Safest Grade Crossing In America

Posts that don't fit in the other train categories. Off Subject Chit Chat I tell you. :)
redcrumbox
Railroadfan...fan

Safest Grade Crossing In America

Unread post by redcrumbox »

ROFLMAO. If you never seen this, you haven't seen everything.

https://youtu.be/goKnQ66VpWg
Old EMD’s are the gift that keeps on giving.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: Safest Grade Crossing In America

Unread post by AARR »

:lol: What's the story behind placing crossing gates where there are no roads?
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

railrod1949
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by railrod1949 »

AARR wrote::lol: What's the story behind placing crossing gates where there are no roads?
That safest Grade crossing was located at 66 North Main Street, Wilton, CT about 30 plus miles northeast of New York City. That crossing was for a developer of a road to the condos/retail store that was never built after that developer went bankrupt. That track belong to the Metro North RR. The crossing signals at that crossing was finally removed. The track is the M-N RR Danbury Branch that run between Danbury and South Norwalk, Ct. The south end of the branch connect with the New Haven electric line. Metro North run 14 trains (nine each way). There are four through trains each way during the peak hours. That trackage was formerly the New York, New Haven and Hartford RR.
Last edited by railrod1949 on Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Thanks 1949
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Jochs
Iron Horse Whisperer

Unread post by Jochs »

redcrumbox wrote:ROFLMAO. If you never seen this, you haven't seen everything.

The FRA reports that train/deer collisions don't happen in this area as often now. :lol: :lol:

Here is another safe crossing, Center St. in Hartford, MI.
Why did they spend money for gates on a branchline that used to see a couple of trains a month? And when was the last time Hanson (or whatever company is there now) got rail service in Hartford?
ctrst.jpg
Jeff O.
Celebrating 11 years dial-up free!

(18:36:45) MagnumForce: Railfanning is way more fun when you stop caring about locomotives and signals
(19:11:29) cbehr91: I can't believe I'm +1ing Brent but +1

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

It still sees a few trains a month, Jeff. WMI runs to the interchange to grab hoppers for their customer.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

Burb8145
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Burb8145 »

Here's yet another safe crossing...Cicotte Street, Lincoln Park, Michigan. Why did CSX spend money by adding separate gates for the sidewalks when no one even uses those?
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
-Red Green

hoborich
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by hoborich »

Why did CSX spend money by adding separate gates for the sidewalks when no one even uses those?
Liability!
"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a TV commercial is right for you".

ConrailDetr​oit
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ConrailDetr​oit »

Grade crossing protection is built according to how much vehicle traffic the crossing sees rather than amount of trains. This is why branchlines that see one train a week may have overhead signals and gates versus crossing signs. The GLC Middleton Branch crossing at 127 is an example. The track sees about a train a week but crosses a major highway. There are some exceptions with higher speed tracks where gates are prefered over signs at lower volume vehicle grade crossings such as on the Mt Clemens Sub where crossbucks are being replaced with gates for higher speed and PTC / signal requirements.

Jochs
Iron Horse Whisperer

Unread post by Jochs »

SD80MAC wrote:It still sees a few trains a month, Jeff. WMI runs to the interchange to grab hoppers for their customer.
Ah. I didn't see an engine parked there (may have not been visible from Red Arrow Hwy)
I still don't see why crossing signals are necessary there!
Jeff O.
Celebrating 11 years dial-up free!

(18:36:45) MagnumForce: Railfanning is way more fun when you stop caring about locomotives and signals
(19:11:29) cbehr91: I can't believe I'm +1ing Brent but +1

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

They received a box car of tomato paste shortly after the new owners took over and that was it.
Jochs wrote:And when was the last time Hanson (or whatever company is there now) got rail service in Hartford?

railrod1949
Railroadfan...fan

AARR wrote:They received a box car of tomato paste shortly after the new owners took over and that was it.
Jochs wrote:And when was the last time Hanson (or whatever company is there now) got rail service in Hartford?
AARR is correct! It is Hanson Logistics- Food Process, located at 61834 Red Arrow Highway (old US-12), in Hartford Township, Hartford Public Schools District, Van Buren County.
It's about a mile east of Hartford. That track is owned and operates by the West Michigan RR (Pioneer Corp.). Their engines (locomotives) are parked behind Hanson Logistics Food Process buildings.
Last edited by railrod1949 on Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

SousaKerry
ALCOHAULIC

Unread post by SousaKerry »

Safest active crossing in Michigan? Possibly this one Demlow Rd. Rails cut both ends, last train about 15 years ago. Equipment stored online has not moved in 10 years. Hell even Google Maps hasn't been by for a street view. Even if someone could get the AA boxcar rolling the brush would stop it.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Raisi ... 83.9532756
What smells like lube oil and diesel.... Oh wait it's just my "Locomotive Breath"

railrod1949
Railroadfan...fan

Jochs wrote:

The FRA reports that train/deer collisions don't happen in this area as often now. :lol: :lol:

Here is another safe crossing, Center St. in Hartford, MI.
Why did they spend money for gates on a branchline that used to see a couple of trains a month? And when was the last time Hanson (or whatever company is there now) got rail service in Hartford?
ctrst.jpg
The building at the far right in the background is the Hartford High School, part of the Hartford Public Schools district.

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

railrod1949 wrote:
AARR wrote:They received a box car of tomato paste shortly after the new owners took over and that was it.
AARR is correct! It is Hanson Logistics- Food Process, located at 61834 Red Arrow Highway (old US-12), in Hartford Township, Hartford Public Schools District, Van Buren County.
It's about a mile east of Hartford. That track is owned and operates by the West Michigan RR (Pioneer Corp.). Their engines (locomotives) are parked behind Hanson Logistics Food Process buildings.
Not Pioneer since 2015. Now owned by the Hamilton-Hartford Rail Group.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

Michael
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Michael »

Here it is on Google Street view
https://goo.gl/maps/BSjHGniBVEy

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Because a safety gate costs less than a law suit. It's the same reason a lot of salt is thrown on sidewalks even if it snows just a little. Salt costs less than law suits.
hoborich wrote:
Why did CSX spend money by adding separate gates for the sidewalks when no one even uses those?
Liability!

M.D.Bentley
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by M.D.Bentley »

Burb8145 wrote:Here's yet another safe crossing...Cicotte Street, Lincoln Park, Michigan. Why did CSX spend money by adding separate gates for the sidewalks when no one even uses those?
Really ? Increased rail traffic and speeds and a near by elementary school . The Lincoln Secondary was a 10 mph putt putt line prior to the Conrail split. After being reconnected at Carleton and the instillation of welded rail bring faster trains, it was only common sense to protect the people that cross here and at other crossing in the city.

blueheron13
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by blueheron13 »

Really ? Increased rail traffic and speeds and a near by elementary school . The Lincoln Secondary was a 10 mph putt putt line prior to the Conrail split. After being reconnected at Carleton and the instillation of welded rail bring faster trains, it was only common sense to protect the people that cross here and at other crossing in the city.
Wait! When/why was the Lincoln Secondary once disconnected at Carleton? I've never heard about this.
Amateur railfan trying to become a real railfan since 2017.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

AARR wrote:Because a safety gate costs less than a law suit. It's the same reason a lot of salt is thrown on sidewalks even if it snows just a little. Salt costs less than law suits.
hoborich wrote:
Liability!
Safety gate? Look how easy it is to walk around it! :lol:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.