Great Lakes Central Updates July 2017

Daily whereabouts of train locations along with sightings for heads ups to other railfans.
C&O6088
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Great Lakes Central Updates July 2017

Unread post by C&O6088 »

TC Man wrote:Ah, wonder if they dropped the empty, went to Williamsburg, and then went back to Beacon to get the now loaded car, or did they drop an empty and pick up a load?
I think your first thought seems to be right as I was in TC yesterday and there was not a car at Beacon.

C&O

AANscaleRunner
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by AANscaleRunner »

395 and 396 leaving Cadillac for Clare at 1050 with: 6 tie loads, 1 box, 13 tanks and 1 scrap.

AANscaleRunner
Railroadfan...fan

396 and 395 return at 1750 with: 2 coke hoppers, 1 covered hopper, 2 tanks, 2 wood chip hoppers, 1 covered hopper, 3 tie gons, 1 cement hopper, 2 tie gons, 1 pole flat, 2 cement hoppers, 3 tanks, 2 feed hoppers and 2 tanks.

MiRailProductions
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MiRailProductions »

Todd_F wrote:Questions for the experts;

Where might one expect GLC to stop along the way (if there are any stops) on the TC turn, and the Elmira/Petosky turn? I'm considering shooting both in the near future and would love as much information as possible before making the treks. I've already documented everything from Osmer to Cadillac, including the Middleton Branch, so these two lines seem logical. What speeds do they travel? Do they have small to modest trains or just one or two pieces of rolling stock?

Oh, and what is the story behind that GIANT "150" made of trees in Kalkaska???

THANK YOU for any help and info!
Sorry for the late reply... but the TC train usually runs 1-3 cars, sometimes a couple more if Amerhart is busy. In Traverse City, on the branch to Williamsburg, and on the Grawn Branch, the speed is 10mph, I think they go a bit faster south of TC but I'm not completely sure. The Elmira/Petoskey run can consist of anywhere from a modest train of only a half dozen or so cars to a 20+ car train. I know that north of Cadillac the track speed is 40mph. The track speed on the main north of Manton to Petoskey varies, some areas they can run 40mph, others only 25mph. This is only based on what I've gathered by watching videos and seeing them trackside. Not all of this info may be correct, but I hope it helps. And the "150" is kinda neat, I found it as well. I think it's a local trying to be funny or something.
"If you are ever chasing trains, you're bound to end up on a 2-lane, double-striped road with a slow poke in front of you." -Danny Harmon
YouTube - Michigan Rail Productions
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPPgdn ... wZHDIyfk_Q

TC Man
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by TC Man »

MiRailProductions wrote:
Todd_F wrote:Questions for the experts;

Where might one expect GLC to stop along the way (if there are any stops) on the TC turn, and the Elmira/Petosky turn? I'm considering shooting both in the near future and would love as much information as possible before making the treks. I've already documented everything from Osmer to Cadillac, including the Middleton Branch, so these two lines seem logical. What speeds do they travel? Do they have small to modest trains or just one or two pieces of rolling stock?

Oh, and what is the story behind that GIANT "150" made of trees in Kalkaska???

THANK YOU for any help and info!
Sorry for the late reply... but the TC train usually runs 1-3 cars, sometimes a couple more if Amerhart is busy. In Traverse City, on the branch to Williamsburg, and on the Grawn Branch, the speed is 10mph, I think they go a bit faster south of TC but I'm not completely sure. The Elmira/Petoskey run can consist of anywhere from a modest train of only a half dozen or so cars to a 20+ car train. I know that north of Cadillac the track speed is 40mph. The track speed on the main north of Manton to Petoskey varies, some areas they can run 40mph, others only 25mph. This is only based on what I've gathered by watching videos and seeing them trackside. Not all of this info may be correct, but I hope it helps. And the "150" is kinda neat, I found it as well. I think it's a local trying to be funny or something.
The "150" is not someone trying to be funny. It was done on the 150th anniversary of the state several years ago.
CEO of the Waving Institute- teaching great wave forms.

Todd_F
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Todd_F »

Thanks for the replies and info guys. It's very much appreciated!

Right on schedule, 395 & 396 departed Notth Yard for Selma Yard at 8am. I'll be chasing this run again today.
You know that little voice in your head? My wife says I lack that.

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

On my drive home from up north yesterday, no cars were seen in Petoskey, Mancelona, or Kalkaska. This was the first time I've ever not seen any hoppers in Petoskey.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

No cars in Petoskey! I wonder what's up? Think it might have something to do with the new transload on LSRC in Gaylord?
SD80MAC wrote:On my drive home from up north yesterday, no cars were seen in Petoskey, Mancelona, or Kalkaska. This was the first time I've ever not seen any hoppers in Petoskey.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

GP-35
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GP-35 »

You must be looking in the wrong spot, there is 15 plastic cars in Petoskey and more in North Yard ready to come north. You also missed the cement terminal in Elmira, last Tuesday there was 17 EMTS and 20 loads of cement.

AANscaleRunner
Railroadfan...fan

Leaving Cadillac for Clare at 1020.

MiRailProductions
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MiRailProductions »

TC Man wrote:
MiRailProductions wrote: Sorry for the late reply... but the TC train usually runs 1-3 cars, sometimes a couple more if Amerhart is busy. In Traverse City, on the branch to Williamsburg, and on the Grawn Branch, the speed is 10mph, I think they go a bit faster south of TC but I'm not completely sure. The Elmira/Petoskey run can consist of anywhere from a modest train of only a half dozen or so cars to a 20+ car train. I know that north of Cadillac the track speed is 40mph. The track speed on the main north of Manton to Petoskey varies, some areas they can run 40mph, others only 25mph. This is only based on what I've gathered by watching videos and seeing them trackside. Not all of this info may be correct, but I hope it helps. And the "150" is kinda neat, I found it as well. I think it's a local trying to be funny or something.
The "150" is not someone trying to be funny. It was done on the 150th anniversary of the state several years ago.
Ah, okay. I wasn't quite sure.
"If you are ever chasing trains, you're bound to end up on a 2-lane, double-striped road with a slow poke in front of you." -Danny Harmon
YouTube - Michigan Rail Productions
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPPgdn ... wZHDIyfk_Q

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

GP-35 wrote:You must be looking in the wrong spot, there is 15 plastic cars in Petoskey and more in North Yard ready to come north. You also missed the cement terminal in Elmira, last Tuesday there was 17 EMTS and 20 loads of cement.
I was, I was looking at the wrong siding. Didn't notice the cement in Elmira because 131 doesn't get that close!
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

Todd_F
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Todd_F »

CSTN through Marion at 11:22

csx801
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by csx801 »

Great Lakes Central North through Mount Pleasant 11:35

GLC 398 Leading
GLC 399

2 plastics hoppers
2 tanks
21 tie gons
1 wood chip hopper
6 cement hoppers
3 LPG tanks

35 total

AANscaleRunner
Railroadfan...fan

Today's train leaving Cadillac.

csx801
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by csx801 »

Great Lakes Central South through Mount Pleasant at 14:15

GLC 399 leading
GLC 398

5 plastics hoppers
2 wood chip loads
2 hoppers
1 coke empty
2 tanks

12 total

AANscaleRunner
Railroadfan...fan

Returned to Cadillac at 1515.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

From AANR's video the 21 tie gons didn't go to Cadillac like they normally do. They left them somewhere else. The customer is in McBain but it's a southbound switch and there's no passing in siding to run around the cars that I know of. I wonder if they separated the engines and pushed them in the customers spur :?
csx801 wrote:Great Lakes Central North through Mount Pleasant 11:35

GLC 398 Leading
GLC 399

2 plastics hoppers
2 tanks
21 tie gons
1 wood chip hopper
6 cement hoppers
3 LPG tanks

35 total
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Todd_F
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Todd_F »

AANscaleRunner wrote:Today's train leaving Cadillac.

LOL! He wasn't nearly as long as I'd hoped he'd be. I'm curious if any of that car kicking was for tomorrow's train (north)?

Here's when and where I caught him.
8:00 Depart North Yard
10:14 Depart Selma Yard
10:28 Seeley Rd
10:41 Arrive McBain
11:22 Marion
11:52 Lake George (store stop)
12:26 Farwell
12:37 Arrive Clare
It was a pleasure meeting you!
Last edited by Todd_F on Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

csx801
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by csx801 »

AARR wrote:From AANR's video the 21 tie gons didn't go to Cadillac like they normally do. They left them somewhere else. The customer is in McBain but it's a southbound switch and there's no passing in siding to run around the cars that I know of. I wonder if they separated the engines and pushed them in the customers spur :?
They leave cuts of tie loads around periodically. I've seen them leave loads in mount pleasant for short times. Maybe this is what happened today?
I never figured out why they do it. I always assumed McBain or Cadillac was too full to receive them, so they drop them on an available siding until Mcbain was ready for them.

On a side note, that cut had a clinchfield hopper hiding in it.