GLC Updates January 2018

Daily whereabouts of train locations along with sightings for heads ups to other railfans.
AANscaleRunner
Railroadfan...fan

Re: GLC Updates January 2018

Unread post by AANscaleRunner »

Heard them return to Cadillac at 1500. They finished switching North Yard at 1600. Did see last Friday's boxcar inside the Wyoming Feed facility. That mystery is solved.

TCBrent
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by TCBrent »

Looks like they didn’t take the gondola brought up last week. Currently 2 gons in the siding in at Beacon in TC

TC Man
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by TC Man »

TCBrent wrote:Looks like they didn’t take the gondola brought up last week. Currently 2 gons in the siding in at Beacon in TC
Based on the time they were back in Cadillac, thinking they just dropped that gondola and went right back to Cadillac- don't think they would have had time to ginger the empty in Williamsburg either.
CEO of the Waving Institute- teaching great wave forms.

TC Man
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by TC Man »

Also notice a new red square sign planted right in the center of the Grawn branch main track just beyond the Beacon property with white lettering (end of track, out of service, something like that).

AANscaleRunner
Railroadfan...fan

390 and 385 left Cadillac for Clare at 1115 with 3 pole loads, 2 tie loads, 3 covered hoppers, 1 empty center beam, 2 covered hoppers, 4 tanks, 1 boxcar, 7 tanks, 1 covered hopper, 4 tanks, 1 boxcar, 14 covered hoppers.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Seems like they won't be using the Grawn passing siding anymore
TC Man wrote:Also notice a new red square sign planted right in the center of the Grawn branch main track just beyond the Beacon property with white lettering (end of track, out of service, something like that).
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

TC Man
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by TC Man »

AARR wrote:Seems like they won't be using the Grawn passing siding anymore
TC Man wrote:Also notice a new red square sign planted right in the center of the Grawn branch main track just beyond the Beacon property with white lettering (end of track, out of service, something like that).
Probably with Cherry Growers officially shut down and all equipment to be sold to pay off creditors, it's either mean the end of the Grawn branch beyond Beacon (or maybe a couple miles beyond where there are non-rail using industries that could hold hope for rail use). OR, the empty building gets sold to someone else who decided to use rail. One can only hope that GLC partners with the seller (when that comes) to promote it as a rail-friendly facility.

AANscaleRunner
Railroadfan...fan

AANscaleRunner wrote:390 and 385 left Cadillac with 14 covered hoppers.
Out of these last 14 hoppers, the first 10 looked like PD 3000 pressurized hoppers. The three bay ones with the pipes on the bottom. I was too far away to get any road numbers, but I wonder if maybe some cement snuck up here while we weren't looking. Or if some other dry goods did.

AANscaleRunner
Railroadfan...fan

Back into Cadillac at 1700 with 1 coke hopper, 1 empty center beam, 7 wood chip hoppers, 22 tanks and 2 covered hoppers.

AANscaleRunner
Railroadfan...fan

390 and 385 leaving Cadillac for Clare at 0905 with 7 wood chip hoppers and 6 tanks.

MIGN-Bill
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MIGN-Bill »

Who ships or unloads the wood chip hoppers in Cadillac?

AANscaleRunner
Railroadfan...fan

MIGN-Bill wrote:Who ships or unloads the wood chip hoppers in Cadillac?
Wood chips are loaded and shipped out of McBain by Biewer lumber.

AANscaleRunner
Railroadfan...fan

399 and 396 returned to Cadillac at 1825 with 2 covered hoppers, 2 tanks, 1 pole load, 1 gondola and 2 tanks.

Gondola road # DJJX 950876

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

This traffic is supposed to average around 30-40 cars per month and goes to a mill in WI (last I heard). However, when the new mill in Grayling opens these chips will probably be diverted to there and will go by truck.
AANscaleRunner wrote:
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

TC Man
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by TC Man »

AANscaleRunner wrote:399 and 396 returned to Cadillac at 1825 with 2 covered hoppers, 2 tanks, 1 pole load, 1 gondola and 2 tanks.

Gondola road # DJJX 950876
3rd gondola this week for Beacon in TC? :D

MIGN-Bill
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MIGN-Bill »

AARR wrote:This traffic is supposed to average around 30-40 cars per month and goes to a mill in WI (last I heard). However, when the new mill in Grayling opens these chips will probably be diverted to there and will go by truck.
AANscaleRunner wrote:
So does this mean that GLC will head south and switch McBain, then bring loads back to Cadillac and then send them south again later?
If they do this, do they also switch other areas in a similar manner during same "turn"?
I don't see a run around track in McBain - is there somewhere else nearby to run around for trip back?

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Usually if there are southbound cars from McBain they'll continue to Clare and set off then head back to Cadillac.

There isn't a run around track in McBain. There is one in Marion.

McBain has two customers with southbound switches and one with a northbound switch.
MIGN-Bill wrote:So does this mean that GLC will head south and switch McBain, then bring loads back to Cadillac and then send them south again later?
If they do this, do they also switch other areas in a similar manner during same "turn"?
I don't see a run around track in McBain - is there somewhere else nearby to run around for trip back?