Lake State Z127 Flint turn

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
MDH
rp.net addict

Lake State Z127 Flint turn

Unread post by MDH »

With all the changes this year does anyone happen to know how the Lake State interchange run down to CSX in Flint is being run these days? What days of the week and what time on duty in Saginaw? I'd like to get up there again sometime.

Thanks,
Michael
Michael Harding
P&WV fan in HO

Todd_F
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Lake State Z127 Flint turn

Unread post by Todd_F »

Last I heard (a week or two ago), Saginaw crews are on duty about dawn and can depart for Flint between 8 and noon Sunday thru Thursday. Hopefully one of the more knowledgeable local guys can correct me if I'm wrong.
You know that little voice in your head? My wife says I lack that.

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

I saw on FB last week, quote "Z127 goes on duty around sunrise. Backlit on the trip south and backlit again by the time they head north again"
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

MDH
rp.net addict

Unread post by MDH »

Thanks for the replies guys!

Michael
Michael Harding
P&WV fan in HO

Todd_F
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Todd_F »

SD80MAC wrote:I saw on FB last week, quote "Z127 goes on duty around sunrise. Backlit on the trip south and backlit again by the time they head north again"
LOL! A southbound train on that line will be beautifully lit the entire way to Flint from 9:00am to 5pm. When in doubt, consult http://suncalc.net/#/43.409,-83.941,9/2017.09.13/18:02

Todd_F
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Todd_F »

Michael,
If you want to see some scenes from this particular run, I have a couple LSRC videos on YouTube from this year.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0lYfF ... 3Gg/videos

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Unread post by Y@ »

SD80MAC wrote:I saw on FB last week, quote "Z127 goes on duty around sunrise. Backlit on the trip south and backlit again by the time they head north again"
I saw that too and thought WTF?! When I chased an afternoon Z127 back in the spring, all I could think was how nice a morning southbound would look at a bunch of spots south of Bridgeport.
Bottom text.

Evan
Durand's Gingerbread Kid

Unread post by Evan »

Z127 goes on duty in the early morning, usually around 5am. They have been going south anytime between 06:30-11:00.
Typically to get a "good", well-lit northbound train it'd have to run sometime after 1600. Otherwise it's horrendously backlit.

MDH
rp.net addict

Unread post by MDH »

Y@ wrote:
I saw that too and thought WTF?! When I chased an afternoon Z127 back in the spring, all I could think was how nice a morning southbound would look at a bunch of spots south of Bridgeport.
The comments on that are *mostly* right, but if it runs right at the ass-crack of dawn on a mid-summer morning the southbound would be mostly side-lit (which some refer to as backlit) and would be horribly lit on a mid-afternoon return north. The one time I got a good chase of Z127 a couple years ago the light was great, but it was mid to late morning on a fall day. If anything, there were spots where it was a bit nosy because it was a little too late in the morning for the best sun angles.

Regards,
Michael
Michael Harding
P&WV fan in HO