GLC Updates April 2018

Daily whereabouts of train locations along with sightings for heads ups to other railfans.
Todd_F
Railroadfan...fan

Re: GLC Updates April 2018

Unread post by Todd_F »

^^Three runs to Yuma this week. I like this a LOT! Curious to see if 3 locos on the Turns that meet in Clare becomes the norm... at least until the SD's come online.
You know that little voice in your head? My wife says I lack that.

BL2-1843
Howell Yardmaster

Unread post by BL2-1843 »

GLC was in Howell prior to noon on Saturday (395-399+397) bringing with them 32 more cars for CSX, added them to the cars already in the transfer, and put them all into the CSX passing siding, and picked up the 57 cars CSX delivered to them on Thursday. Within the pick up were 12 box cars in a row, ten lettered for MQT and two LRS. Who on GLC is getting this box car traffic and what is in them?

Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

Unread post by Raildudes dad »

BL2-1843 wrote:Within the pick up were 12 box cars in a row, ten lettered for MQT and two LRS. Who on GLC is getting this box car traffic and what is in them?
Car numbers :) ?

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

Raildudes dad wrote:
BL2-1843 wrote:Within the pick up were 12 box cars in a row, ten lettered for MQT and two LRS. Who on GLC is getting this box car traffic and what is in them?
Possible scrapping? Many of those MQT boxes are up against their age limits.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

BL2-1843
Howell Yardmaster

Unread post by BL2-1843 »

Raildudes dad wrote:
The two LRS cars were 2227 & 2309. Eight of the ten MQT cars were: 1021,1075,1114,1153,1171,1176,1244, and 1264.

TC Man
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by TC Man »

BL2-1843 wrote:
Raildudes dad wrote:
The two LRS cars were 2227 & 2309. Eight of the ten MQT cars were: 1021,1075,1114,1153,1171,1176,1244, and 1264.

Beacon in Traverse City seems to have a taste for scrapping rail cars....
CEO of the Waving Institute- teaching great wave forms.

James Sofonia
Grand Traverse Dinner Train 1996

Unread post by James Sofonia »

TC Man wrote: Beacon in Traverse City seems to have a taste for scrapping rail cars....
Seems kinda ironic that a functioning rail car, working brakes etc. come up here as rail traffic just to meet their fate as scrap that is then loaded in gondolas that look worse than the scraped cars did. Whats wrong with these cars anyhow?

TC Man
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by TC Man »

Pixl wrote:
TC Man wrote: Beacon in Traverse City seems to have a taste for scrapping rail cars....
Seems kinda ironic that a functioning rail car, working brakes etc. come up here as rail traffic just to meet their fate as scrap that is then loaded in gondolas that look worse than the scraped cars did. Whats wrong with these cars anyhow?
Once cars reach a certain age, they cannot be used in interchange service any more. They can be used in captive service on the same railroad though.
CEO of the Waving Institute- teaching great wave forms.

Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

Unread post by Raildudes dad »

Interesting trace, loads currently in Durand as of 13:30, destination of Owosso - HESR

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Perhaps for the warehouse in Saginaw?
Raildudes dad wrote:Interesting trace, loads currently in Durand as of 13:30, destination of Owosso - HESR
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

penn central
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by penn central »

AARR wrote:Perhaps for the warehouse in Saginaw?
Raildudes dad wrote:Interesting trace, loads currently in Durand as of 13:30, destination of Owosso - HESR
Owosso mmm? Im thinking Georgia Pacific in Owosso. I see those kind of cars at Filer City PCA all the time, Those are probably loaded with roll stock.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Oops :oops: You're right PC, I meant GP in Owosso.
penn central wrote:
AARR wrote:Perhaps for the warehouse in Saginaw?
Owosso mmm? Im thinking Georgia Pacific in Owosso. I see those kind of cars at Filer City PCA all the time, Those are probably loaded with roll stock.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

penn central
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by penn central »

It would be nice wouldn't it AARR the spur into Central Whse is still totally intact maybe some day they will break the rust off of it.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

It wasn't too long ago they were shipping GTW 60' hi-cubes to Central Warehouse. I was told it was auto parts from a local plant.
penn central wrote:It would be nice wouldn't it AARR the spur into Central Whse is still totally intact maybe some day they will break the rust off of it.

AANscaleRunner
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by AANscaleRunner »

Headed to Yuma around 0930.

North of Boon around 0945.

Harrietta around 0955.

Returned from Yuma at 1145 with approximately 30 sand hoppers.

KC8RBK
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by KC8RBK »

The empty flat cars and the plastic cars from the Ithaca bean plant are gone. I would guess the Friday sb took them.

Todd_F
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Todd_F »

Thanks for the videos, Mark!
Just out of curiosity, how many times can one catch this train in good weather conditions while obeying speed limits? There was still a good amount of ice on key roads when I was up last Monday which hindered my progress. It looked as though a train could be caught arriving/departing both ends and twice, very comfortably, in between.
You know that little voice in your head? My wife says I lack that.

AANscaleRunner
Railroadfan...fan

Todd_F wrote:Thanks for the videos, Mark!
Just out of curiosity, how many times can one catch this train in good weather conditions while obeying speed limits? There was still a good amount of ice on key roads when I was up last Monday which hindered my progress. It looked as though a train could be caught arriving/departing both ends and twice, very comfortably, in between.
Roads were dry and clear today, however the weather not so sunny. i was able to keep ahead of them by a few minutes out to Harrietta. Didn't have time to stick around and wait for them though. I would think your guess of catching them at both ends and twice in between is pretty good. Maybe even a third shot depending on their speed.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Nice vantage point, AANR. I like how you caught them coming from a distance.
AANscaleRunner wrote:North of Boon around 0945.

AANscaleRunner
Railroadfan...fan

397, 399 and 395 rolled into Cadillac at 1545 with 2 covered hoppers, 20 sand hoppers, 1 tank and 18 cement hoppers. Currently switching Selma Yard. Cadillac crew was still switching here in town at 1300.