Michigan Rail Business news

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
KenB
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Michigan Rail Business news

Unread post by KenB »

When Kroger was in Livonia, MI they had many spurs off the C&O until they finally had only one in the building. Received a few cars of potoes than this final track was removed. Kroger moved out, warehouse removed and a Minards was built there, no rail of course.

bctrainfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bctrainfan »

For the first time that I am aware, ReConserve (formerly Endres) on Angell St in Battle Creek has 2 CH's on the spur in their facility. They extended the spur from the WestRock (former RockTenn) paper mill and built a railcar loading building at least a year ago, but I don't believe it was never used. I was told that a contract with a new customer down south had fallen through after construction had begun. They recycle food waste from cereal makers and such for livestock feed and possibly other products. Hopefully a sign of added business for NS on the Michigan Line!

atrainguy60
Saginaw Sub Foamer

Unread post by atrainguy60 »

Foxconn is going to build a plant for the manufacturing and research of autonomous cars in Michigan.

https://www.usnews.com/news/articles/20 ... gan-report

This one's from a couple months ago, so I'm not sure if these sites are still being considered. If not, I kinda wonder if this is that mysterious "Project Tim" coming to Durand soon.

http://www.theoaklandpress.com/general- ... ring-plant

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

I wonder if eventually autonomous cars will be transported by autonomous trains :lol:
atrainguy60 wrote:Foxconn is going to build a plant for the manufacturing and research of autonomous cars in Michigan.

https://www.usnews.com/news/articles/20 ... gan-report

This one's from a couple months ago, so I'm not sure if these sites are still being considered. If not, I kinda wonder if this is that mysterious "Project Tim" coming to Durand soon.

http://www.theoaklandpress.com/general- ... ring-plant
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

atrainguy60
Saginaw Sub Foamer

Unread post by atrainguy60 »

Some more business popping up in Michigan, one of which is an auto seating manufacturer who's gonna settle down in the old Buick City in Flint. There's also an expansion at a Penske location in Romulus. Any of this mean possible rail service?

http://www.13abc.com/content/news/Michi ... 20533.html

redside20
i don't give a fark about your PM

Unread post by redside20 »

Rail spur being constructed at the Ceres Grain Elevator for Marquette Rail in White Cloud.

http://www.mlive.com/business/west-mich ... iver_index
Exit stage left

David Lang
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by David Lang »

The large parcel of land that used to be a large Paper Mill just East of Gearhart Yard in Kalamazoo has now been cleared.

I just drove by there today and all the small trees that were growing on the property have now all been cleared and neatly stacked. There are a few pieces of construction equipment on site as well.

There was some talk several months back about a stone yard going in there and being served by rail. Not sure about that but there is definitely activity going on! It will be interesting to see what further developments do occur and I will update when I see more.

David Lang

Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

Unread post by Raildudes dad »

Property shows to be owned by Georgia-Pacific

Waddy
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Waddy »

David Lang wrote:The large parcel of land that used to be a large Paper Mill just East of Gearhart Yard in Kalamazoo has now been cleared.

I just drove by there today and all the small trees that were growing on the property have now all been cleared and neatly stacked. There are a few pieces of construction equipment on site as well.

There was some talk several months back about a stone yard going in there and being served by rail. Not sure about that but there is definitely activity going on! It will be interesting to see what further developments do occur and I will update when I see more.

David Lang
Yes stone unloading going in. With the potential for 40+ trains a year.

MiRailProductions
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MiRailProductions »

atrainguy60 wrote:Some more business popping up in Michigan, one of which is an auto seating manufacturer who's gonna settle down in the old Buick City in Flint. There's also an expansion at a Penske location in Romulus. Any of this mean possible rail service?

For the seating manufacturer, this could absolutely mean rail business. Looking at google maps, the tracks are right there,abandoned but still there, and by the looks of it there are some abandoned spurs that they could reactivate too.
"If you are ever chasing trains, you're bound to end up on a 2-lane, double-striped road with a slow poke in front of you." -Danny Harmon
YouTube - Michigan Rail Productions
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPPgdn ... wZHDIyfk_Q

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

In both cases it depends where the product will arrive from/go to. Although it is possible the companies will use direct rail it's unlikely. If they do it will probably be intermodal.
MiRailProductions wrote:
atrainguy60 wrote:Some more business popping up in Michigan, one of which is an auto seating manufacturer who's gonna settle down in the old Buick City in Flint. There's also an expansion at a Penske location in Romulus. Any of this mean possible rail service?

For the seating manufacturer, this could absolutely mean rail business. Looking at google maps, the tracks are right there,abandoned but still there, and by the looks of it there are some abandoned spurs that they could reactivate too.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

David Lang
Railroadfan...fan

I have 3 questions:

1. Does anyone have an update on the redevelopment of the former Ethanol plant in Ithaca? I believe someone said something about a Soybean Processing Plant. How much traffic will it generate?

2. What is the latest with the one or two track connection at the Cargill Animal Feed Mill in Owosso? I'm not seeing anything yet on my maps app.

3. What is the latest with the new Arauco Particle Board plant in near Grayling? It looks like land has been cleared, but don't see any rail spur(s) yet on maps.

Thanks.

David Lang

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

David Lang wrote: 3. What is the latest with the new Arauco Particle Board plant in near Grayling? It looks like land has been cleared, but don't see any rail spur(s) yet on maps.
Project is well underway, with plenty of track on the ground and buildings sprouting up
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

jimnorthwood
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by jimnorthwood »

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

AA has been transloading oil on the engine plant spur lead in Dundee. Usually in blocks of six.

David Lang
Railroadfan...fan

Has anyone heard anything more about people going back to work at the Yuma Sand facility? This was posed a while back now.

Thanks.

David Lang

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Elba Steve posted at MichiganRailroads.com that a liquid feed plant will be constructed in Carrollton on the site of the former Michigan Sugar plant.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

RandallG reports at MichiganRailroads.com that the ex-Metro Aluminum, née-Ford Vinyl in Mt. Clemens is receiving 60’ box cars. I was told it’s FCA business and should be a fair amount of carloads.

penn central
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by penn central »

This past week i looked at a copy of the Owosso Argus Press newspaper it said in there that the new Cargill animal feed plant is supposed to open in April, The plant is on the north side of Owosso on the old NYC, PC Line that went to Saginaw and Bay City. Witch is now the GLC.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

The plant is projecting 15-20 cars a week of inbound feedstock ingredients. We'll see...
penn central wrote:This past week i looked at a copy of the Owosso Argus Press newspaper it said in there that the new Cargill animal feed plant is supposed to open in April, The plant is on the north side of Owosso on the old NYC, PC Line that went to Saginaw and Bay City. Witch is now the GLC.