Great Lakes Central Updates August 2017

Daily whereabouts of train locations along with sightings for heads ups to other railfans.
BL2-1843
Howell Yardmaster

Re: Great Lakes Central Updates August 2017

Unread post by BL2-1843 »

csx801 wrote:Great Lakes Central back South through Mount Pleasant at 15:20

GLC 397 leading
GLC 396
Amazing how quickly some of these locomotives get around. Last evening at 9pm, GLC was over on CSX at Howell picking up 45 cars out of the Howell passing siding, on their way back north from Osmer after delivering a grain load. Power stopped right behind the house. In order, 385,398,397,396,393. 385 & 398 as well as 393 & 396 were back to back with each other, 396 was the odd man out and facing north. (west by me)

MiRailProductions
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MiRailProductions »

BL2-1843 wrote:
Amazing how quickly some of these locomotives get around. Last evening at 9pm, GLC was over on CSX at Howell picking up 45 cars out of the Howell passing siding, on their way back north from Osmer after delivering a grain load. Power stopped right behind the house. In order, 385,398,397,396,393. 385 & 398 as well as 393 & 396 were back to back with each other, 396 was the odd man out and facing north. (west by me)
Wait... they went to Osmer last evening? Dang, I live within two or three miles of Osmer and went all the way to Milan last evening just to see an NS Local, when I could've seen the GLC.
"If you are ever chasing trains, you're bound to end up on a 2-lane, double-striped road with a slow poke in front of you." -Danny Harmon
YouTube - Michigan Rail Productions
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPPgdn ... wZHDIyfk_Q

Todd_F
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Todd_F »

MiRailProductions wrote:
Todd_F wrote:392 and 398 will be picking up three locomotives before departing Owosso north. They will be stopping in Alma to drop off three locomotives. 396 and 397 will proceed north from Alma... if I understood them correctly.

UPDATE:
Still in Owosso at 1035.
Crew just told they'll be dropping 1 fertilizer at Shepherd, and 1 at Rosebush.

UPDATE #2:
They are sorting and picking-up the 3 locomotives now at 1052. GLC 393 will be one of the units collected, and set-out in Alma. Should be departing Owosso shortly after 1100.

UPDATE #3:
396 and 397 finished their set-out in Shepherd at 1350.
CONFIRMED - CSTN will come down to Rosebush to swap trains.
Also, 398/393/392 will run south from Alma with MM loads tonight or tomorrow morning. They may only make it to Owosso tonight.
Wow. I understand what they're doing, but it seems rather confusing. Interesting operation today I guess...
Crew said it was a crazy busy day and they're doing just about everything on that run that they could do. Oh, they also dropped 2 loaded center beams in Alma with the three units. It was a good easy chase day with all the stops.
You know that little voice in your head? My wife says I lack that.

Todd_F
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Todd_F »

MIRailProductions, listen to the Durand feed tonight and tomorrow b/c those Mid Michigan loads are going south. Not sure if that goes to Howell or Osmer, but with two GP35's (one the anniversary unit), it would be nice train to catch.

Todd_F
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Todd_F »

GLC 397 just got permission to use the PHY in Durand to double his train. He will then head south.

MiRailProductions
Railroadfan...fan

Todd_F wrote:Crew said it was a crazy busy day and they're doing just about everything on that run that they could do. Oh, they also dropped 2 loaded center beams in Alma with the three units. It was a good easy chase day with all the stops.
Wow, sure sounds like one! Are they using a different crew to go south? Unfortunately I was not able to catch them again, but oh well. One day, I will.
"If you are ever chasing trains, you're bound to end up on a 2-lane, double-striped road with a slow poke in front of you." -Danny Harmon

Todd_F
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Todd_F »

MiRailProductions wrote:
Todd_F wrote:Crew said it was a crazy busy day and they're doing just about everything on that run that they could do. Oh, they also dropped 2 loaded center beams in Alma with the three units. It was a good easy chase day with all the stops.
Wow, sure sounds like one! Are they using a different crew to go south? Unfortunately I was not able to catch them again, but oh well. One day, I will.
It definitely sounded like a different engineer.
I'm heading to Owosso first thing this AM to check and see if that unit train from MM is there, or the freight from the Cadillac train. Might give me an indication about what went south last night. Hopefully they run one this morning.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

There is a separate day and night crew operating from Owosso
Todd_F wrote:
MiRailProductions wrote:
It definitely sounded like a different engineer.
I'm heading to Owosso first thing this AM to check and see if that unit train from MM is there, or the freight from the Cadillac train. Might give me an indication about what went south last night. Hopefully they run one this morning.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Todd_F
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Todd_F »

Just got word on Facebook that the mid Michigan train left Alma with about 100 cars at 10 AM with GLC 392/393/398. It is headed for Osmer.

MiRailProductions
Railroadfan...fan

Todd_F wrote:Just got word on Facebook that the mid Michigan train left Alma with about 100 cars at 10 AM with GLC 392/393/398. It is headed for Osmer.
Once again, not in town... lovely. I hope you get to chase it though! :)

Todd_F
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Todd_F »

The above GLC train is currently sitting in Durand, waiting on BNSF empties to finish. GLC tacked a 4th loco on in Owosso; 397, on point. Shot him a few times already. Currently waiting at Pitt. As of this posting, GLC has not received permission to proceed south.

AANscaleRunner
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by AANscaleRunner »

395 and 399 left Cadillac for Clare at 0945 with 4 pulp wood loads, 3 cement, 1 pole, 1 idler, 1 pole, 1 covered hopper and 12 tie loads.

csx801
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by csx801 »

Great Lakes Central North through Mount Pleasant 1255

GLC 392 leading
GLC 393
GLC 398

2 hoppers
3 coke cars
17 tie loads
1 plastics hopper
1 tank
3 LPG tanks
17 cement hoppers

44 total
I am second guessing my count on the first few cars. The total may be +/- one or two

Edit: A photo from a friend helped me confirm my error. 4 Coke hoppers bringing the total to 45
Last edited by csx801 on Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

csx801
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by csx801 »

Great Lakes Central South through Mount Pleasant at 1450

GLC 393 leading
GLC 392

3 plastics hoppers
4 pulpwood loads
3 cement hoppers
1 feed hopper
2 empty pole flats
4 hoppers
5 tie gons

22 total

398 did not come back south.

AANscaleRunner
Railroadfan...fan

399, 395 and 398 return to Cadillac at 1605. Caught 4 hoppers and some of the tie loads. Nice to see three locomotives up here again.

Todd_F
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Todd_F »

AANscaleRunner wrote:399, 395 and 398 return to Cadillac at 1605. Caught 4 hoppers and some of the tie loads. Nice to see three locomotives up here again.
Nice! Keep us posted on what they do. Sounds like they may have considerable freight to move... somewhere.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Up until around 2006 TSBY kept three engines in Cadillac. Two handled the Cadillac-Yuma-Clare Turn and one handled everything north of Cadillac. Up until 2006 Integrity Iron and Metal, Cherry Growers and Schultz, Snyder & ??? (now Amerhart) required multiple switches per week. Plus, the cement terminal in Elmira was also switched multiple times per week. TSBY started growing the traffic north of Cadillac in the early 1990's and sustained it until just before GLC acquired them (2006). The reduction in rail service didn't have anything to do with TSBY's service.
Todd_F wrote:
AANscaleRunner wrote:399, 395 and 398 return to Cadillac at 1605. Caught 4 hoppers and some of the tie loads. Nice to see three locomotives up here again.
Nice! Keep us posted on what they do. Sounds like they may have considerable freight to move... somewhere.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

AANscaleRunner
Railroadfan...fan

398, 395 and 399 left Cadillac for Clare at 0920 with 2 wood chip hoppers, 8 tie loads and 1 covered hopper.

MiRailProductions
Railroadfan...fan

AARR wrote:Up until around 2006 TSBY kept three engines in Cadillac. Two handled the Cadillac-Yuma-Clare Turn and one handled everything north of Cadillac. Up until 2006 Integrity Iron and Metal, Cherry Growers and Schultz, Snyder & ??? (now Amerhart) required multiple switches per week. Plus, the cement terminal in Elmira was also switched multiple times per week. TSBY started growing the traffic north of Cadillac in the early 1990's and sustained it until just before GLC acquired them (2006). The reduction in rail service didn't have anything to do with TSBY's service.
Todd_F wrote:
I think the economic recession, which happened to be around the time that GLC acquired TSBY, really impacted the rail traffic up north. Thankfully, it looks like it's starting to come back, now that they're shipping close to 20 cars on average per week to Elmira, and Beacon in Traverse, who hopefully will become a permanent customer.

csx801
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by csx801 »

Great Lakes Central North through Mount Pleasant 1240

GLC 396 leading
GLC 397

1 plastics hopper
1 pole load
1 LPG tank