. I can't describe how excited it was to shoot 382 on that Yuma run last week - it just felt like a historic event to me.

If anyone is interested in viewing the extensive video, it can be found here on YouTube.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4eTJzEiM6Uo&t=254s

Thanks again for the info guys, I really appreciate it!

AANscaleRunner
Railroadfan...fan

Appears they ran north towards Petoskey today judging by what is missing from the North Yard. They have not returned as of 1930.

KC
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by KC »

AANscaleRunner wrote:Appears they ran north towards Petoskey today judging by what is missing from the North Yard. They have not returned as of 1930.

Correct! Here's a few shots, caught up with them at Elmira then on to Petoskey.

Elmira:

Boyne Falls:

Petoskey:

Kelly
"I feel like an old railroad man
...and I know I can walk along the tracks,
It may take a little longer but I'll know
how to find my way back"