Great Lakes Central Updates June 2017

Daily whereabouts of train locations along with sightings for heads ups to other railfans.
AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: Great Lakes Central Updates June 2017

Unread post by AARR »

Happy belated birthday :D
AANscaleRunner wrote:395 and 392 left Cadillac for Clare at 0915 with 1 tank, 5 pole loads, 1 wood chip hopper and 3 tie loads.

392 and 395 return to Cadillac at 1625 with 2 tanks, 1 covered hopper, 11 cement hoppers and 12 tie loads.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

AANscaleRunner
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by AANscaleRunner »

AARR wrote:Happy belated birthday :D
Thank you. Was on vacation last week. Took the Badger to Wisconsin and visited Duluth. (With some railroad related stops on the way. :D )

AANscaleRunner
Railroadfan...fan

Likely went north out of Cadillac today before 0900. I didn't hear or see them at all through town.

AANscaleRunner
Railroadfan...fan

395 and 392 left Cadillac for Clare at 0945 with 4 tanks, 12 tie loads and 11 cement empties.

csx801
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by csx801 »

Great Lakes Central South through Mount Pleasant 14:18. I missed the power, and most of the consist, but managed to see a good string of cement empties.

AANscaleRunner
Railroadfan...fan

399 and 398 return to Cadillac at 1530 with 1 wood chip hopper, 6 tie loads, 1 tank, 3 covered hoppers (feed), 1 loaded centerbeam, 1 pole load and 1 tank.

Todd_F
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Todd_F »

Just curious if anyone knows roughly how long GLC keeps power on the same turns? Or rather, how frequently they might change the power? I'd love to catch 393 on the Cadillac or Owosso Turn and photograph it for a few days this summer. Thanks!
You know that little voice in your head? My wife says I lack that.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

The Cadillac engines tend to stay around for a week or so but I'm not sure how often the Owosso engines are rotated.
Todd_F wrote:Just curious if anyone knows roughly how long GLC keeps power on the same turns? Or rather, how frequently they might change the power? I'd love to catch 393 on the Cadillac or Owosso Turn and photograph it for a few days this summer. Thanks!
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

csx801
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by csx801 »

AARR wrote:The Cadillac engines tend to stay around for a week or so but I'm not sure how often the Owosso engines are rotated.
Todd_F wrote:Just curious if anyone knows roughly how long GLC keeps power on the same turns? Or rather, how frequently they might change the power? I'd love to catch 393 on the Cadillac or Owosso Turn and photograph it for a few days this summer. Thanks!
Cadillac power turns every few weeks, usually when they need service in Owosso. I typically see them turn it once a month, sometimes more. Owosso power rotates depending on what is being serviced and what power is demanded.

They usually try to keep the 38-2's running, but occasionally one of the 35's show up. If they send the 35's to cadillac while they service the 38-2's, they will turn the 35's back to Owosso after they finish servicing the 38-2's. They always have at least one 38-2 in cadillac. Note: all of these claims are based on observation.

399 and 398 have been floating around for the past month or so on the Owosso turn, occasionally 390 shows up in the mix.

Todd_F
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Todd_F »

csx801 wrote:
AARR wrote:The Cadillac engines tend to stay around for a week or so but I'm not sure how often the Owosso engines are rotated.
Cadillac power turns every few weeks, usually when they need service in Owosso. I typically see them turn it once a month, sometimes more. Owosso power rotates depending on what is being serviced and what power is demanded.

They usually try to keep the 38-2's running, but occasionally one of the 35's show up. If they send the 35's to cadillac while they service the 38-2's, they will turn the 35's back to Owosso after they finish servicing the 38-2's. They always have at least one 38-2 in cadillac. Note: all of these claims are based on observation.

399 and 398 have been floating around for the past month or so on the Owosso turn, occasionally 390 shows up in the mix.
Thank you both for the insight! It's kind of what I expected based on what I've seen and is reported here as well. It's nice to know that if 393 shows up on one of the turns he'll likely hang around long enough to get shots. I've given up trying to find any rhyme or reason to the Osmer turn.
You know that little voice in your head? My wife says I lack that.

AANscaleRunner
Railroadfan...fan

Heard them move from Selma Yard to North Yard before 0900. Haven't heard them since, assuming northbound out of Cadillac.

James Sofonia
Grand Traverse Dinner Train 1996

Unread post by James Sofonia »

They just came thru the East side of Traverse city at 1145. I heard the horns but no time to get down to the tracks to see them.

AANscaleRunner
Railroadfan...fan

And back into Cadillac at 1515.

TC Man
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by TC Man »

AANscaleRunner wrote:And back into Cadillac at 1515.
GLC went to Grawn today! Ran around an empty gondola they brought up with a center beam load and dropped the gondola at Beacon Recycling!
CEO of the Waving Institute- teaching great wave forms.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

It was around the late 1990's and Integrity Iron and Metal hadn't shipped by rail in a long time. Mr. TSB and his railroad, TSBY, persuaded II&M to try rail again. In a few years they extended the siding by around 150' (so they could load 3 additional cars at a time) and some weeks would ship 15-20 cars. When Rifkin took over II&M (around 2006) rail serviced stopped almost immediately. There was a rumor Beacon might try rail service. Let's hope it works out.
TC Man wrote:
GLC went to Grawn today! Ran around an empty gondola they brought up with a center beam load and dropped the gondola at Beacon Recycling!

penn central
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by penn central »

AARR wrote:It was around the late 1990's and Integrity Iron and Metal hadn't shipped by rail in a long time. Mr. TSB and his railroad, TSBY, persuaded II&M to try rail again. In a few years they extended the siding by around 150' (so they could load 3 additional cars at a time) and some weeks would ship 15-20 cars. When Rifkin took over II&M (around 2006) rail serviced stopped almost immediately. There was a rumor Beacon might try rail service. Let's hope it works out.
TC Man wrote:
Yep it was on Facebook a couple weeks ago that there was brush cutters and track maintenance equipment working on the old Rifkin Siding to revamp the tracks, Very nice to hear.

TC Man
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by TC Man »

][/quote]
Yep it was on Facebook a couple weeks ago that there was brush cutters and track maintenance equipment working on the old Rifkin Siding to revamp the tracks, Very nice to hear.[/quote]

Penn Central, can you link the Facebook page?
CEO of the Waving Institute- teaching great wave forms.

AANscaleRunner
Railroadfan...fan

399 and 398 left Cadillac for Clare at 0925 with 2 covered hoppers, 1 pole load, 1 wood chip hopper, 1 empty center beam and 10 gondolas. Don't believe they were tie loads, may have been some of the gons stored out towards M-115.

James Sofonia
Grand Traverse Dinner Train 1996

Unread post by James Sofonia »

I checked out the Grawn branch today. This is the recently cleaned up siding at Beacon recycling with the gon sitting there.

Here they are loading it. Nice newer car with almost no graffiti.

Rails near Brimley Rd. that haven't seen a train in a long time finaly get use.

AANscaleRunner
Railroadfan...fan

398 and 399 returned to Cadillac at 1525 with 4 cement hoppers, 3 pole loads, 15 cement hoppers, 2 pole loads and 1 feed covered hopper.