GTW Reefer to leave Tomorrow

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

GTW Reefer to leave Tomorrow

Unread post by MQT1223 »

Fresh off the presses within the last hour, the GTW Reefer next to the Ottawa Beach Branch in Holland will be leaving its long time home tomorrow. No idea when, but it sounds like it's going early. Her destination, Port Huron...
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Re: GTW Reefer to leave Tomorrow

Unread post by MQT1223 »

Reefer move has been delayed...
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GreatLakesRailfan »

That's ok. We're going to come over and pay our respects anyway. :twisted:

The move was delayed because the permit(s) didn't get issued (yet). It sounds like the actual move could take place on Monday, if the permit gets issued.
~ Charles W.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

GreatLakesRailfan wrote:That's ok. We're going to come over and pay our respects anyway. :twisted:

The move was delayed because the permit(s) didn't get issued (yet). It sounds like the actual move could take place on Monday, if the permit gets issued.
Part of the reason was that the reefer was supposed to go down M-6, but the construction is forcing it elsewhere.

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

MQT1223 wrote:
GreatLakesRailfan wrote:That's ok. We're going to come over and pay our respects anyway. :twisted:

Part of the reason was that the reefer was supposed to go down M-6, but the construction is forcing it elsewhere.
If it had been moved last weekend, or even this week, there wouldn't have been a problem, but apparently whoever issues the permits didn't find out what the detour route was until M-6 was shutdown. One of the things floating around today was that the permit won't be issued until the detour route can be checked for possible obstructions.

Perhaps RaildudesDad can verify whether this is correct or scuttlebutt, as well as whether or not a permit would be issued for a weekend movement of an oversized trailer (it's somewhere around 14 feet tall)? There was some doubt that the movement would even be allowed on a weekend.
~ Charles W.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

Indeed, I'd be more interested as well to hear from RDD (or others) about this permitting process.

It seems like M6 would have been the best route, as it is newer and constructed to higher standards for clearance, among other things, than what would seem to be the best alternative, which is to use the 1960s-era I-196 from Hudsonville to Thornapple, which itself has construction zones in downtown Grand Rapids, which may also pose a width restriction as well as height! Yes, there have been significant improvements to what is accepted in roadway designs today, and there are plenty of things built into the Interstate system when originally constructed which would not follow guidelines today!

Construction guidelines are an interesting subject, one which I'm becoming acutely aware of this summer on my internship. For those who want to know what I'm talking about, here is the "tome" for Illinois projects, which pretty much tells you how to build a road in the State of Illinois using state funds...there is an entirely different set of guidelines for non-state projects. It has no fewer than 4336 pages in its current edition!

http://www.idot.illinois.gov/Assets/upl ... Manual.pdf

Anyways...interesting move guys...hoping to see more soon!
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

Unread post by Raildudes dad »

I will expound more when I'm off the clock but it's highly unlikely a permit for over height would be issued for the weekend.
No one checks the route. It's "self serve" online. If you're too high for a segment you get rejected. And get to start over :evil: Very frustrating system. Who's the mover?

chapmaja
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by chapmaja »

Where exactly is this car that's being moved located at? Also what remains of the Ottawa Beach branch in terms of customers? How often is the branch served and by which train.

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

The Ottawa Beach branch is served roughly twice a week by Y121. The only active customers are DeLuuw Lumber and Ryder Logistics.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

chapmaja wrote:Where exactly is this car that's being moved located at? Also what remains of the Ottawa Beach branch in terms of customers? How often is the branch served and by which train.
Located next to Sluggo's Pizzeria at 321 Douglas Ave, Holland, MI 49424.
Ottawa Beach spur serves De Leeuw Lumber Co and Michigan Natural Storage(recently Ryder/TLC). A rough figure of once per week served, sometimes twice, done by Y121 based out of Holland.
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

James Sofonia
Grand Traverse Dinner Train 1996

Unread post by James Sofonia »

Is this the refer car I found on street view?

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

Yes.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Raildudes dad wrote:I will expound more when I'm off the clock but it's highly unlikely a permit for over height would be issued for the weekend.
No one checks the route. It's "self serve" online. If you're too high for a segment you get rejected. And get to start over :evil: Very frustrating system. Who's the mover?
I'd appreciate that greatly. There seems to be a lot of bad information out there as to why the move didn't happen this weekend, and I think some of that is because a lot of us don't fully understand how this process works. I'd like to know a little more about what might have/probably happened, which probably wasn't translated correctly when the information was relayed amongst the small group that showed up to watch the work take place.

I was initially surprised to hear they'd been issued a permit to move it on a weekend, although that obviously turned out not to be the case.

Marc Kalis is the mover.

Alex, the west end of the eastbound lanes of M-6 we're shut down for replacement earlier this weekend. Otherwise it doesn't sound like there would have been any issues nearly as significant as this that would have delayed the move.
~ Charles W.

Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

I stand corrected, MDOT will allow moves on the weekend. It has to be no higher than 14 feet. I know Marc. I've even moved some RR equipment with him 8)

MDOT says they will issue a permit in 12 hours or less. My experience in getting permits is it can take only a hour or so IF everything is in order. The office is closed at 4:30 on Friday afternoon till 7:30 on Monday so one won't be issued over the weekend. I've also had the experience of working 8 hours to just get an application submitted. Very aggravating unfriendly system.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

At what point does a load need a permit to move? I assume there are statutory width, height and tonnage restrictions.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

Over length (varies on configuration - single, 2 unit or 3 unit, over width (102"), over height (13'6") and over weight (exceeding legal axle loads - varies on configuration 13,000 - 18,000 lbs). Any one requires a permit.

EWRice
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by EWRice »

Of all the limits, the axle loads are probably the biggest to watch. The fines are based on the amount of weight over you are, and they are not cheap. You would be shocked at the price of these fines.

The over width is something that cops are cracking down on. Many of my customers who have moved their boats for years with no problems, are now getting nailed.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

Sounds like next weekend could finally see it roll out but nothing set in stone.

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

MQT1223 wrote:Sounds like next weekend could finally see it roll out but nothing set in stone.
With this project, it could be a while before anything moves...and when it does, nobody will know until about 6 hours before it's supposed to happen. :roll:
~ Charles W.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

~Z~ wrote:
chapmaja wrote:Where exactly is this car that's being moved located at? Also what remains of the Ottawa Beach branch in terms of customers? How often is the branch served and by which train.
Located next to Sluggo's Pizzeria at 321 Douglas Ave, Holland, MI 49424.
Next to Brewery 4 Two 4 as well. :-) And also very close to an old ROW that used to cross Douglas Ave. Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if the car has been sitting in a spot on the old alignment.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.