Dunkirk Ohio

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
matt76
Railroadfan...fan

Dunkirk Ohio

Unread post by matt76 »

I’m going to be in Dunkirk tomorrow and was wandering if it was a very busy spot or not. Thanks for any info!

JoJames
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Dunkirk Ohio

Unread post by JoJames »

matt76 wrote:I’m going to be in Dunkirk tomorrow and was wandering if it was a very busy spot or not. Thanks for any info!
I would say No.
If you saw three or four trains during daylight hours it would be considered a extremely busy day.

northstar16
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by northstar16 »

Been there a few times. I was wondering if that old brick railroad tower building is still in use. It has been there for many years. The last time I was there the railroad was still using it but it has been at least 10 years ago. Not many trains run there anymore my buddy lives by the tracks tells me maybe four a day sometimes six but nothing much there like it was in the past.

h2466
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by h2466 »

northstar16 wrote: The last time I was there the railroad was still using it but it has been at least 10 years ago. Not many trains run there anymore my buddy lives by the tracks tells me maybe four a day sometimes six but nothing much there like it was in the past.
CSX signal crews still us it. I think the train count is a little higher than six though.

cbehr91
Chairman of the Bored

Unread post by cbehr91 »

Tower's still there. As a typical overbuilt Pennsy facility it will outlive the apocalypse. Dunkirk's not very busy. In 24 hours there might be 10 trains. Your best bet would be to start in Ft. Wayne or Lima in the morning, see if you can get an eastbound NS (usually an oil train), and chase it.

MSchwiebert
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MSchwiebert »

This is why the tower is a brick, compared to the other towers that once dotted the former PRR main.

http://www.gendisasters.com/ohio/16722/ ... k-nov-1941

Toppysager
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Toppysager »

On weekdays CSX runs

H719
H719
Q131
Q132
Q146
Q147