Great Lakes Central Updates December 2017

Daily whereabouts of train locations along with sightings for heads ups to other railfans.
MiRailProductions
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Great Lakes Central Updates December 2017

Unread post by MiRailProductions »

TC Man wrote: I would not say that's what has been happening in TC in the last few weeks- there were in TC twice last week. :)
Ok. Changed the number to about 'once per week'. 10 days is a bit much. :oops:
"If you are ever chasing trains, you're bound to end up on a 2-lane, double-striped road with a slow poke in front of you." -Danny Harmon
YouTube - Michigan Rail Productions
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPPgdn ... wZHDIyfk_Q

AANscaleRunner
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by AANscaleRunner »

Returned to Cadillac at 1640 with what looked like 11 covered hoppers, 1 wood chip hopper, 4 tanks, 1 loaded centerbeam, 2 tanks, 1 covered hopper and 6 tanks. Again, snowing like crazy so not sure on some of the cars, but definite on the centerbeam.

AANscaleRunner
Railroadfan...fan

Leaving Cadillac for Clare at 1130.

Last edited by AANscaleRunner on Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AANscaleRunner
Railroadfan...fan

385 and 396 return to Cadillac at 1620 with 12 tie loads, 4 coke hoppers, 10 tie loads, 1 empty centerbeam, 1 covered hopper and 1 tank.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

I like the wide vision of this video, AANR :)
AANscaleRunner wrote:Leaving Cadillac for Clare at 1130.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

AANscaleRunner
Railroadfan...fan

Heard them head north out of Cadillac shortly after 1000.

TC Man
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by TC Man »

AANscaleRunner wrote:Heard them head north out of Cadillac shortly after 1000.

They are approaching Acme at this moment headed to Amerhart, looks like 3 loads.

12:40 p.m. the arrived at Amerhart. that's very impressive leaving Cadillac just after 10
CEO of the Waving Institute- teaching great wave forms.

James Sofonia
Grand Traverse Dinner Train 1996

Unread post by James Sofonia »

As of 1325 they haven't been down the Grawn branch yet. I guessing they will be after those gons at Beacon Salvage. I'm sitting at a tire store on Cass Rd. near the tracks so maybe I'll catch them.

TC Man
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by TC Man »

Pixl wrote:As of 1325 they haven't been down the Grawn branch yet. I guessing they will be after those gons at Beacon Salvage. I'm sitting at a tire store on Cass Rd. near the tracks so maybe I'll catch them.
Should be to you any time Pixl!

James Sofonia

TC Man wrote: Should be to you any time Pixl!
Well they snuck past me. I left the tire store and checked at Beacon next door. The gons were gone and I did not see them anywhere near. So next I gassed up at Airport Holiday. I couldn't see but heard the horns coming off the Grawn branch about 1410. I think they may have gone all the way to the Grawn run around. Anybody get to see them?

TC Man
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by TC Man »

Pixl wrote:
Well they snuck past me. I left the tire store and checked at Beacon next door. The gons were gone and I did not see them anywhere near. So next I gassed up at Airport Holiday. I couldn't see but heard the horns coming off the Grawn branch about 1410. I think they may have gone all the way to the Grawn run around. Anybody get to see them?

My wife texted about 2pm saying a train just went through the South Airport Grawn branch crossing (she drove to her destination and texted, so train would have gone through about 1:45pm or earlier. She just texted a few minutes ago saying she can hear the train (she's over hear Hammond/Keystone). Not sure why they would have gone to Grawn, they would have only had one empty from Amerhart and then just the two loads from Beacon, unless they took the empty all the way to Grawn to run around instead of pushing it to Beacon or leaving it in town and run out to Beacon. In the past, that push everything to Beacon, including any lumber loads/empties. But with the snow banks at crossings, maybe they wanted a loco first to cut the crossings.

TC Man
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by TC Man »

TC Man wrote:
Pixl wrote:

My wife texted about 2pm saying a train just went through the South Airport Grawn branch crossing (she drove to her destination and texted, so train would have gone through about 1:45pm or earlier. She just texted a few minutes ago saying she can hear the train (she's over hear Hammond/Keystone). Not sure why they would have gone to Grawn, they would have only had one empty from Amerhart and then just the two loads from Beacon, unless they took the empty all the way to Grawn to run around instead of pushing it to Beacon or leaving it in town and run out to Beacon. In the past, that push everything to Beacon, including any lumber loads/empties. But with the snow banks at crossings, maybe they wanted a loco first to cut the crossings.

It did not go past Beacon. Just checked.

James Sofonia

TC Man wrote:
I Could guess you are right. They must have left the centerbeam at the TC station as would not think they would go across Airport rd. pushing a car in front.

TC Man
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by TC Man »

Pixl wrote:
TC Man wrote:
I Could guess you are right. They must have left the centerbeam at the TC station as would not think they would go across Airport rd. pushing a car in front.

Actually the 2 times I watched, they do push from the depot to Beacon. One time they pushed 3 gondolas and 2 lumber loads (I posted pics here), and the other time they pushed 2 gondolas and 2 lumber loads. Conductor riding the lead car.

KC8RBK
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by KC8RBK »

Nb just south of mission rd 1258

AANscaleRunner
Railroadfan...fan

They were still switching North Yard and the feed facility at 1000 this morning. Looked like it would be a long train to Clare today. They have not returned to Cadillac as of 1725.

Update: Heard them move from Selma Yard to engine house around 1840.
Last edited by AANscaleRunner on Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Is this Mt. Pleasant?
KC8RBK wrote:Nb just south of mission rd 1258
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

AANscaleRunner
Railroadfan...fan

396, 385 and 397 leaving Cadillac for Clare at 1000 with 1 tie load, 2 pole loads, 1 idler, 1 pole load, 1 idler, 2 pole loads, 1 wood chip hopper and 7 tanks.

TC Man
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by TC Man »

AANscaleRunner wrote:396, 385 and 397 leaving Cadillac for Clare at 1000 with 1 tie load, 2 pole loads, 1 idler, 1 pole load, 1 idler, 2 pole loads, 1 wood chip hopper and 7 tanks.

I noticed there have been no cement loads in at least a couple months. Summer only business or didn't work out perhaps?

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Cement is slowing down but it seems they still get a few cars each week
TC Man wrote:
AANscaleRunner wrote:396, 385 and 397 leaving Cadillac for Clare at 1000 with 1 tie load, 2 pole loads, 1 idler, 1 pole load, 1 idler, 2 pole loads, 1 wood chip hopper and 7 tanks.
I noticed there have been no cement loads in at least a couple months. Summer only business or didn't work out perhaps?