Great Lakes Central Updates September 2017

Daily whereabouts of train locations along with sightings for heads ups to other railfans.
AANscaleRunner
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Great Lakes Central Updates September 2017

Unread post by AANscaleRunner »

399 and 395 return to Cadillac at 1530 with 2 tanks, 3 covered hoppers, 3 coke, 11 tie, 1 cement, 1 tank, 1 wood chip and 1 tank.

AANscaleRunner
Railroadfan...fan

Heard them on the north end around 0900. Assuming northbound out of Cadillac today.

AANscaleRunner
Railroadfan...fan

Left Cadillac for Clare shortly after 1000.

Last edited by AANscaleRunner on Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

csx801
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by csx801 »

Great Lakes Central north through Mount Pleasant 1138. They almost got a college student wandering out on the track while distracted by their phone. I've never seen someone's face turn so white

GLC 392 leading
GLC 393

2 hoppers
5 plastics hoppers
2 pole loads
1 idler
1 pole load
1 idler
1 pole load
5 wood chip hoppers
14 hoppers
1 Lumber load
1 tank
2 lumber loads

36 total

csx801
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by csx801 »

Great Lakes Central south through Mount Pleasant 1505

GLC 395 Leading
GLC 399

1 hopper
9 empty tie gons
1 cement hopper
2 plastics hoppers
13 cement hoppers
3 plastics hoppers
1 tank
1 plastics hopper
1 pole flat
1 wood chip hopper
9 LPG tanks
1 Plastics hopper

43 total

392 and 393 must be headed towards Cadillac

AANscaleRunner
Railroadfan...fan

392 and 393 rolled into Cadillac around 1720.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Thanks for posting your videos AANR. I love the sound of a slow moving train over jointed rail :D
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Todd_F
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Todd_F »

Thanks for the videos and confirmation on the great news that 393 is finally up north again! Maybe he'll be cornered up there for a while - I better start planning another day trip soon!
You know that little voice in your head? My wife says I lack that.

AANscaleRunner
Railroadfan...fan

Headed out of Cadillac towards McBain at 0815. Returned at 0910 with 10 or 11 covered hoppers, 1 loaded centerbeam, 1 tank and 2 loaded centerbeams.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Less than an hour turnaround? That's fast. And it seems they picked up cars set out by the Owosso turn. Did they go to Clare?
AANscaleRunner wrote:Headed out of Cadillac towards McBain at 0815. Returned at 0910 with 10 or 11 covered hoppers, 1 loaded centerbeam, 1 tank and 2 loaded centerbeams.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

TC Man
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by TC Man »

AARR wrote:Less than an hour turnaround? That's fast. And it seems they picked up cars set out by the Owosso turn. Did they go to Clare?
AANscaleRunner wrote:Headed out of Cadillac towards McBain at 0815. Returned at 0910 with 10 or 11 covered hoppers, 1 loaded centerbeam, 1 tank and 2 loaded centerbeams.
Those same cars were reported on the NB train through Mt. Pleasant yesterday (these were the last cars in the list from CSX801's post yesterday)- sounds like they left half of their train around McBain yesterday and went this morning to retrieve them. Odd???
CEO of the Waving Institute- teaching great wave forms.

Todd_F
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Todd_F »

TC Man wrote:
AARR wrote:Less than an hour turnaround? That's fast. And it seems they picked up cars set out by the Owosso turn. Did they go to Clare?
Those same cars were reported on the NB train through Mt. Pleasant yesterday (these were the last cars in the list from CSX801's post yesterday)- sounds like they left half of their train around McBain yesterday and went this morning to retrieve them. Odd???
Interesting. They'd have to split the power so one loco could hang back, pull the cars off the rear of the train, then push them into the siding. Cool maneuver, but I doubt they had time for the reverse move this morning. The last two times I filmed them, it took CSTN 35 minutes to get from Lake Cadillac to McBain. hat's just enough time to grab a train off the main and get back to Cadillac. Can they leave cars on the main??
You know that little voice in your head? My wife says I lack that.

AANscaleRunner
Railroadfan...fan

Less than an hour would not have been enough time to get to McBain and back. I'm guessing these cars were left in Lucas overnight due to Selma Yard being a bit crowded these days.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

That makes sense. Does Lucas have a siding?
AANscaleRunner wrote:

Less than an hour would not have been enough time to get to McBain and back. I'm guessing these cars were left in Lucas overnight due to Selma Yard being a bit crowded these days.

MiRailProductions
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MiRailProductions »

AARR wrote:That makes sense. Does Lucas have a siding?

It has a stub... at one time it could've been a siding. According to Google Maps the stub ends about 300ft from the switch so I'm not sure they could fit 10 or 11 hoppers in there.
Last edited by MiRailProductions on Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If you are ever chasing trains, you're bound to end up on a 2-lane, double-striped road with a slow poke in front of you." -Danny Harmon
YouTube - Michigan Rail Productions
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPPgdn ... wZHDIyfk_Q

TC Man
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by TC Man »

AARR wrote:That makes sense. Does Lucas have a siding?

[/quote]

Just a stub-end siding facing the wrong direction, but being that they are the only train using these tracks, surely they can just leave a train on the main anywhere they please....

TC railman
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by TC railman »

A freind of mine said he got stopped by a train in TC with 3 cars. I didn't know they came with 3 cars???!!!??? maybe beacon and some lumber.

TC Man
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by TC Man »

TC railman wrote:A freind of mine said he got stopped by a train in TC with 3 cars. I didn't know they came with 3 cars???!!!??? maybe beacon and some lumber.
3 center beam loads for Amerhart. They have brought 4 couple times recently.

James Sofonia
Grand Traverse Dinner Train 1996

Unread post by James Sofonia »

Hope they don't have trouble in Acme. Some Gas Co. has started a pipe line project at the 5 mile crossing, and has torn up all of the Tart Trail North of there with new pipe laying on the trail along side the GLC main.

Dan Cluley
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Dan Cluley »

Thought I posted this earlier.

Went through Cadillac about 11:15 am on Thursday.

393 was sitting by the old engine house, and 392 with some lumber cars was up at the north end of town.