Lake State Railway 2/18/17

Give us a run down of what you saw, post pictures if you'd like...any info is welcome.
Todd_F
Railroadfan...fan

Lake State Railway 2/18/17

Unread post by Todd_F »

Here's a short video of LSRC train Z120 being put together at Saginaw Yard, and then filmed several times on its way to Flint. Enjoy!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90-UBot6ozI&t=14s
You know that little voice in your head? My wife says I lack that.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: Lake State Railway 2/18/17

Unread post by AARR »

Thanks Todd. I liked it.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Fred
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Fred »

I enjoyed the video. I see by the date it was a sat, what time of the day was it & did you chase the train back to Saginaw ?
Thanks

Todd_F
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Todd_F »

AARR wrote:Thanks Todd. I liked it.
You're very welcome.
Fred wrote:I enjoyed the video. I see by the date it was a sat, what time of the day was it & did you chase the train back to Saginaw ?
Thanks
The crew was on duty at 12:30 and climbed in the locos about 1. From what I understand they're normally on duty around noon. They have air in the yard so hooking up to their train is usually a pretty quick process.

He got into McGrew Yard about 4:30. I did not stick around to chase the dark run back (if they went back north that is).

I'm glad you liked it!

Fred
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Fred »

Thanks. was hoping they left earlier since you reported trip only took about 90", figured there would be light left to chase him back but that later start fro Saginaw kills that idea !

Todd_F
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Todd_F »

Fred wrote:Thanks. was hoping they left earlier since you reported trip only took about 90", figured there would be light left to chase him back but that later start fro Saginaw kills that idea !
You're welcome, Fred. This train also took an extra hour to locate and set out a bad car, so...

This time of year, the train running in good daylight both ways is probably uncommon, however, on long summer days shooting this train both ways is VERY easily doable. In fact, you get much better lighting on the train for the NBD trip (this from a local friend who chases it regularly)

Also, it's a very easy chase with 75 paralleling the route most of the way. Couple that with a 25 mph limit (10 through Clio), and multiple shots are EASY to acquire on this route. This was my first chase on the LSRC... and I think I managed fairly well. ;)

Fred
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Fred »

Todd,
I'd say you did real well ! Thanks for info, think I'll wait until May/June to go up that way.

Todd_F
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Todd_F »

Fred wrote:Todd,
I'd say you did real well ! Thanks for info, think I'll wait until May/June to go up that way.
Contact me before you go and I'll see if I can get you reliable On Duty times, staff days off, etc. You don' want to go up if nothing is running. :)

Fred
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Fred »

Will do, thanks again.
Fred