EL 725 SOLD**

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Re: EL 725 SOLD**

Unread post by MQT1223 »

Somebody paid up to let that thing roll out of Lansing...
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

BL2-1843
Howell Yardmaster

Unread post by BL2-1843 »

SousaKerry wrote:The word last year it was headed for Columbus, Oh for rebuild. If that is still true it sure is taking the long way around.

No more so than anything else that runs on CSX.

James Sofonia
Grand Traverse Dinner Train 1996

Unread post by James Sofonia »

Saturnalia wrote:
Pixl wrote:Is it rolling on it's own wheels?
Yes.
Glad to hear that. It would seem undignified for a classic locomotive to be rubbered around to it's new home.

tadman
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by tadman »

BL2-1843 wrote:
SousaKerry wrote:The word last year it was headed for Columbus, Oh for rebuild. If that is still true it sure is taking the long way around.

No more so than anything else that runs on CSX.
Was about to make that crack myself, as long as she doesn't see Kansas City, it's the short way...

Brian_F
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Brian_F »

Was watching the Deshler railcam (virtual railfan on youtube) and saw it go east about 9:05 pm dst.
Placed right behind a 4 unit leader.
I haven't lost my mind, it's on tape backup here somewhere...

http://www.railroadfan.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10311

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NS3322 »

The locomotive is at the Midwest Railway Preservation Society in Cleveland for repairs. After the repairs are complete it will go to the Stourbridge Line.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

I'm happy for the Stourbridge Line. They used to have a solid freight base but there's little if any left and survive on excursion
NS3322 wrote:The locomotive is at the Midwest Railway Preservation Society in Cleveland for repairs. After the repairs are complete it will go to the Stourbridge Line.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

James Sofonia

NS3322, thanks for the update. I've been watching the fate of this loco, my family lives in Cleveland. Maybe I can look it up next visit.

MP73point4
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MP73point4 »

Was at the Stourbridge Line shop in Honesdale last week. One F already in primer in their shop with plans to paint it into the maroon Pennsy 5-stripe scheme to match their passenger cars. Personnel there said COE 725 and an ex-CP B unit will join this one in the PRR 5-stripe scheme to make an A-B-A set. That will be sharp.
RR Pass Collector

SousaKerry
ALCOHAULIC

Unread post by SousaKerry »

MP73point4 wrote:Was at the Stourbridge Line shop in Honesdale last week. One F already in primer in their shop with plans to paint it into the maroon Pennsy 5-stripe scheme to match their passenger cars. Personnel there said COE 725 and an ex-CP B unit will join this one in the PRR 5-stripe scheme to make an A-B-A set. That will be sharp.
Gotta wonder what there funding source is? Hauling tourists is a darn hard way to make money. And how long of trains are they pulling to require an A-B-A set??
What smells like lube oil and diesel.... Oh wait it's just my "Locomotive Breath"

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NS3322 »

MP73point4 wrote:One F already in primer in their shop with plans to paint it into the maroon Pennsy 5-stripe scheme to match their passenger cars.
Is this unit one of the locomotives that were stored in Worthington/Columbus, Ohio (near the Ohio Railway Museum)?

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

SousaKerry wrote:
MP73point4 wrote:Was at the Stourbridge Line shop in Honesdale last week. One F already in primer in their shop with plans to paint it into the maroon Pennsy 5-stripe scheme to match their passenger cars. Personnel there said COE 725 and an ex-CP B unit will join this one in the PRR 5-stripe scheme to make an A-B-A set. That will be sharp.
Gotta wonder what there funding source is? Hauling tourists is a darn hard way to make money. And how long of trains are they pulling to require an A-B-A set??
Ever since they reopened a few years back following a temporary shutdown someone has been spending a lot of money repainting a good majority of the equipment and bringing a totally new look to the Stourbridge... This ABA set of F units these guys are creating will be a definite attraction and put them on the map for sure. Not many places where you can ride behind a complete set of F7's, regardless of their heritage.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

MP73point4
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MP73point4 »

Yes, the two A units are the ex-Montreal commute ones that sat in Columbus for quite a while at Silcott. They only have 4 or 5 passenger cars so, no, they don't need an A-B-A set to pull their train. They currently operate with a single BL-2 pulling everything.
The cars have all been redone recently and look very nice. They're all painted PRR so the whole train will match when they are done.
RR Pass Collector

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Is there any freight business left?
MP73point4 wrote:Yes, the two A units are the ex-Montreal commute ones that sat in Columbus for quite a while at Silcott. They only have 4 or 5 passenger cars so, no, they don't need an A-B-A set to pull their train. They currently operate with a single BL-2 pulling everything.
The cars have all been redone recently and look very nice. They're all painted PRR so the whole train will match when they are done.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

MP73point4 wrote:Yes, the two A units are the ex-Montreal commute ones that sat in Columbus for quite a while at Silcott. They only have 4 or 5 passenger cars so, no, they don't need an A-B-A set to pull their train. They currently operate with a single BL-2 pulling everything.
They don't need an ABA set for 5 cars from a power standpoint, but from an attraction standpoint it will be quite a draw.

To reply to AARR's post, to my knowledge no. Hasn't been a revenue freight on that line since the PC days I would think.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

In the early 1980's shortly after the short line took over there was 6-8 freight customers including Moore Business Forms that received 10-12 cars a week, a nylon rope plant, a feed mill or two, fertilizer and some others. The freight operation ran three times a week.
MQT1223 wrote:To reply to AARR's post, to my knowledge no. Hasn't been a revenue freight on that line since the PC days I would think.

SousaKerry
ALCOHAULIC

Unread post by SousaKerry »

They don't need an ABA set for 5 cars from a power standpoint, but from an attraction standpoint it will be quite a draw.
5 cars and 3 EMD 567s to pull it, darn I wouldn't want to pay that fuel bill. Surprised if they didn't turn the B unit into a slug and the second A unit into a power car or something.

Our little old 44 tonner pulls 4 cars with ease on the SMRS even up our .9% grade, for a while in the 2000s they did it on one engine and 3 cars, that is all of 165 HP and just 2 traction motors.
What smells like lube oil and diesel.... Oh wait it's just my "Locomotive Breath"

TrainWatcher
The Beast

Unread post by TrainWatcher »

BLE 725 went to Cleveland for her rebuild. Horizon Rail doing the work. Photos of her at American Steam's shops.

James Sofonia

TrainWatcher wrote: Photos of her at American Steam's shops.
Ummnn.. where?

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

The 725 was delivered to the Stourbridge Line last night per a post on Facebook of it in transit with the Sesquehanna.