An Awesome Day Trackside! 11/22/2017

Give us a run down of what you saw, post pictures if you'd like...any info is welcome.

An Awesome Day Trackside! 11/22/2017

Unread postby Tier4GEVO » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:13 pm

NS 289 rushes west through Romulus, MI on a brisk November morning.
ImageAll Clear by Railfan1999, on Flickr

CSX Q132-21 has just entered the Lincoln Secondary. A pair of UP GE's haul this long string of stacks towards Detroit.
ImageRounding the Curve by Railfan1999, on Flickr

After a long time at TDSI in New Boston, CSX Q231-21 heads south through Carleton, MI with a fresh crew.
ImageNew Crew, New Racks by Railfan1999, on Flickr

IRTX & NBRS engines are seen at TDSI in New Boston.
ImageTDSI Goodies by Railfan1999, on Flickr

A loaded down Q507-22 heads south through Romulus, MI.
ImageHeavy by Railfan1999, on Flickr

An inclusion of GTW during a glimpse of CN's Flat Rock Yard.
ImageGTW Inspiration by Railfan1999, on Flickr

GTW 5817 and GTW 4934 shove a cut of cars out of CN's Flat Rock Yard before going in reverse.
ImageGTW + GTW by Railfan1999, on Flickr

NS 331 consisted of an SD60I and High Hood GP38-2 sandwiching NS SD70ACe 1066, the New York Central heritage unit. 331 is seen crossing over at Mill Street in Ecorse, Michigan. Pic 1/2.
ImageAn EMD Trio of Awesomeness by Railfan1999, on Flickr

NS 331 consisted of an SD60I and High Hood GP38-2 sandwiching NS SD70ACe 1066, the New York Central heritage unit. 331 is seen crossing over at Mill Street in Ecorse, Michigan. Pic 2/2.
ImageAn EMD Trio of Awesomeness by Railfan1999, on Flickr

All shots with a Panasonic GX85, with a 14-140mm and 100-300mm lens.
User avatar
Tier4GEVO
Railroadfan...fan
 
Posts: 1113
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:43 pm
Location: Michigan

Re: An Awesome Day Trackside! 11/22/2017

Unread postby Wabash1070 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:59 pm

Excellent shots! :D
I'm here
User avatar
Wabash1070
Railroadfan...fan
 
Posts: 458
Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:57 pm
Location: Williamston Michigan

Re: An Awesome Day Trackside! 11/22/2017

Unread postby hoborich » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:46 pm

You must have really hustled across that track at Mill street. :shock:
"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a TV commercial is right for you".
hoborich
Railroadfan...fan
 
Posts: 2942
Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:05 am
Location: Northern Michigan

Re: An Awesome Day Trackside! 11/22/2017

Unread postby Tier4GEVO » Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:28 pm

Wabash1070 wrote:Excellent shots! :D


Thanks!
User avatar
Tier4GEVO
Railroadfan...fan
 
Posts: 1113
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:43 pm
Location: Michigan

Re: An Awesome Day Trackside! 11/22/2017

Unread postby Tier4GEVO » Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:29 pm

hoborich wrote:You must have really hustled across that track at Mill street. :shock:


The PTI van had to bring the conductor from Rouge to Mill Street so they were going at a creep. Had about 45 seconds between the transfer and crossing.
User avatar
Tier4GEVO
Railroadfan...fan
 
Posts: 1113
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:43 pm
Location: Michigan

Re: An Awesome Day Trackside! 11/22/2017

Unread postby hoborich » Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:25 pm

I used to sit at Mill street now and then. And Emmons, and Oak street.
"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a TV commercial is right for you".
hoborich
Railroadfan...fan
 
Posts: 2942
Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:05 am
Location: Northern Michigan

Re: An Awesome Day Trackside! 11/22/2017

Unread postby Tier4GEVO » Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:30 pm

hoborich wrote:I used to sit at Mill street now and then. And Emmons, and Oak street.


Nice. Yeah, whenever I do go to Downriver it's usually Oak Street just cause it's a popular meetup spot for friends, but when I prefer a unique shot or want to go to a quieter area Mill is just up the road. However, I try not to go too far north of Mill. Once you get near Visger in River Rouge it feels pretty sketchy there. Pleasant St seems OK as not many people are nearby.
User avatar
Tier4GEVO
Railroadfan...fan
 
Posts: 1113
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:43 pm
Location: Michigan

Re: An Awesome Day Trackside! 11/22/2017

Unread postby ConrailDetr​oit » Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:34 am

What makes Visger Rd in River Rouge feel pretty sketchy?
ConrailDetr​oit
Railroadfan...fan
 
Posts: 4696
Joined: Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:04 pm
Location: Detroit

Re: An Awesome Day Trackside! 11/22/2017

Unread postby Tier4GEVO » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:07 am

ConrailDetr​oit wrote:What makes Visger Rd in River Rouge feel pretty sketchy?


Crime rate of area and saw drug dealing while trackside. Just don't feel very comfortable there.
User avatar
Tier4GEVO
Railroadfan...fan
 
Posts: 1113
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:43 pm
Location: Michigan

Re: An Awesome Day Trackside! 11/22/2017

Unread postby hoborich » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:51 pm

I got panhandled at Visger st years ago. If I stop at all, I keep an eye on my rearview mirror.
"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a TV commercial is right for you".
hoborich
Railroadfan...fan
 
Posts: 2942
Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:05 am
Location: Northern Michigan

Re: An Awesome Day Trackside! 11/22/2017

Unread postby ConrailDetr​oit » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:02 am

Tier4GEVO wrote:
ConrailDetr​oit wrote:What makes Visger Rd in River Rouge feel pretty sketchy?


Crime rate of area and saw drug dealing while trackside. Just don't feel very comfortable there.


Did you know or did you assume they were dealing drugs?

Panhandling seems to be more common in Downtown Detroit than in River Rouge, but everyone has their own experiences.
ConrailDetr​oit
Railroadfan...fan
 
Posts: 4696
Joined: Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:04 pm
Location: Detroit

Re: An Awesome Day Trackside! 11/22/2017

Unread postby hoborich » Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:54 pm

Conrail Detroit wrote:
Did you know or did you assume they were dealing drugs?


When we see a couple black people looking furtively around and money and some kind of stuff changing hands, we just assume they are dealing drugs. :lol:
So we lock our doors, don't make eye contact, and hurry off to a white area to watch trains! :roll:

Panhandling seems to be more common in Downtown Detroit than in River Rouge, but everyone has their own experiences.

River Rouge is like a small Detroit. Just doesn't get as much press coverage.

Google is your friend Conrail!
In regards to violent offenses, River Rouge, MI has a rate that is 130% higher than the Michigan average; compared to the United States, it is 173% higher than. Looking at crimes involving property, River Rouge, MI is 30% higher than its state's mean, and 1% higher than the country's average.
River Rouge, MI Crime Rates & Statistics - AreaVibes
http://www.areavibes.com/river+rouge-mi/crime/

River Rouge, Michigan, violent crime, on a scale from 1 (low crime) to 100, is 76. Violent crime is composed of four offenses: murder and nonnegligent manslaughter, forcible rape, robbery, and aggravated assault. The US average is 31.1. :shock:
"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a TV commercial is right for you".
hoborich
Railroadfan...fan
 
Posts: 2942
Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:05 am
Location: Northern Michigan

Re: An Awesome Day Trackside! 11/22/2017

Unread postby ConrailDetr​oit » Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:50 am

Hoborich, the truth and assumptions of what the truth is are two different things. I currently work in River Rouge and deal with the riff raff every day. It is the hood and like you say like a mini Detroit, I fully agree and that is only the reality as the stats show. I would place a bet that they were dealing drugs. Conrail crews working the south end of Rouge Yard have made the same observations. However, the fact that you made a prejudiced statement and brought race into the discussion and assumed something because of the person's race is racial profiling. While common knowledge of any Metro area is urban minority areas correlates with more crime, to assume something about someone because of their race is wrong.
ConrailDetr​oit
Railroadfan...fan
 
Posts: 4696
Joined: Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:04 pm
Location: Detroit

Re: An Awesome Day Trackside! 11/22/2017

Unread postby hoborich » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:51 pm

to assume something about someone because of their race is wrong.

To assume two black guys in River Rouge,looking furtively around and exchanging money for something on the street is a drug deal,is right on the mark.

No one is born prejudiced. I wasn't. We get that way from our life experiences. I watched a race of people destroy the former fifth largest city in America. I watched a race of prejudiced people keep Coleman Young in power for 20 years, while he and his cronies looted the city and told the white people to "hit 8 mile road". I watched as a race of people burned their city and their neighborhoods to the ground. I watched as the Black Panthers conducted military drills in the middle of Mack Avenue back in the late 60s after the riots. I watched as a race of people destroyed the nations oldest state fair, the Michigan State Fair, as hoards of young blacks crashed the gates and climbed the fences and ran around the fairgrounds assaulting fairgoers and vendors, robbing and dumping over displays and food stands. Only half of them came back the following year. I lived in Detroit for 47 years, and was the only white guy left in my neighborhood. I watched as squatters moved into my neighbors old house next door. I watched as the neighborhood "hookup guy" drove up and took ladders off the top of his box truck and put on a white hard hat and safety vest and hooked up their free electricity, two hours after DTE had cut off the power. I watched the idiots walking their pit bulls with large logging chains around their necks to toughen them up. We rolled up to many homes engulfed in flames caused by illegal hookups by stupid people who got the wires crossed and turned the entire house wiring red hot like a toaster. So I suppose after all these years I am a bit prejudiced. But I am still able to distinguish between decent black people and drug dealers. But I have to say, a lot of decent black people still elected and supported Coleman Young, Kwame Kilpatrick, Monica Conyers, Barbara Rose Collins, Judge Jimmy Del Rio, and a host of other racist incompetent black politicians. And much of this occurred before you were born.
And don't get me going bout the racist blacks in DC who re elected Marion Berry after he got out of prison. Prejudice is not limited to white people.
"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a TV commercial is right for you".
hoborich
Railroadfan...fan
 
Posts: 2942
Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:05 am
Location: Northern Michigan

Re: An Awesome Day Trackside! 11/22/2017

Unread postby ConrailDetr​oit » Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:28 pm

To assume two black guys in River Rouge,looking furtively around and exchanging money for something on the street is a drug deal,is right on the mark.


Ok, lets call this "practical sense". Common sense is limited to those who share common knowledge, beliefs, and norms. For example, common sense in the railfan and railroad community would be knowing what UP stands for in this case being Union Pacific. A non railroad person in Michigan may say Upper Penninsula. A non railfan in another state may say UP stands for something totally different.

Two people of any color in River Rouge looking furtively around and exchanging money for something on the street is likely a drug deal. And given the demographics and economic conditions of River Rouge being mostly black and low income in the case it makes sense. Would you still assume a drug deal if the same activity was happening by someone of any race?

But I am still able to distinguish between decent black people and drug dealers.


How so? How about the more successful drug dealers that do a great job at covering up their activities? How can those people (of any color) and decent people be distinguished? Could it simply be their demeanor that makes that assumption?
ConrailDetr​oit
Railroadfan...fan
 
Posts: 4696
Joined: Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:04 pm
Location: Detroit

Re: An Awesome Day Trackside! 11/22/2017

Unread postby M.D.Bentley » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:57 pm

IF you guys want drugs, just go to the car wash by the tracks :lol:

Seriously, I have worked that area at night ! ( NOT a street walker, legs gave out years ago ) I heard less gun shots at night in Rouge than I do now in my own neighborhood. :shock:
User avatar
M.D.Bentley
Railroadfan...fan
 
Posts: 2388
Joined: Sat May 07, 2005 3:41 pm
Location: Downriver

Re: An Awesome Day Trackside! 11/22/2017

Unread postby hoborich » Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:27 pm

Where yo neighborhood? :shock:

The first time I heard automatic weapons in my neighborhood, it sent a chill down my back. You get used to it after awhile. I finally copped an attitude that I didn't give a chit as long as they weren't shooting at me. About a month after I moved out, they found a body on the sidewalk one block over from where I lived.
"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a TV commercial is right for you".
hoborich
Railroadfan...fan
 
Posts: 2942
Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:05 am
Location: Northern Michigan

Re: An Awesome Day Trackside! 11/22/2017

Unread postby Tier4GEVO » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:43 am

Never meant for this to spark into a race debate. I bluntly answered the question. I saw drug dealings and felt uncomfortable. They could have been of ANY race and I would feel uncomfortable.
User avatar
Tier4GEVO
Railroadfan...fan
 
Posts: 1113
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:43 pm
Location: Michigan

Re: An Awesome Day Trackside! 11/22/2017

Unread postby M.D.Bentley » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:39 am

Thank you for participating in this social experiment. Carry on......................................... :D
User avatar
M.D.Bentley
Railroadfan...fan
 
Posts: 2388
Joined: Sat May 07, 2005 3:41 pm
Location: Downriver

Re: An Awesome Day Trackside! 11/22/2017

Unread postby hoborich » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:09 pm

Youuuuurrrrr welcome! :lol:
"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a TV commercial is right for you".
hoborich
Railroadfan...fan
 
Posts: 2942
Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:05 am
Location: Northern Michigan


Return to Trip Reports

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

x