Mt. Pleasant Passenger Cars

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Mt. Pleasant Passenger Cars

Unread post by NS3322 »

Who owns and what are the reporting marks for the passenger cars being stored at the Mt. Pleasant Commerce Center?

They are located at 43.60952, -84.78616

Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Mt. Pleasant Passenger Cars

Unread post by Super Chief »

Last I knew they were all removed last year, dont know where they went but GLC moved the last one along the main in the fall, the other 3 were gone before that.

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NS3322 »

Super Chief wrote:Last I knew they were all removed last year, dont know where they went but GLC moved the last one along the main in the fall, the other 3 were gone before that.
Thanks for the info.

csx801
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by csx801 »

I watched them pluck the last car from along the main this past fall. The Mt pleasant to Clare fall colors train snagged it before it departed south for Owosso. The other cars, I have no clue when those left. The track is not very passable without heavy brush clearing. They may possibly still have equipment there, I'll inspect later this afternoon.

Edit: I drove by, and can confirm everything has been pulled

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NS3322 »

csx801 wrote:I watched them pluck the last car from along the main this past fall. The Mt pleasant to Clare fall colors train snagged it before it departed south for Owosso. The other cars, I have no clue when those left. The track is not very passable without heavy brush clearing. They may possibly still have equipment there, I'll inspect later this afternoon.
Do you know the reporting marks of the cars or where they went?

csx801
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by csx801 »

NS3322 wrote:Do you know the reporting marks of the cars or where they went?
Unfortunately, I was never able to get close enough to get the reporting marks. I believe the last one to leave is at SRI, but don't quote me on that. I don't recall hearing any leaving GLC property

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NS3322 »

RANX 1494 is at the SRI, tucked away in the back. What are the plans for this car?
And what's going on with the derelict Pennsy and C&O passenger cars in the GLC yard?

MiRailProductions
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MiRailProductions »

NS3322 wrote:RANX 1494 is at the SRI, tucked away in the back. What are the plans for this car?
And what's going on with the derelict Pennsy and C&O passenger cars in the GLC yard?

I think I've seen older videos from the 90s when the 1225 pulled excursions with this passenger car in tow, and the SRI does talk a bit about how they are low on passenger cars... I think they have something in mind.
"If you are ever chasing trains, you're bound to end up on a 2-lane, double-striped road with a slow poke in front of you." -Danny Harmon
YouTube - Michigan Rail Productions
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPPgdn ... wZHDIyfk_Q

Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Super Chief »

SRI told me on the fall color train to Cadillac that they purchased a sleeper from Ringling Brothers circus train. Got it for a good price according to Arnie. Don't know when the expected arrival is though.

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NS3322 »

Looking over Google Streetview imagery, it appears two of the stored cars in Mt. Pleasant were of GTW heritage. Any idea where those ended up?

What is the story with the PRR Samuel Rea?

And does anyone know the number of this C&O passenger car?

Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

Unread post by Raildudes dad »

The C&O car came from the station in Traverse City years ago. The RANX 1494 was a Lake Central Rail Tours dining car. I was conductor on quite a few dinner trains to Clare from Mountain Town Station Mt Pleasant. Sometimes they served lobster stuffed ravioli as an appetizer. I made quite a few meals from the appetizer alone. Mmmgoood:) The duck entree also was delicious:):) (The crew ate good on those trips:) )