GLC Updates February 2018

Daily whereabouts of train locations along with sightings for heads ups to other railfans.
Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

Re: GLC Updates February 2018

Unread post by Raildudes dad »

Could be, there's a scale track in Owosso at least there was back in the days I was a conductor on the Lake Central Rail Tours excursion trains.

AANscaleRunner
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by AANscaleRunner »

Sounded like northbound out of Cadillac at 0915.

James Sofonia
Grand Traverse Dinner Train 1996

Unread post by James Sofonia »

AANscaleRunner wrote:Sounded like northbound out of Cadillac at 0915.
Nothing here in TC as of 1245. Must have gone the Kalkaska way.

TC Man
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by TC Man »

Pixl wrote:
AANscaleRunner wrote:Sounded like northbound out of Cadillac at 0915.
Nothing here in TC as of 1245. Must have gone the Kalkaska way.
I don't think they had anything for Amerhart. So if they did come to TC today it would just be to Beacon to drop off those 2 and pick up the one load waiting.
CEO of the Waving Institute- teaching great wave forms.

railroader and son
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by railroader and son »

Dropped off 10 TSBY 3 bay coverd hoppers at Beacon for
scrapping,already ripping them apart today.

MiRailProductions
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MiRailProductions »

railroader and son wrote:Dropped off 10 TSBY 3 bay coverd hoppers at Beacon for
Did they bring up the two DJJX gons too? That'd make for a 12 car train... the longest train into TC in quite a while.
"If you are ever chasing trains, you're bound to end up on a 2-lane, double-striped road with a slow poke in front of you." -Danny Harmon
YouTube - Michigan Rail Productions
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPPgdn ... wZHDIyfk_Q

Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

Unread post by Raildudes dad »

Looks like they brought the 2 back and left again with all 3

TC Man
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by TC Man »

Raildudes dad wrote:Looks like they brought the 2 back and left again with all 3

Impressive! So I'm guessing these 10 scrapped hoppers should turn into many gondola scrap loads for GLC. Hopefully?

So how does this work? Would Beacon have paid GLC a certain scrap value for the cars (with "free" delivery), and then GLC would make some revenue when the scrap is shipped out in gondolas (assuming Beacon ships the scrap via rail)?

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

IIRC a end of line sign was placed in the rails a little south of Beacon which places the passing siding in Grawn OOS. So did GLC push the cars to Beacon? Did they have engines at each end (push-pull)?
MiRailProductions wrote:
Did they bring up the two DJJX gons too? That'd make for a 12 car train... the longest train into TC in quite a while.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

MiRailProductions
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MiRailProductions »

AARR wrote:IIRC a end of line sign was placed in the rails a little south of Beacon which places the passing siding in Grawn OOS. So did GLC push the cars to Beacon? Did they have engines at each end (push-pull)?
MiRailProductions wrote:
I believe they shove backwards from the run-around at Boardman Yard or at the depot.
"If you are ever chasing trains, you're bound to end up on a 2-lane, double-striped road with a slow poke in front of you." -Danny Harmon
YouTube - Michigan Rail Productions
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPPgdn ... wZHDIyfk_Q

TC Man
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by TC Man »

MiRailProductions wrote:
AARR wrote:IIRC a end of line sign was placed in the rails a little south of Beacon which places the passing siding in Grawn OOS. So did GLC push the cars to Beacon? Did they have engines at each end (push-pull)?
I believe they shove backwards from the run-around at Boardman Yard or at the depot.
Seems they would do push pull, as I can't imagine conductor riding 12 cars up in ice cold weather? Anyone get pics?

railroader and son
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by railroader and son »

Seen picture's on a GLC Facebook page of them ripping up the hoppers,in the past the practice has been shove from Boardman Yard.

TCBrent
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by TCBrent »

Here’s a photo I grabbed of the Beacon siding in Traverse City this evening.
Attachments
9621C04B-427A-4EB9-81A9-846DF95DA48B.jpeg

TC Man
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by TC Man »

railroader and son wrote:Seen picture's on a GLC Facebook page of them ripping up the hoppers,in the past the practice has been shove from Boardman Yard.
Do you have a link you can share?

TC Man
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by TC Man »

TC Man wrote:
Raildudes dad wrote:Looks like they brought the 2 back and left again with all 3

Impressive! So I'm guessing these 10 scrapped hoppers should turn into many gondola scrap loads for GLC. Hopefully?

So how does this work? Would Beacon have paid GLC a certain scrap value for the cars (with "free" delivery), and then GLC would make some revenue when the scrap is shipped out in gondolas (assuming Beacon ships the scrap via rail)?
Anyone have some business insight on my above question?

AANscaleRunner
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by AANscaleRunner »

396 and 399 left Cadillac for Clare at 1135 with 3 empty centerbeams, 1 pole load, 2 covered hoppers, 3 tanks, 4 wood chip hoppers, 5 tie loads, 12 tanks, 7 coke hoppers, 1 tank and 3 DJJX gons.

Last edited by AANscaleRunner on Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

James Sofonia

railroader and son wrote:Seen picture's on a GLC Facebook page of them ripping up the hoppers,in the past the practice has been shove from Boardman Yard.
I looked at the GLC facebook page. Only a dozen or so pictures none this recent. Maybe I had the wrong page?

James Sofonia

TCBrent wrote:Here’s a photo I grabbed of the Beacon siding in Traverse City this evening.

Anyone know where those hoppers came from? They remind me of the TSBY cars they pulled out of Frankfort on the last run out of there just before the line was abandoned. Anyone remember seeing that?

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

They look like the cars that have been stored at the abandoned Ethanol Plant in Ithaca (Now being resurrected as a soy bean processing plant). These cars were used in seasonal grain shuttle service between Cadillac and Middleton.
Pixl wrote:
TCBrent wrote:Here’s a photo I grabbed of the Beacon siding in Traverse City this evening.

Anyone know where those hoppers came from? They remind me of the TSBY cars they pulled out of Frankfort on the last run out of there just before the line was abandoned. Anyone remember seeing that?
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

James Sofonia

I stopped at Beacon this afternoon, one of the hoppers was flipped over on it's side and the wheel sets were still on the rails. Also the snow over the rails on the main line is undisturbed beyond Beacon so they must have pushed the cars in from TC.

IMG_0622a.jpg