Railroadfan Spring Meet 2017 - Rochelle IL 6/24-6/25

Locomotive identification, railfan locations, frequency information, etc. can be found here.
MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Railroadfan Spring Meet 2017 - Rochelle IL 6/24-6/25

Unread post by MQT1223 »

So we never had a fall meet, what's the status on having a Spring meet?
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Re: Spring RRFan Meet???

Unread post by ~Z~ »

Last spring meet for 2016 was Deshler area... spring 2017? We'll do a new spot for us.. Rochelle IL. You guys mentioned it a lot for this past fall and other years, so let's give it a try. Lets shoot for the first weekend in summer, June 24-25. I have some work travels in early June, so planning this gathering later in the month. Thank you Jeff L for mentioning the 18th is Fathers Day.
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Spring RRFan Meet???

Unread post by GreatLakesRailfan »

Rochelle??? YAY!!!

I'm looking forward to it already!!! :D
~ Charles W.

BerkshireKid
sofa king we todd

Re: Spring 2017 RRFan Meet???

Unread post by BerkshireKid »

Brace yourselves for the "It's to far of a drive" posts.
I'll try to make it.
Rule #1: BerkshireKid is God. Rule #2: God is always right. Rule #3: If you think you may actually be right refer to Rules #1 & #2.

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GreatLakesRailfan »

BerkshireKid wrote:Brace yourselves for the "It's to far of a drive" posts.
I'll try to make it.
If you and I can make it, it's not too far. And Rochelle is an easy drive, at least from this end of Michigan.
~ Charles W.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

Can't we do it sooner while Saturnalia is still stuck in Da UP? :twisted: :lol:
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

MQT1223 wrote:Can't we do it sooner while Saturnalia is still stuck in Da UP? :twisted: :lol:
I mean, unless you want it to be cold and crappy. We're done at the end of April...usually too early for this.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

Saturnalia wrote:
MQT1223 wrote:Can't we do it sooner while Saturnalia is still stuck in Da UP? :twisted: :lol:
I mean, unless you want it to be cold and crappy. We're done at the end of April...usually too early for this.
Then again, I don't want to miss BerkshireKid's shenanigans behind Alex like last year. :lol:

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

I wonder if anybody will be tossing rocks at low-flying targets again?

I'm assuming the town's horn ban includes collector editions?

I hope so... :roll:

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

Why does it have to be Rochelle? Has basically every railfan hotspot been picked over? Why not Delray or something?

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

MQT1223 wrote:Why not Delray or something?
You've obviously never been to a RRFan meet...

We've done Deshler so much because it's a perfect place with plenty of trains, an established park where neither the community nor the railroad would bother us, has a fire pit, and in general allows for railfans to mingle (and party) in peace and safety.

Delray doesn't fit that bill...like at all.

Rochelle is a bit under 4 hours from KGRR. Deshler is 3 hours 30 minutes.

Carpooling is a thing.

You asked where the meet was going to be, so there it is. Good choice, something new, and something that fits the bill. :D

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

I know Rochelle has been brought up countless times, and this year will be my first meet.

What criteria does a location have to have to be a good meet location? Someone other then Saturnalia please...

Who says we have to go railfan freight trains? Why not ride a passenger train or chase an excursion?

Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Unread post by Ypsi »

MQT1223 wrote:Why not Delray or something?
I assume you've never been to or seen delray outside of photos/ videos. Delray is a fine spot for a couple people.. but it wouldn't want and can't really have a large group there. No parking, it's dirty, and the area doesn't include many close food/ restroom options at all. I enjoy delray, but I wouldn't send a group of people there.
MQT1223 wrote: Who says we have to go railfan freight trains? Why not ride a passenger train or chase an excursion?
Admin says Amtrak trains aren't trains so that how it be. Also that kind of defeats the purpose of meeting and chatting. For a railfanning meet you really want a place where you can sit and talk instead of have to be moving, chasing, or setting up shots for an excursion/ chase. It should be a relaxed gathering with chances to catch up.. trains are normally secondary from what I have seen in meet reports.
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown

Jetlink
Not a Railfan

Unread post by Jetlink »

Agree with the above. The meets are about 70% social and 30% about the trains. Most of us want to meet, hang out, and catch up primarily. The trains just provide the back drop. Having a place to easily park and relax as well as nearby facilities and food makes a good location for a meet. Of course you need some decent amounts of rail traffic too. That's what I appreciate about this website the most. We actually go out an see each other in person instead of just continually insulting each other online. Once you meet someone in person you a have a little more empathy for them. Sounds like Rochelle should have all of that.
interested in trains

Patiently waiting for LansingRailfan to antagonize me in his tagline

Evan
Durand's Gingerbread Kid

Unread post by Evan »

The few times I have been to Delray, I watched many drug deals go down. That doesn't bother me really, as long as you don't stare the people down or make yourself out to be suspicious. I've only been to Rochelle once. Train traffic was what I expected (I was there about a month before the Signals got cut over and the horn ban took effect). The shots are pretty bland (pretty well done by everyone and not many that haven't been done). However, Cortland still has the older style CNW signals (if they are your forte). Nelson also has a bridge of signals as well as an old coaling tower.

Now -- Just an idea to toss around, maybe consider Port Huron? Fairly local, there's a platform for foaming, boats and other neat stuff around there. I think the PH&D society guys are still by the depot area, so that could be something to check out too. Just a thought.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

I'd go if it's in PH. Maybe even ride my bike (40 miles one way) 8)
Evan wrote:Now -- Just an idea to toss around, maybe consider Port Huron? Fairly local, there's a platform for foaming, boats and other neat stuff around there. I think the PH&D society guys are still by the depot area, so that could be something to check out too. Just a thought.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

atrainguy60
Saginaw Sub Foamer

Unread post by atrainguy60 »

Jetlink wrote:The meets are about 70% social and 30% about the trains.
If that's the case, then Durand could still be considered a good meeting spot. It may not be the busiest in the area, but it seems to me it's a good spot right in the middle of the state, not too far from people on both the west side and the east side, and right by those in the middle. It's got the ATCS up at the depot in the window for people sitting by the tracks outside. When I go on Thursday's or Friday's, it usually get's busy from about 2pm to 5pm/6pm with a few eastbounds and 1-2 westbounds and 451 coming north up the Holly (there's also the HESR and GLC, but I'm guessing they won't show up on the weekend when the meet would presumably take place; there is also usually an westbound or two in the mid morning). I can't speak for the weekend though I haven't really rail fanned Durand on those days, other than I'm pretty sure the short lines don't run on those days aside from extra grain and coal trains.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

I was thinking the same thing as atrain. I'd go to Durand too.
atrainguy60 wrote:
Jetlink wrote:The meets are about 70% social and 30% about the trains.
If that's the case, then Durand could still be considered a good meeting spot.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

So what I'm hearing is train traffic doesn't matter at this point then.

Holly, Michigan has plenty of space to meet, the Saginaw and Holly Subs and is in close proximity to everything food wise.

Plenty of nice places that lack serious train traffic over on the other side but still have trains with plenty of meeting areas.

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

Not true. While the social aspect may make up 70% of what constitutes a "good meet", and trains the other 30%, there is still a criteria. Traffic very much matters, the whole point of everyone traveling a long distance to meet up is to enjoy each other's company and watch a good number of trains. Durand and Port Huron, while good places to sit, do not meet that criteria.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/