NS Peavine talk

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
northstar16
Railroadfan...fan

Re: NS Peavine talk

Unread post by northstar16 »

Question? What was the last time a rail grinder was on the Peavine? I would think that since the CET is using the rails three days a week the rails may need to be grinded. I have never seen a grinder on the Peavine since NS ran the line.

h2466
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by h2466 »

northstar16 wrote:Question? What was the last time a rail grinder was on the Peavine? I would think that since the CET is using the rails three days a week the rails may need to be grinded. I have never seen a grinder on the Peavine since NS ran the line.
I have no idea when the last time a rail grinder was used, but I don't think the rail would be in need of grinding. 3 times a week will do little wear on the rail. Ken.

northstar16
Railroadfan...fan

I have noticed that the tracks are starting to show some rust down here at Clare Yard the last few days. Not much moving in the yard the last two weeks. Haven't seen many empty tankers the last two weeks coming from the west. Looks like business must be slowing down on storage.

TC Man
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by TC Man »

northstar16 wrote:I have noticed that the tracks are starting to show some rust down here at Clare Yard the last few days. Not much moving in the yard the last two weeks. Haven't seen many empty tankers the last two weeks coming from the west. Looks like business must be slowing down on storage.

Man, and here I was trying to see how long we could go without this thread being updated! :lol:
CEO of the Waving Institute- teaching great wave forms.

Muleskinner
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Muleskinner »

TC Man wrote:
northstar16 wrote:I have noticed that the tracks are starting to show some rust down here at Clare Yard the last few days. Not much moving in the yard the last two weeks. Haven't seen many empty tankers the last two weeks coming from the west. Looks like business must be slowing down on storage.

Man, and here I was trying to see how long we could go without this thread being updated! :lol:
Man, and here I was trying to see how long you wouldn't be an ass on this thread. (just over 2 months.) :lol:

TC Man
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by TC Man »

Muleskinner wrote:
TC Man wrote:

Man, and here I was trying to see how long you wouldn't be an ass on this thread. (just over 2 months.) :lol:
Are you sure it's been 2 months? I don't recall being an arse on this thread previously. :roll:
CEO of the Waving Institute- teaching great wave forms.

heypal6878
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by heypal6878 »

Midland back In his old form. What is going on over on the I&O? Seen many MOW guys working on the tracks of late. Maybe its time to spend some money on the tracks before there is a accident. Running four trains a day plenty of rattling of the rails over time things start to go bad. Peavine rails are in good shape!

northstar16
Railroadfan...fan

The Peavine is dead today will pick up on Tuesday have seen several cars on the side tracks today ready to go east. Several fresh tankers sitting in the yard as well will be going east later this week. Looks like another good year coming up for the CCET. Just think five years ago this line looked to be dead when NS pulled out. Many on here said the Peavine was finished rails will be taken up for scrap. Only one business to cater to.

Today the CCET has pick up a few more businesses and is doing very well on the storage side of the business making enough money to continue to run on the line. Good to see activity on this old well known line that some thought was long gone.

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by midland sub »

Les please check who posted what before assuming it's someone.

Comparing the CCET and I&O is like comparing a grape to an orange. Both are some sort of a fruit but entirely different things.

heypal6878 wrote:Midland back In his old form. What is going on over on the I&O? Seen many MOW guys working on the tracks of late. Maybe its time to spend some money on the tracks before there is a accident. Running four trains a day plenty of rattling of the rails over time things start to go bad. Peavine rails are in good shape!

Paw95
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Paw95 »

A person told me that the state of Ohio was wanting to make the 104 crossing more straight and better. This maybe one of the reasons NS cleaned up the crossing back in June. They removed the two block signals and poles and crossing lights. They will be most likely removing the rail for the upcoming project. Not sure it it will be replaced back in. One NS man was wanting to high rail it again before they start severing it up. I’ll be looking at odot sight for upcoming construction bids. The state was doing a lot of surveying in the area last year. So something is going to happen. They truck crane is still on the spur at west Portsmouth at about MP 102.

heypal6878
Railroadfan...fan

So Paw are how much of a section are they taking out? Is this before the bridge at Vera or before? Since that track hasn't been used in years I don't see them putting it back in unless there is something in the works. I haven't seen any news on this construction from ODOT but if the State is doing it think the rails won't go back down.

MSchwiebert
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MSchwiebert »

http://www.dot.state.oh.us/districts/D0 ... vered).pdf

I didn't see anything in their list, which goes out to 2022, but I'm not as familiar with the area as some other folks. :D

heypal6878
Railroadfan...fan

I can't get that link to work but I have looked on the site and don't see anything. Will do a little more searching tonight. I bet Midland Sub knows something. He has all the scoop!

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

ODOT probably plans on paving 104 sometime this year and with the line being out of service they will tearing out the crossing with the understanding they are responsible for putting it back in if needed. They did the same on the Ohio South Central at Oak Hill on that out of service section.

redcrumbox
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by redcrumbox »

midland sub wrote:ODOT probably plans on paving 104 sometime this year and with the line being out of service they will tearing out the crossing with the understanding they are responsible for putting it back in if needed. They did the same on the Ohio South Central at Oak Hill on that out of service section.
IIRC, a young woman smashed into the old code line pole there after years of abandonment next to the road and died. There was concern then another accident would happen with a vehicle rear ending a stopped school bus. After that the Exempt signs went up. That part of the withering peavine is dead anyways.
Old EMD’s are the gift that keeps on giving.

heypal6878
Railroadfan...fan

I thought Midland Sub would have the answer and a darn good one at that. The east section of the Peavine is dead and won't come back to life in the future. It costs too much money to have the bridge a Vera replaced or even fixed at this point. The State won't take on the project. Plus with the unstable tracks and washouts this would be a multimillion dollar project one that nobody wants to fund. From what I have heard from good sources the only way that entire line would ever open again is if a major automobile manufacture or major company would build on property along the Peavine and sign a waver that they would transport on rail east to west. This is highly unlikely!

heypal6878
Railroadfan...fan

The latest information I have on the Peavine as of 1/26 is the far east end of the Peavine the Vera bridge and anything past the 80 mile marker east will be officially terminated. There will be no more rail operations on that side of the Peavine. I did receive this information from a creditable source. Some of the rail will be pulled in the next year eventually all of it will be pulled up. Any remaining signals will be taken down used for scrap.

The reasons for the closure are as follows:
The bridge a Vera is not structurally sound. The repairs on the bridge alone will cost millions of dollars to meet code
Tracks past the bridge to the 80 mile marker most are in very bad shape, from washouts, and vandalism.
Some of the rail from the 80 to 84 mile marker is still fine yet repairs would need to be made for the tracks to remain open. Recommended only for empty storage of railcars.

The rail from the 80 mile marker and west will stay open until further notice. The CCET continues to maintain the tracks up to Clare Yard. NS will continue to be the transloader for the CCET

Muleskinner
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Muleskinner »

heypal6878 wrote:The latest information I have on the Peavine as of 1/26 is the far east end of the Peavine the Vera bridge and anything past the 80 mile marker east will be officially terminated. There will be no more rail operations on that side of the Peavine. I did receive this information from a creditable source. Some of the rail will be pulled in the next year eventually all of it will be pulled up. Any remaining signals will be taken down used for scrap.

The reasons for the closure are as follows:
The bridge a Vera is not structurally sound. The repairs on the bridge alone will cost millions of dollars to meet code
Tracks past the bridge to the 80 mile marker most are in very bad shape, from washouts, and vandalism.
Some of the rail from the 80 to 84 mile marker is still fine yet repairs would need to be made for the tracks to remain open. Recommended only for empty storage of railcars.

The rail from the 80 mile marker and west will stay open until further notice. The CCET continues to maintain the tracks up to Clare Yard. NS will continue to be the transloader for the CCET
Here comes the bike trail. I would give it ten years & there will be a bike trail to Portsmouth probably starting in Rardon Ohio.

northstar16
Railroadfan...fan

Yes hearing the same thing here from NS crew on Friday that stopped down at the golden arches for some breakfast. Looks like the rail way out east is done for. NS has no interest to connecting to Portsmouth and they don't want the rail anymore as there is not enough traffic on it to make they even look at the Peavine. The CCET is running just enough to keep them afloat but they are still making plenty of money on storage.

I like the NS crew as they kid around about the CCET but they said at least they are moving more than we did back a few years ago. Many thought the Peavine was a deal rail some of the NS guys lost money on bets thinking the rail would be discontinued for good. The crew said on Friday if the Ag would ever close or decided to more their stuff by truck instead of rail then the Peavine would mostly go in the tank. They said that the CCET has brought on some new customers but not enough freight to carry them over the hump if they ever lose the Ag. Right now storage is a big revenue booster for them but tankers are being put back in operation more than every before. I noticed that there hasn't been as many tankers on the sidings down there as in the summer months so things may be slowing up on the storage side.

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Amazing everything I said four years ago was true....

Actually there’s quite a few things in the works for them. Now there’s a couple of people in control that are more than capable of growing and developing new traffic than foaming over pointless stuff. The next 12 months should be interesting