NS Peavine talk

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
heypal6878
Railroadfan...fan

Re: NS Peavine talk

Unread post by heypal6878 »

Midland for someone who knows all about the I&O you even know what is going on with the CCET. You're correct about the new people in charge of the CCET they have some ideas and are getting to know and work the Peavine to establish more potential customers. The counties along the lines need to seek more businesses as there is so much property on the line just sitting there waiting to be purchased. If they just land one major development that will use rail transport the CCET will be in business for years to come.

Paw95
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Paw95 »

Is their any idea if rail removal will be this summer? Their is a few things I would like to get pictures and videos of for YouTube. Also I would like to purchase some railroad stuff for collection.

heypal6878
Railroadfan...fan

There is no timetable set for removal of the tracks out east. I would think they will start in the spring. Since the rail belongs to NS would think they would be the contact. That part of the line has not been sold to the state or any county so they should be in charge of taking out the line or subcontracting. Midland Sub might know more since Mark knows more than anyone about the Peavine.

Paw95
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Paw95 »

Theirs a few things I’d like to buy. Like at least one signal to restore.

heypal6878
Railroadfan...fan

Not sure how you would go about buying stuff from the railroad.

h2466
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by h2466 »

heypal6878 wrote:Not sure how you would go about buying stuff from the railroad.
Try ebay.

Paw95
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Paw95 »

I can’t seem to find the right spot on eBay. It always brings up the scale model signals. Maybe I’m putting in the wrong thing

heypal6878
Railroadfan...fan

I surely don't think you will find any peavine stuff on ebay think that post was trying to be funny. Have a lot of guys on here that like to bash the Peavine.

h2466
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by h2466 »

heypal6878 wrote:I surely don't think you will find any peavine stuff on ebay think that post was trying to be funny. Have a lot of guys on here that like to bash the Peavine.
Have you ever looked on Ebay for signals? How is giving a starting point bashing the Peavine? I've bought several signals from Ebay. Paw95 try this FB link https://www.facebook.com/groups/Railroa ... ndSignals/. There a great bunch of collectors. I'm sure you can find some help there.

heypal6878
Railroadfan...fan

Books and pictures maybe but signs....signals...I don't see any on ebay.

h2466
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by h2466 »

heypal6878 wrote:Books and pictures maybe but signs....signals...I don't see any on ebay.
Bahahaha, I always liked your since of humor heypal...

heypal6878
Railroadfan...fan

Thanks pal! I figured you were joking as the only way one would be selling signals on the Peavine would be if that person illegally took it off the line and try to sell it. All the signals on the line still belong to NS.

h2466
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by h2466 »

heypal6878 wrote:Thanks pal! I figured you were joking as the only way one would be selling signals on the Peavine would be if that person illegally took it off the line and try to sell it. All the signals on the line still belong to NS.
I wasn't joking nor was I encouriging the theft of any Railroad property. Paw95 have you tried contacting NS? They may be able to point you in the right direction. Another possibility is to talk to the company scrapping the line when that time comes. Ken.

Paw95
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Paw95 »

I’ll try calling the NS office in town to see. It may be difficult to do so.

heypal6878
Railroadfan...fan

Rather difficult! NS isn't going to sell any signals off the Peavine. If and when the scrap the line you may be able to get something from the scrapers.

h2466
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by h2466 »

Paw95 wrote:I’ll try calling the NS office in town to see. It may be difficult to do so.
I'd start at the top myself, NS land sales, any local office wouldn't have the authority to sell. I found this out when I bought some abandoned NKP ROW. You never know.

heypal6878
Railroadfan...fan

Paw you may get lucky but doubt is unless NS gives the OK to scrap the east part of the line. Nothing happening out there yet, everything has been put on hold from what I have heard. Scrappers may just give you whatever you want. NS has no use for any of the old equipment out there as most has been shot up or worse. NS offices here will not authorize any sale of equipment most likely won't even talk to you about it.

Three months ago the east part of the Peavine was going to be scrapped now something is going on and everything is on hold. Maybe waiting for spring hard to tell. For a line that has been out of service for years there is still plenty of talk from NS about the Vera Bridge. I'm trying to get some information from my guy who works in Atlanta for NS. He told me two weeks ago everything is put on hold for several abandoned tracks that were going to be scraped. Five of the rails have been sold off two years ago down south but no activity to pull up the rails yet. Weird but then again that is NS.

Paw95
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Paw95 »

h2466 wrote:
Paw95 wrote:I’ll try calling the NS office in town to see. It may be difficult to do so.
I'd start at the top myself, NS land sales, any local office wouldn't have the authority to sell. I found this out when I bought some abandoned NKP ROW. You never know.
I’ll try to find them then. Thanks.

Paw95
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Paw95 »

heypal6878 wrote:Paw you may get lucky but doubt is unless NS gives the OK to scrap the east part of the line. Nothing happening out there yet, everything has been put on hold from what I have heard. Scrappers may just give you whatever you want. NS has no use for any of the old equipment out there as most has been shot up or worse. NS offices here will not authorize any sale of equipment most likely won't even talk to you about it.

Three months ago the east part of the Peavine was going to be scrapped now something is going on and everything is on hold. Maybe waiting for spring hard to tell. For a line that has been out of service for years there is still plenty of talk from NS about the Vera Bridge. I'm trying to get some information from my guy who works in Atlanta for NS. He told me two weeks ago everything is put on hold for several abandoned tracks that were going to be scraped. Five of the rails have been sold off two years ago down south but no activity to pull up the rails yet. Weird but then again that is NS.
Yes maybe theirs a good reason they are on hold not sure. But they started loading coal trains again at one mine in West Virginia. I hear from railroad people and I can see it myself living close to the main that coal traffic is picking up again.

heypal6878
Railroadfan...fan

I noticed something kind of interesting today. The tower signals that were bagged on the Oasis line and on parts of the Peavine are now not covered anymore. I was over by the oasis line today on red bank and checked out the tower signal lights they are off but the white bag that was over the lights is gone not on the ground not in a ditch but nowhere to be found. same for the tower light on Debolt in Newtown the cover is off and has been off for a few weeks. Thought that to be odd.