GTW Reefer to leave Tomorrow

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Re: GTW Reefer to leave Tomorrow

Unread post by GreatLakesRailfan »

J T wrote:
~Z~ wrote:
chapmaja wrote:Where exactly is this car that's being moved located at? Also what remains of the Ottawa Beach branch in terms of customers? How often is the branch served and by which train.
Located next to Sluggo's Pizzeria at 321 Douglas Ave, Holland, MI 49424.
Next to Brewery 4 Two 4 as well. :-) And also very close to an old ROW that used to cross Douglas Ave. Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if the car has been sitting in a spot on the old alignment.
From what I've been told, the car was sitting on that alignment. The rails were supposed to have been removed when the parking lot between the car (er, where it used to be) and Douglas Ave was installed, so what's currently in place would likely be all that remains of the spur. And rumor has it that we're taking those rails to Port Huron as well...
~ Charles W.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

GreatLakesRailfan wrote:
From what I've been told, the car was sitting on that alignment. The rails were supposed to have been removed when the parking lot between the car (er, where it used to be) and Douglas Ave was installed, so what's currently in place would likely be all that remains of the spur. And rumor has it that we're taking those rails to Port Huron as well...
Yeah, I always figured that car was sitting on the alignment based on its angled position to the building.
hollandspur1.jpg
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Ah...so that's where the spur wound up. It's hard to picture on the ground. Thanks for sharing the map.
~ Charles W.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

Where the spur originally went to is now Howard B. Dunton Park on Howard St. By the time I was old enough to be aware of that spur in the early 70s, it was already grown over and I wouldn't be surprised if the industry it served was already long gone. And that map is from 1912, so...
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

It's starting to sound like the move might actually happen over the course of this weekend. DTE203's starting to sound pretty excited.

Updates can be found on the GTW 206447 reefer move page via the PH&D RRHS' page on Facebook.
~ Charles W.

KenB
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by KenB »

Has this reefer moved to Pt. Huron and been unloaded?

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

KenB wrote:Has this reefer moved to Pt. Huron and been unloaded?
No. The truck that was supposed to move it this past weekend broke on Friday. Something will probably be posted before the next scheduled attempt to move it though. My understanding is that they have the necessary permits in hand at this time though (which was a problem when this thread was started)...
~ Charles W.

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Sounds like they're going to try again this coming weekend. Same plan as last week, with the overnight in Perry Saturday night.
~ Charles W.

KenB
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by KenB »

Any up-dates? Will reefer move today, get to PH on sunday and be off loaded?

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Sorry Ken, the move was called off Wednesday or Thursday, account of a driver not being ready. To be honest, I'm not really sure which driver- the guy coordinating the move was supposed to be on vacation this weekend anyway, and he REALLY wants to see it move. More than anybody else, I think...
~ Charles W.

KenB
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by KenB »

Thank you. Let us know in advance when it will move.

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

KenB wrote:Thank you. Let us know in advance when it will move.
As much as possible. Every time it's been announced as moving so far, something has interfered. The project mantra has become 'expect the unexpected'.

I honestly expect weekly moving announcements from now until it actually moves, only to have most announcements cancelled for various reasons sometime mid to late week.

If you're on Facebook, the PH&D RRHS is announcing the expected move dates on their page, as well as the (so far) following cancellations.
~ Charles W.

C&O6084
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by C&O6084 »

I honestly expect weekly moving announcements from now until it actually moves
No kidding. :lol:

Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

Unread post by Raildudes dad »

Permit issued to travel across 84th St in Kent County for 8/4/17.

Doktor No
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Doktor No »

Raildudes dad wrote:Permit issued to travel across 84th St in Kent County for 8/4/17.
The first reefer in Byron Center in 40 plus years. Maybe they can pickup a load of carrots while they're there?
Curb Your Enthusiasm.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

The first train of any kind to Byron Center since 1974.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

First, Ken, my apologies for the short notice on this post.

Second, the truck is supposed to be enroute to Holland to retrieve the trailer the reefer is sitting on. Every other day I've been over here lately, it's been sunny and the reefer hasn't left the parking lot. Maybe the rain will be what we need to get this thing on the road.

Third, it's Railfans Weekend at Crossroads Village (Genesee County) this weekend. (Figured I'd throw it in, since I'm making a list anyway...)

So... still no guarantees, but...we still have a few memories of a time when we hoped this thing would move...
~ Charles W.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

The reefer has left Sluggo's!
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

It's on its way to PH, but it won't move aga until Sunday, from what I've heard, as there's a mechanical problem with a piece of equipment needed to offload the reefer in PH, which is supposed to be resolved tomorrow... probably.
~ Charles W.

KenB
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by KenB »

Where is it parked?