Great Lakes Central Updates June 2017

Daily whereabouts of train locations along with sightings for heads ups to other railfans.
TC railman
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Great Lakes Central Updates June 2017

Unread post by TC railman »

AANscaleRunner wrote:398 and 399 return to Cadillac at 1710 with 1 tank, 1 cement hopper, 1 passenger car, 19 cement hoppers, 1 loaded centerbeam, 4 covered hoppers (feed) and 4 empty pulpwood flats. Any ideas on the passenger car?
So should we see a train in TC tomorrow with that center beam? I'm ready if it is.

TC Man
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by TC Man »

TC railman wrote:
AANscaleRunner wrote:398 and 399 return to Cadillac at 1710 with 1 tank, 1 cement hopper, 1 passenger car, 19 cement hoppers, 1 loaded centerbeam, 4 covered hoppers (feed) and 4 empty pulpwood flats. Any ideas on the passenger car?
So should we see a train in TC tomorrow with that center beam? I'm ready if it is.
Probably, and they'll grab the load from Beacon on the Grawn branch as well.
CEO of the Waving Institute- teaching great wave forms.

TC railman
Railroadfan...fan

TC Man wrote:
TC railman wrote:
Probably, and they'll grab the load from Beacon on the Grawn branch as well.
There a costumer!?!!?

MiRailProductions
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MiRailProductions »

There a costumer!?!!?[/quote]

Yes. I believe Beacon will be a permanent customer for the GLC up in Traverse. An NS Top Gon made its way up the GLC system a couple days ago, that may be going to Beacon today. I'll be trackside in Traverse once I get the report that a train left Cadillac north.
"If you are ever chasing trains, you're bound to end up on a 2-lane, double-striped road with a slow poke in front of you." -Danny Harmon
YouTube - Michigan Rail Productions
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPPgdn ... wZHDIyfk_Q

TC Man
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by TC Man »

MiRailProductions wrote:There a costumer!?!!?

The NS Top Gon was a tie load for McBain. See my post way above regarding Beacon, straight from the manager.

MiRailProductions
Railroadfan...fan

tumer!?!!?[/quote]

The NS Top Gon was a tie load for McBain. See my post way above regarding Beacon, straight from the manager.[/quote]

Oh ok, I assumed that was for Traverse. I will keep in mind about what the manager said for future situations. I'm chasing the TC train today, if they even show up. Does anyone know if they left Cadillac?
"If you are ever chasing trains, you're bound to end up on a 2-lane, double-striped road with a slow poke in front of you." -Danny Harmon

TC railman
Railroadfan...fan

MiRailProductions wrote:tumer!?!!?

The NS Top Gon was a tie load for McBain. See my post way above regarding Beacon, straight from the manager.[/quote]

Oh ok, I assumed that was for Traverse. I will keep in mind about what the manager said for future situations. I'm chasing the TC train today, if they even show up. Does anyone know if they left Cadillac?[/quote]
There's a gondola at beacon! It's loaded!
Attachments
Beacon siding.
Beacon siding.

TC railman
Railroadfan...fan

Has the train gone north

MiRailProductions
Railroadfan...fan

I went chasing GLC to Williamsburg this morning. 398 was leading a centerbeam. We caught him near the old depot around 1055, and then we caught him at 4 mile around 1115. It was all going well except for the fact that I forgot my tripod... well, I was out at Lautner Rd., and as the train went by, my camera fell off of the bike trail post that it was sitting on. It's not in very good condition, so RIP camera, 2009-2017.

TC railman
Railroadfan...fan

MiRailProductions wrote:I went chasing GLC to Williamsburg this morning. 398 was leading a centerbeam. We caught him near the old depot around 1055, and then we caught him at 4 mile around 1115. It was all going well except for the fact that I forgot my tripod... well, I was out at Lautner Rd., and as the train went by, my camera fell off of the bike trail post that it was sitting on. It's not in very good condition, so RIP camera, 2009-2017.
So it's in TC

TC railman
Railroadfan...fan

Leaving becon

TC Man
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by TC Man »

I happened to be on Woodmere Street just a bit ago and came across GLC (a very clean, shiny #398) leading a loaded gondola and empty center beam. There was a kid in a little red car with a camera/tripod set up taking pics.

James Sofonia
Grand Traverse Dinner Train 1996

Unread post by James Sofonia »

TC Man wrote:I happened to be on Woodmere Street just a bit ago and came across GLC (a very clean, shiny #398) leading a loaded gondola and empty center beam. There was a kid in a little red car with a camera/tripod set up taking pics.
Yes I saw that too at the TC train station. They were headed back to Cadillac. I wonder how they did the switching at Grawn and Williamsburg to get the scrap car in the middle?

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

If there was one engine they probably ran around their train at Grawn and Williamsburg respectively. However, I've heard one of those industries (Amerhart?) can be gravity switched.
Pixl wrote:
TC Man wrote:I happened to be on Woodmere Street just a bit ago and came across GLC (a very clean, shiny #398) leading a loaded gondola and empty center beam. There was a kid in a little red car with a camera/tripod set up taking pics.
Yes I saw that too at the TC train station. They were headed back to Cadillac. I wonder how they did the switching at Grawn and Williamsburg to get the scrap car in the middle?
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

James Sofonia

I've been to Amerhart with video cam in hand. I was busy giving the engine a close look when all of a sudden the car was out on the main. Darn, missed moments. They backed up to it and headed for TC. I think they had given the car a little shove with the yard fork lift and it is down hill from there.

James Sofonia

A day late but here is TC's departure to Cadillac on Friday. The extra interest is the loaded gon of scrap metal, first of service returning to Becon recycling formerly Rifkin after several years. Traverse City has doubled its customers with this new service, and of course more stuff for us to photograph. :)

TC railman
Railroadfan...fan

Im in the orange shirt!

MiRailProductions
Railroadfan...fan

Was the passenger car one of the BiLevels, or was it in GLC paint? It could be one of those tests they're doing for the commuter rail they plan to put in, or it could be an OCS or a private excursion.

TC Man
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by TC Man »

MiRailProductions wrote:
Was the passenger car one of the BiLevels, or was it in GLC paint? It could be one of those tests they're doing for the commuter rail they plan to put in, or it could be an OCS or a private excursion.

It would not be for a test as it was in Cadillac. No commuter rail up there.

I wonder who it was in TC in the red car taking pics or video of GLC?

James Sofonia

TC Man wrote:
I wonder who it was in TC in the red car taking pics or video of GLC?

Wasn't me, I drive a old silver GMC Yukon. Here is another shot at the train station. The fellow on the left was quite a character. He was collecting cans and bottles and said he wasn't a railfan but he named all the GLC engine numbers that come up here.