GE to end locomotive production in Erie, PA

News or chat about railroad info that pertains to the entire United States, another state, or country.
trainjunkie47
Railroadfan...fan

GE to end locomotive production in Erie, PA

Unread post by trainjunkie47 »

GE Transportation plans to eliminate all locomotive production at its Lawrence Park Township plant, except for prototype development, by the end of 2018.

GE Transportation plans to eliminate all locomotive production at its Lawrence Park Township plant, except for prototype development, by the end of 2018. That work is being transferred to Fort Worth, Texas.

The decision will result in the loss of as many as 575 hourly jobs, said Deia Campanelli, communications leader for GE Transportation. The plant currently employs more than 2,500 people.

http://www.goerie.com/news/20170727/ge- ... t-575-jobs

SousaKerry
ALCOHAULIC

Re: GE to end locomotive production in Erie, PA

Unread post by SousaKerry »

Well that's one way to get rid of all those overpaid union guys but leave all Engineering and salaried positions. I learned a long time ago anyone can turn a wrench so find a job where they pay you for what you know.
What smells like lube oil and diesel.... Oh wait it's just my "Locomotive Breath"

M.D.Bentley
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by M.D.Bentley »

SousaKerry wrote:Well that's one way to get rid of all those overpaid union guys but leave all Engineering and salaried positions. I learned a long time ago anyone can turn a wrench so find a job where they pay you for what you know.
Do you have a job? Are you a skilled tradesman? Do you have a family that you provide for? Let me get to the point, a lot of people on the outside want in and will complain until they do. All this does is disrupt a bunch of families until their skilled trades bread winners find work else where. And before you speculate , yes I do belong to a UNION and have for over 35 years.

SousaKerry
ALCOHAULIC

Unread post by SousaKerry »

Do you have a job? Are you a skilled tradesman? Do you have a family that you provide for? Let me get to the point, a lot of people on the outside want in and will complain until they do. All this does is disrupt a bunch of families until their skilled trades bread winners find work else where. And before you speculate , yes I do belong to a UNION and have for over 35 years.

Yes,

Yes, but I don't need a fancy card to prove it

Yes,

I wouldn't take a union job if it paid 10 times what I make now. Unions are killing this country, why else do so many companies go to non union states or leave the country. I work for a very large company with plants around the world. We are non-union and we like it that way. One of our plants decided to go union many years ago, after they did not get raises for a few years and their benefits were dropped the plant unanimously decided to ditch the union.

I have been a machinist for over 20 years and every union guy I ever met who held a journeymens card didn't know what end of the micrometer to hold. They loaded parts in a machine and hit a button all day, when they had a problem they called somebody else, and some union jackwipe gave them a card.

I now work in engineering and design and build production machinery. I traded the shop floor for a cubicle but I still get my hands dirty. It's the best of both worlds and you don't find that in ANY union shop.
What smells like lube oil and diesel.... Oh wait it's just my "Locomotive Breath"

M.D.Bentley
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by M.D.Bentley »

Honestly, unions would be unnecessary if employers would treat their employees better. Not always the case. But to rip on people with a union card is wrong. Unions did help create the landscape that we see today ( both the good and the bad) .